A move to the dark side

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The one I saw at Knibbs also has pretty wood on it. Maybe (cynical) the first few out are being sent out with decent timber to stimulate interest/sales?
Think they did that with the 692! I saw lots of really nice woodwork on the first batches in my local gunshops, but all the new ones I see now are nowhere near as nice!

Think they did that with the 692! I saw lots of really nice woodwork on the first batches in my local gunshops, but all the new ones I see now are nowhere near as nice!
Ha ha do you think we might be on to something here  :sarcastic:

Normal silver pigeon sporter and the 692 sporter weighs the same?!

Maybe light for a trap gun, but most sporters I see for sale are on or just under 8lbs.

Last edited by a moderator:
Normal silver pigeon sporter and the 692 sporter weighs the same?!

Maybe light for a trap gun, but most sporters I see for sale are on or just under 8lbs.
Not so many successful shots use a gun weighing less than 8.25 lbs.. Tin hat..

That's where I have been going wrong - rushing out the door to buy an 11lb K gun and I shall reign supreme  :hunter:

Some of us are happy to have lighter guns, in fact it is a necessity to enjoy shooting.  I am giving up trying to be George or Richard as my gun is too light for me to succeed  :fie:

That's where I have been going wrong - rushing out the door to buy an 11lb K gun and I shall reign supreme  :hunter:

Some of us are happy to have lighter guns, in fact it is a necessity to enjoy shooting.  I am giving up trying to be George or Richard as my gun is too light for me to succeed  :fie:
The petite are excused. :)

[SIZE=14.3999996185303px]J.M.O. but I believe it is down to your frame, fitness and shooting style as to what suits you best, 18st, 6'+ you're probably better with a heavy gun 32-34" barrels, for a petite lady, 6st dripping wet, in wellies then a heavy gun with 34" barrels is just absurd.[/SIZE]

I reckon this longer barrel length thing is a trend led by the preference of GD, &co for longer barrels. Interesting that Todd Bender went to 34" then came back to 32?", Clayton Harris has done similar (32" back to 30" I think).

[SIZE=14.3999996185303px]While have no pretensions at being any good (yet), at a fit(ish) 5'8" I find my B525 + muller chokes giving a barrel length of 29+" works best for me. My grandfather 6'+, who had a reputation for hitting everything he shot at had 28" fully choked barrels made for his personal shotgun, when I first noticed that I had to scratch my head and wonder WHY? Having found out what works for me, gone from 31" - 29" and started to tighten my chokes for sporting, I now know why.[/SIZE]

Actually GD also tried 34" but went back to 32", he was also a relatively later changer so talent and skill are clearly more important but the fact remains the long gun trend started 30 years ago and shows no sign of abating. The famous can choose to shoot whatever they want.

Not so many successful shots use a gun weighing less than 8.25 lbs.. Tin hat..

My point was more along the lines that the OP's gun isn't "more of a game gun", as most other sporters in that league of guns seem to weigh the same (Browning 725, Beretta 686, 692, Ceasar guerini Summit, etc).

But I am sure you're prbably right about the top shots using heavier guns...

[SIZE=14.3999996185303px]Lovely looking gun, gorgeous timber in the stock[/SIZE]

So are most of the top shots using 30-32" barrels then?

So are most of the top shots using 30-32" barrels then?
In general, top sporting/fitasc shots 32" most of the top 'fast trap' and skeet guys I've seen shoot prefer 30", DTL guys either/or...but lots I see at the top of DTL shot 32"

Can I just ask as a relative newbie, why is a heavier gun supposed to be better? I wouldn't be comfortable for very long with a gun of say 10lb due to an injury I sustained in my left shoulder. I'm just happy shooting and don't aspire to be a top performer so it makes little difference, but I'm interested to know why heavy is better. I've been around shooting sports many years (although clay shooting is fairly new to me) and have heard all sorts of myths and stories of whats best in each line of sport I've been involved with, mostly they are stories made up by folks scratching for another step up the ladder of success and often don't carry any real validity. Generally the top end keep things simple and mess around with very few technicalities but have excellent technique and form. I wonder if heavy guns, long barrels etc. are in the same bracket as the often talked about myths that are not really relevant to performing at the highest level.

Can I just ask as a relative newbie, why is a heavier gun supposed to be better? I wouldn't be comfortable for very long with a gun of say 10lb due to an injury I sustained in my left shoulder. I'm just happy shooting and don't aspire to be a top performer so it makes little difference, but I'm interested to know why heavy is better. I've been around shooting sports many years (although clay shooting is fairly new to me) and have heard all sorts of myths and stories of whats best in each line of sport I've been involved with, mostly they are stories made up by folks scratching for another step up the ladder of success and often don't carry any real validity. Generally the top end keep things simple and mess around with very few technicalities but have excellent technique and form. I wonder if heavy guns, long barrels etc. are in the same bracket as the often talked about myths that are not really relevant to performing at the highest level.
Heavy in clay shooting context means not less than 8 lbs but probably no more than 9.5 lbs, it is true there are a few good performers using 10+ guns but mainly in the Trap field. 

The reasons are relatively straightforward, recoil absorption which alleviates fatigue is primary, heavier guns also tend to be steadier and lend themselves to repeatability of methods/routines, in short they take less out of you and are easier to shoot well with. 

All things are relative - weight and length are both a compromise, a 20 lbs gun would be near recoil free but probably unshootable, a gun with 36" tubes would probably be better than 32" on a given target but overall the 32" wins.

Gun movement needs to start and stop in a progressive controllable fashion, that can be repeated smoothly. A light gun is a handicap for this. Simple.

My 692 is over 8lbs.....8.4 to be OCD about it....

And it has 32" barrels for when I become a top shot.

It's got it all really, apart from me....

Latest posts

Back