Are your eyes looking where you think they are?

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EdLyons

Hello everyone! It’s been a while since I’ve logged in and now have some new things to show you all.

We’ve invested in some pretty cool technology, one of which is the Eye Tracker shown in the video below which allows me to assess how accurately a shooter is able to track a target.

When the sight picture looks right and the clay doesn’t break, maybe this is why!

Please hit the subscribe button to keep abreast of new developments as to how you can see better and shoot better!

If you were in the Netherlands I would come pay you a visit tomorrow.

RH shooter, left eye dominant. Right eye -6,5. Left eye - 4,5. Prisma 14 and a lot of astigmatism.

Enough stuff to fix 😅

RH shooter, left eye dominant. Right eye -6,5. Left eye - 4,5. Prisma 14 and a lot of astigmatism.

Enough stuff to fix 😅
Are your shooting one eye or both eyes open? And is the prism horizontal  or vertical?

I close my left eye just before I take the shot. I don’t know if it is horizontal or vertical. Perhaps you can tell by the specs of my contact lenses?

7F70A713-CC2D-4B5A-9F38-28FDB839E48A.jpeg

Enough stuff to fix 😅
Are your shooting one eye or both eyes open? And is the prism horizontal  or vertical?

Thanks Joost, so currently, it isn’t possible to correct Prism in soft contact lenses so the value won’t be on them.

The Comfilcon A material is most likely to be a lens called Biofinity Toric.

It’s good, but I usually recommend daily disposable lenses for shooting as reusable options like the Biofinity can get dirty throughout the month so the vision on day 31 is not as good as day 1.

🤓

Thnx Ed,

Perhaps it is possible that I come over once in the summer when covid numbers are low again. That is, if it is possible to test and correct problems in one or two days.

I will see if it is possible to get toric soft contact lenses that are meant for one day use. It makes sense that that would be better.

I shoot mainly skeet. I think that it would help if I could shoot with two eyes open at the doubles. I assume I would be able to pick up the second target when it is coming from the left in my periferal vision quicker. 

What part of clay shooting will improve if the prism is corrected?

You’re welcome - you have loads of DD options, acuvue moist for astigmatism, acuvue oasys for astigmatism, Clariti daily toric, Focus daily toric etc

The prism would help with shooting both eyes open, if the prism really is 14 diopters, shooting both eyes open without it is unlikely to be successful.

Having said that, there are lots of excellent one eye shooters out there!

I am afraid that it really is 14. The optician said that in his whole carrier he had only seen one person with a prism like this.

Of course after seeing your Youtube films and reading your posts I have experimented a little bit over the weekend.

As I usually shoot skeet I am used to targets being fairly close. With the fairly close targets I have no problems looking with two eyes, then shutting my left eye right before I take the shot. I noticed that if I shoot further away targets and do the same that I can't make the right line. I feel very lost then. If I close my left eye already before I call for the target I make the right line, but the vision through only that right eye is significally less good.

I tried trap as well. If I call for the target with both eyes open I visually pick up the target faster. But when I close my left eye just before I want to take the shot I find out that I am not on the right line. If I call for the target with my left eye closed I seem to see the target somewhat later, but I am right away following the right line.

So lots of room for improvement I'd say.

Some funny things I have learned about my eyes through the years:

Shooting 10mtr ISSF air rifle my right eye seems to forget to refresh the picture. That is with open sights (diopter) So I am thinking that I am going to shoot a perfect 10, because that is the picture my right eye gives me, it may actually be a 6. That is shooting with both eyes open, with a translucent blinder in front of my left eye. Solution was to mount an eye2rail that puts the sights in front of my left eye. My average score went from a 7 to a 9 in just one week.

Shooting hunterfield target and fieldtarget I have no problems aiming with my right eye. Left eye is open. Just when I try to shoot at a visual with concentric rings my right eye forgets to refresh the picture again to my brain.

Latest posts

Back