2nd Barrel not firing?

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Santa2512

Had a 100 bird shoot today,

Two rounds,  two differing layouts,

Varied mix of Teal, Rabbits, High crosser etc.

The last stand of the day was a sim pair of teal, with a high arc, say about 85 degrees, but relatively close, so it was a quick

one two on the birds.

I took the first cleanly, but the trigger wouldn't pull for the second.

No bird was called and i took the pair again, with the same outcome,  kill on the first and no trigger on the second, 

(almost as if the safety was on)

I repeated the pair and got a clean kill on both, on the last pair it did it again,

Now  I've been using Lyavale express  high velocity 24g, instead of my usual Gamebore evo 24's

So i dropped in a pair of Evo's, and switched to the top barrel for my first shot. 

The pair broke cleanly, 

I then did a further 25 on the pool shoot just to make sure it wasn't  something untoward. 

25 clean shots

What do you think, too light a cartridge for the angle of shot, meaning not enough recoil to set the 2nd trigger?

or something else?

:santa:

Possible low recoil not setting second trigger, or you are not letting the trigger go after the first shot, this will cause a non responsive trigger for second shot.

I had this problem a few weeks back and blamed the gun. I took it out again for a practice when it had been suggested that I hadn't released the trigger and shot thinking about this and the gun never failed to fire once.

So it might have unconsciously been you and neither the shell or the gun are to blame as Will suggested.

If you hold the gun too loosely with light loads there is sometimes not enough resistance to trip the interrupter and set the 2nd bbl.

Cleaning may be an answer as well

Last edited by a moderator:
hi all

I get this in the winter months cold hands,  on a  pair of fast birds,

dont get it in the summer so it got to be me,

i try to keep my hands and forearms warm but it started already

sorry it dont help but you are not alone

john

The last stand of the day was a sim pair of teal, with a high arc, say about 85 degrees, but relatively close, so it was a quick

one two on the birds. I took the first cleanly, but the trigger wouldn't pull for the second.

:santa:
If the gun misbehaves everywhere then the source is usually either the cartridge primer that is too hard or of course a faulty gun mechanism / weak striker etc. Here the clue is in the highlighted bit, if the trigger wouldn't pull it means it wasn't re-set which often happens on quick doubles where tension can lead to forgetting to let go of the trigger to allow it to cock for the second shot.

I had the same occasional issue - and it turned out to be a 'sticky' inertia block... gunsmith fixed it in 20 minutes, not seen it since. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Possible low recoil not setting second trigger, or you are not letting the trigger go after the first shot, this will cause a non responsive trigger for second shot.

If the gun misbehaves everywhere then the source is usually either the cartridge primer that is too hard or of course a faulty gun mechanism / weak striker etc. Here the clue is in the highlighted bit, if the trigger wouldn't pull it means it wasn't re-set which often happens on quick doubles where tension can lead to forgetting to let go of the trigger to allow it to cock for the second shot.
This ^^   I've done it myself.

Happened to me yesterday!

I had to make a "concious" effort to fully let go of the trigger with my index finger, and then re-pull it. Voila, it fired fine!  

As a bonus, I was very lucky that I still managed to hit the second clay despite my distraction!

'had the same occasional issue - and it turned out to be a 'sticky' inertia block... gunsmith fixed it in 20 minutes, not seen it since'

+1 but only on my old berretta no probs with the k80

'had the same occasional issue - and it turned out to be a 'sticky' inertia block... gunsmith fixed it in 20 minutes, not seen it since'

+1 but only on my old berretta no probs with the k80
It shouldn' tever happen on a K-80 as they have a mechanically selecting trigger, the instant you fire the first barrel it selects the second and does not need the recoil to do so.

I have seen this happen a couple of times with Express 24 gram and Beretta guns. Usually as suggested a sticking inertia block. Take the stock off and clean out the action, it can be caused by congealed grease.

Back