Shotgun Grant Application Met Police

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

prize94

After having couple of lessons I finally sent my Shotgun application on the 26th , now it's the waiting game :)

Met's are quite good I heard so we will see.

How long you guys have waited?

Thanks

Prize.

Don't know about an application for a certificate, But my renewal only took 3 weeks with the Met. Good luck.

My husband and I are in Kent and he sent his renewal off beginning of December as it ran out mid Jan. after numerous phone calls chasing up etc, firearms officer turned up yesterday and was very apologetic but said they were so short staffed due to sickness it was taking forever. I said my certificate runs out in November when should I put my renewal in and he said as soon as possible!!! He told us it was taking between 3-6 months as they are so busy and not enough staff!

Renewal for husband from date of interview 22nd Dec to receiving Certificate 28th February.  Paperwork obviously off before that.

Seems this is more of a lottery these days than ever before. The good news is that some of the combined forces, mine included, do seem to be improving. 

Fingers crossed you don't have to wait too long :good:

I only waited 3weeks from put application to getting my certificate with leicestershire police. Hope you don't have to wait to long.

You want to come to France the police have no input, unless you are a criminal. Simply go to your local shooting club get a licence have your doctor certify you as fit to shoot, get a gun and shoot! I get a new cert every year and never see anybody but my doctor to endorse my cert. Not gloating just highlighting how things within the EU can be so different, if they tried to change things here to how it is done in the UK there would be riots :) I think you can have hand guns here as well ! What I am trying to say is that in the UK people applying to legally have shotguns are treated as though the are getting them for the wrong reasons, here the assumption is that if you are applying for a license you want to shoot clay targets or hunt ... if you were a criminal you would go and get what you needed from another criminal! Firearm control here is tougher but still I think easier to obtain a cert than in the UK and there are strict controls about calibre and military ammo.

I'm in Hampshire, they tell me it will take 43 days from the date on my acknowledgement letter. The 43rd day is on Thursday so I phoned the Firearms Department, for them only to tell me it still hasn't been sent to my local officer. I think ill be waiting a while yet!

OT -

I am probably moving to France, Burgundy area, is the licence application the same all over France.

Could I also ask you to recommend any local forums.

Thanks

You want to come to France the police have no input, unless you are a criminal. Simply go to your local shooting club get a licence have your doctor certify you as fit to shoot, get a gun and shoot! I get a new cert every year and never see anybody but my doctor to endorse my cert. Not gloating just highlighting how things within the EU can be so different, if they tried to change things here to how it is done in the UK there would be riots :) I think you can have hand guns here as well ! What I am trying to say is that in the UK people applying to legally have shotguns are treated as though the are getting them for the wrong reasons, here the assumption is that if you are applying for a license you want to shoot clay targets or hunt ... if you were a criminal you would go and get what you needed from another criminal! Firearm control here is tougher but still I think easier to obtain a cert than in the UK and there are strict controls about calibre and military ammo.
Much more civilised in France John! I can remember many years ago, I went on a cross pond fag and booze run. Went to a big supermarket just outside Calais, walked around looking for the booze and stuff, only to be confronted by a pallett of shotgun shells sitting right next to a pallett of sugar! Imagine seeing that in the local Tesco's  !!!!! :laugh:

I'm in Hampshire, they tell me it will take 43 days from the date on my acknowledgement letter. The 43rd day is on Thursday so I phoned the Firearms Department, for them only to tell me it still hasn't been sent to my local officer. I think ill be waiting a while yet!
43 days, that's a laugh, my wifes took 7 months from hampshire, 2 years ago. I hope things have improved for you pirate?

43 days, that's a laugh, my wifes took 7 months from hampshire, 2 years ago. I hope things have improved for you pirate?
7 months?!?! Most people would give up by then!

Actually things have moved forward, I got a phone call around this time yesterday evening from my local officer. I am being visited on the 16th March (I chose the date). Hopefully as I'm sharing a gun safe with my stepfather who had his checked recently it will speed up that part of the process. Fingers crossed!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

My application in Surrey took seven weeks from posting form to receiving certificate. The civilian FLO who came to see me was very positive and helpful, as I had called him beforehand to discuss the position of my cabinet. It's odd how attitudes seem to vary round the country: Surrey's attitude appears to be it is your entitlement to apply for a certificate, they simply administer the legal process. I certainly didn't feel that they thought I was wrong to be applying for a certificate.

My experience with Surrey is the service is first class although haven't they recently joined with another county ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

well, finally after 7 and a half months and loads of phone calls, Phils new licence came through today.  As mine runs out in November I am putting my renewal in on Monday and hope faithfully that I get it back before we go off abroad shooting towards the end of the year.   Fingers crossed!!!

Met police for my son's first SGC took 9 weeks. Worth chasing up for the home visit as it goes from their main center to local staff who will then arrange, until that is done not a lot happens. All in all not the fastest service but not the worst.

OT -

I am probably moving to France, Burgundy area, is the licence application the same all over France.

Could I also ask you to recommend any local forums.

Thanks
Hi

I often visit Burgundy and have not seen that many shooting grounds. I would be interested in which area are you looking and where have you found any shooting grounds?

Latest posts

Back