100 reg skeet

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave Lamble

Hello to all.

Just wondered if someone can help have been shooting sporting for a few years now but really like shooting skeet!

I have shot at a local ground to me but only practise ( 25 )

When you shoot 100 reg how is it run??? Do you just start again after shooting the first 25 or what???

Many thanks

Dave

I only did 100 reg skeet once (then decided it wasn't for me). It was at Bisley and we used four different skeet layouts. Not sure if this is just Bisley or not.

But basically, it's just 4 rounds in a row. Overwhelming..

Hi Dave,

You usually shoot the 25 straight after each round, sometimes you use 1 range, sometimes split between 2 ranges so you shoot

50/50, in major Competitions you can shoot 25 on 4 ranges as we call a walk through.

There should always be a referee preferably fully qualified to oversee the registered shooting, in cases of Competitions there is always a qualified referee. 

Dave,

It has already been pretty much summed up. The format will vary slightly from ground to ground in terms of how many ranges they use, but it is usually 4 rounds straight after each other.

I have a couple of further bits of advice...

i). Take everything you will need to the range with you. So four boxes cartridges (plus spares). Remember that earplugs and glasses are MANDATORY in registered events and you must wear them. Try to avoid needing to go back to your car between rounds if at all possible. Most of the shooters who shoot it regular have a "range bag" just big enough for cartridges and a few extra bits that they want / might need.

ii). Tell them at the booking desk that it is your first registered and they will help you at most grounds. (Martine @ Northmapton is great). Then i would also tell the referee / scorer and your new squad mates. This will usually mean they will help guide you if you get in a fuddle.

iii). Take a drink bottle with you to grab a sip from between rounds if you want. Nothing worse than being 2 rounds in and wanting a drink.

One more tip if Northampton is to be your first registered shoot - especially if you have not been there before. On a sunny day you will want sunglasses for stations 1 through 3 in the morning especially in the winter due to the low sun being in the wrong place. Not such a problem once the clocks change in spring.

Last tip.... relax and enjoy it as its not so daunting really.

Skeetfreak , nice one. Correct , helpful and comprehensive advice in plain english. Exactly what new shooter's need . 

I've got a free pass next Saturday (24th) If you fancy a meet up I'll shoot 100 reg skeet with you :) Might even treat myself to 100 reg allround as well, as its on (be rude not too)   :D

Do you have to be CPSA registered to enter these Narthampton events?

Lookin on their site they have registered competitions every week.

I'm in Suffolk so it's not all that far for me.

Last edited by a moderator:
Owen B,

Yes you do need to be a member of the CPSA....

If your based in suffolk then Lakenheath is another great option for skeet. They do NSSA skeet twice a month if you would prefer.

Plus NSSA membership is only $40 a year.

Owen B,

Yes you do need to be a member of the CPSA....

If your based in suffolk then Lakenheath is another great option for skeet. They do NSSA skeet twice a month if you would prefer.

Plus NSSA membership is only $40 a year.
Thanks.

I have CPSA clubman membership. Is that sufficient.

Yes I only just saw those at Lakenheath. So I need NSSA membership also? And I've just had a really quick look at the rules as they shoot a different sequence. Interesting!!

hello furzat did you want to shoot saturday 23rd or sunday 24th because im down to shoot rbss on the saturday but can do the following week (30th)

up to you will be nice.

OwenB,

I honestly have no idea if clubman membership will do. You would need to ask.

Yes you would need NSSA membership to shoot that version of skeet but it is simple enough to join on-line ( https://www.nssa-nsca.com/Webforms/NSSAMbrNew/Default.aspx ) you want the 1 year regular membership and you go from there. It is slightly different in the following ways:-

i) Targets are slightly faster (fly 8m further)

ii) No pair on station 4

iii) station 8 is used instead of above

iv) On station 7 they throw the high bird first on singles

Dont know if it still applies, but it used to be, you could turn up at a NSSA shoot and you would get your first years membership free , worth a phone call to Pete Usher (Lakenheath )

hello furzat did you want to shoot saturday 23rd or sunday 24th because im down to shoot rbss on the saturday but can do the following week (30th)

up to you will be nice.
Doh! meant the 24th SUNDAY, Brain fade :(  I will be at a bun fight in Swindon on Sat 23rd, some form of AGM to do with the cpsa apparently :lol: Mrs Fuz is going to shoot too :)

You do not need to be a CPSA member to shoot a registered comp but your score won't count for anything and it can't be registered to you. If you have clubman membership it is pretty much the same.

If you just want to try out a comp then shoot as a non member, if you want to be serious and get a classification and actually compete then you need to be a full CPSA member.

Did my first one this morning at the NCSC. Not done too much Skeet (only 2 full rds prior to today) but do enjoy it. A few friends were entering so thought I would have a crack. Was a bit nervous for 1st round but to be expected although still managed 22 which is a pb for me. Ended up with 81x100 which I am well happy with.

We did 50 on one stand then 50 on another. 2nd stand the wind was up and the clays were moving up & down a lot more. Ref tells you when you missed, what you need to repeat etc so no probs there. Just remeber to nominate high or low bird first on your stand 4 pair.

Well up for do some more now. Btw did not wear glasses and never got picked up on that with 3 diff ref's.

Good start :) Is it telephone entries at Bisley or can you just rock up? I know Northampton is just rock up and Martine gets you on a squad or you go out on your own when she gets a ref free. Will have to get a meet up at Bisley sometime 

On a safety note I would really recommend wearing glasses for skeet, you can get away with it for trap and sometimes sporting but I have been showered with bits many times shooting station 7 high bird and depending on the wind, station 1 low bird too :fie:  . I know its a pain when its hammering down but its your vision here guys :blind:

Latest posts

Back