Dilly-Dallying

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

owdladben

When shooting I find myself holding onto the clay at times, I know where/how to shoot the clay (most of the time  :wink: ) but hang on and ultimately end up missing... I just can't get myself to pull the bloody trigger sooner .. Maybe I'm just thinking too much or there's doubt in my mind. Anyone know how I can stop this bad habit? Cheers!  :cool:

Trust your brain....when it tells you to pull the trigger, pull it. 

In my experience as long your set up and prep is right, this generally works. 

I think that, to a degree, we are probably all guilty of this in one form or another. I found myself doing just this at a fast crossing L to R followed by an equally fast R to L crosser, both around 30 yards. Between the ears said,  "Fast 30 yarders, 5 feet should do it "  ?   Tried the maintained lead bit, but that was a mega failure. Went back to basics.....................point at.................pull ahead and ..........BANG........success  !  I admit to being guilty of misreading a target and giving it yards of lead, by going back to the basic 'point at, pull ahead' method, it looks like half of the previous lead,  and they break  ?  

Of course...............there is always GOLF  !

Holding on too long, is often caused by picking up too soon, on a bird that gives you lots of time.

I shoot gun down, so if a bird gives me lots of time, I will hold my gun lower and mount more slowly, so that I am not tracking the clay too long.

Iggy is right too about setup.

If you setup on your kill point, then come back to your hold point...then look where you want to see the bird, the gun almost shoots itself! 

In another note, I shot somewhere new today (Hawley), straighted most of the hard ones and shot like a knob on the easier ones. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
When shooting I find myself holding onto the clay at times, I know where/how to shoot the clay (most of the time  :wink: ) but hang on and ultimately end up missing... I just can't get myself to pull the bloody trigger sooner .. Maybe I'm just thinking too much or there's doubt in my mind. Anyone know how I can stop this bad habit? Cheers!  :cool:
I can relate to this ,   is it lack of confidence ?   if I shoot my first pair  well     I start to measure the lead   think way too much about it  and  stop the swing through   lost lost    mmmm annoying .

Holding on too long, is often caused by picking up too soon, on a bird that gives you lots of time.

I shoot gun down, so if a bird gives me lots of time, I will hold my gun lower and mount more slowly, so that I am not tracking the clay too long.

Iggy is right too about setup.

If you setup on your kill point, then come back to your hold point...then look where you want to see the bird, the gun almost shoots itself! 

In another note, I shot somewhere new today (Hawley), straighted most of the hard ones and shot like a knob on the easier ones. :)
Probably explains then why when I shot the same stand as a simo and not on report I did better as I'm not tracking the clay too long.    :angel:

Of course...............there is always GOLF  !
I've thought about tieing string to the end of my barrels and trying fishing instead :wink:  but then again something keeps bringing me out every Sunday to shoot some more  :eek:

Put in some open chokes. Your head will then be telling you " if I don't shoot this early it will be out of range"

Latest posts

Back