shooting for your county

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ehb102

To win a place in the team to represent my county at English Sporting you have to shoot the county championship. I understand it's not that way everywhere. What do other counties do instead?

I think it's discretion. The county champs generates the first few places, but I shot for Berks having crashed and burned at the champs. I was ranked third or fourth in Berks on the CPSA rankings page, which is how they should select everybody of course, as it shows diversity.

So Berks does the same thing? Win your place at the County championship. Of course, you can fill up from elsewhere. 

I'm looking for examples for other counties. Which County is it that demands you shoot several competitions? I have a talk to give at the weekend and my research via county websites has been fruitless so far.

One of the few jobs that a CPSA County Committee has to do is decide how they are going to select their teams for the Inter County Championships within their region. Some use the county championship for each discipline to pick the top 10/12 shooters to represent the county. Its usually the county champions job to organise the team. This has an appeal in that those who shoot for the county will probably go no further and to say they represented their county is enough for them. There are some counties, Hampshire is one, who use no system at all and choose who is shooting the best at that particular time. Richard Faulds for example rarely shoots a county championship but is in the team for the inter-counties more often than not. Obviously. Some counties use CPSA rankings at the time of the shoot to decide who represents them. Each method has its merits, Hampshire win lots of inter-counties, but a lot of shooters in other counties wear their badges/fleeces/caps for a long time after they have shot.

Liz, within Gloucestershire at the AGM we "select" a team manager for each of the various disciplines, it's his/her task to select teams from those that are / will be available to compete at the regional and hopefully the national inter counties, some teams pick themselves however Sporting is the most competitive team be the selected for and from experience the most difficult to agree a "set in stone" formula for selection 

Liz

Think Derbyshire have "selection" shoots to pick their county team .I suppose doing it this way you only get those who are committed to the county and actually want to shoot for it.

Jasper

Hi Liz, In Notts you have to shoot the County Championship to win a place in any of the county teams. If the team places aren't filled from the Championship then the team manager will try and fill the places through other means (rankings or who simply is available).

We pay for some of the entry when shooting for the county so we try and support shooters that support the county, shoot the county events and pay their levies rather than just the top shots. 

The team manager will be someone who is on the committee or who has expressed and interest in the position.

Every county is different and there are plus and minus points for every method.

Hope that helps :)

Hi Liz, In Notts you have to shoot the County Championship to win a place in any of the county teams. If the team places aren't filled from the Championship then the team manager will try and fill the places through other means (rankings or who simply is available).

We pay for some of the entry when shooting for the county so we try and support shooters that support the county, shoot the county events and pay their levies rather than just the top shots. 

The team manager will be someone who is on the committee or who has expressed and interest in the position.

Every county is different and there are plus and minus points for every method.

Hope that helps :)

Yep, it's the same in Lincolnshire. The county championship determines the teams for all categories. If one of those selected can't make it then the next best score is considered. Only once all the entrants at the county championship have been exhausted will we look elsewhere. 

This really is the only fair way to do it although it does sometimes come at the expense of picking a winning team.

Here in Suffolk, the team is selected from that disciplines county championship, :cool:

When i lived in Essex there was a series of selection shoots for a team place in ESP now they pick straws !!!  :wub:

In Shropshire , the popular disciplines all have qualifiers at different registerd grounds, you submit your score (to the discipline captain - name on the Shropshire cpsa website) the top places go through, to make a team some disciplines never get a team entered, due to the low numbers who want to shoot ( OT and double rise spring to mind) 

Here in Wales each county holds 3 selection shoots with your two best scores to count. Then the top 10 seniors along with 2 ladies, 2 vets and 2 juniors then go to the final.

To shoot for New Zealand you have to shoot 3/4 or 4/5 selection shoots. These usually consist of out Sporting (FITASC)  Nationals  and FITASC Grand Prix as compulsory shoots and say four others which you must shoot two. Your best two others counting First past the post.

There used to be issues of our Council and individuals selecting Teams, but that was not fair and open to all sorts of issues.

Our Sporting Committee made a decision and it is now clear cut and fair and everyone knows exactly what they have to do.

Normally we select Teams for Oceania every year and on a cost (distance and $$$) basis the World FITASC every few years.

Our parent body does not pay anything (always an issue) to shooters but our Sporting Committee levies shooters which is paid out to team members, usually $1,000 per member.

Not a lot but better than nothing.

As flood defence says, in Wales it's best 2 from 3 shoots, usually 2 40s x 50 will get you in,

only two current internationals per team. 

For the international teams it's best 4 scores from 8 qualifying shoots, working on a points away system, (ie) winning score is 92, you score 85, that gives you 7 points. 

You need as few points as you can get over your best 4, around the 26 mark ( English sporting) will probably get you in the team. IMHO it's the best way to find the most consistent shooters over a period of 6 months or so, therefore fairly likely to perform at the home international

Thank you to those who responded. This was for my talk at the Shotgun & Chelsea Bun Club conference on Saturday. I was on straight after Cheryl, who is a tough act to follow as she's very engaging. And everyone loves her of course. Luckily the questions people were asking Cheryl were what I was talking about so I knew people would be interested.

My talk went well, my county skeet vest got lots of cheers and lots of people said the whole thing waswas funny and inspirational. As lots of them  said they had checked the CPSA website after my talk hopefully it will result in more women shooting in the inter counties. I talked about ShootClay so perhaps a few people will wander over. 

As flood defence says, in Wales it's best 2 from 3 shoots, usually 2 40s x 50 will get you in,

only two current internationals per team.

For the international teams it's best 4 scores from 8 qualifying shoots, working on a points away system, (ie) winning score is 92, you score 85, that gives you 7 points.

You need as few points as you can get over your best 4, around the 26 mark ( English sporting) will probably get you in the team. IMHO it's the best way to find the most consistent shooters over a period of 6 months or so, therefore fairly likely to perform at the home international
​Ashley, Good to see you back mate. Atb Joe.

Hi joe, hope you are well, I'd send you a pm if I could work out how to on this new layout

what the hell have they done to this forum? And where are Nicola and no1 topdog?

Hi joe, hope you are well, I'd send you a pm if I could work out how to on this new layout

what the hell have they done to this forum? And where are Nicola and no1 topdog?
Sadly they have left and I can't get messaging to work either.  Good to have you back Ashley.

Latest posts

Back