What lubriacant for actions?

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GeordieTrapper

I have just purchased an old Miroku and when the stock was removed the action looks dry

Everything works perfectly but I want to lubricate the levers, springs etc albeit sparingly

What would members use, I have Pro Ferrum, Clenzoil and Ballistol, any suggestions on these or other products welcome?

If you’re a gunsmith you would pull it all apart and do a real clean up and grease various elements individually as needed. Personally for a decent effect, I spray Napier cleaner and lubricant over it all. Wipe it off and get the muck out best you can with paper and a q tip. Then smear a little oil over everything. After 1000 shots have another look and repeat. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Agree with Will.

You are lubrictaing to avoid wear - some parts, such as the sears etc, are not meant to work 'smoothly' so avoid lubrication.

Thanks for advice so far, I am really wanting to clean the action which seems a little ‘dirty’ and lubricate the moving parts as it left the factory. I don’t have the skill to strip it down or an ultrasonic cleaner but feel I should do something as I have just bought the gun

Pro Ferrum was recommended to me by my gunsmith, it is probably the best one I have used, and in the past 40+ years I have tried a few.

Dirty action is a source of joy!

If you’re reasonably dexterous, see how far you dare stripping it down. Plenty of videos on YouTube regarding strip-downs of many makes and models, and more importantly, some on re-assembly as well. You’ll likely need a decent set of small punches, a small hammer and I’d recommend a good selection of screwdrivers or a multi-one with the proper bits. When screwing (pun intended) don’t go for “this nearly fits”, always ensure a complete fit 😄

Once you have things out and off to where-ever you’re comfortable, clean and lube as per the advice above. You could off course bring the gun to a smith for servicing, but if you’re willing to do that anyway, why not try it for yourself and go see the smith if you run into trouble. As long as you keep track of what you’re doing and don’t lose any parts you’ll be fine.  

Here’s a little tip for cleaning it Geordie , get a can of Spray Duster from screwfix . You can use it for blowing crud out of cracks and corners in the action after you’ve loosened any muck with the cleaners and solvents the guys have suggested . 

Around here the auto parts stores have an aerosol disc brake cleaner that kills.  I just remove the stock and blast out the action with the stuff.  If the gun was particularly crusty I'd soak it in kerosene for a few hrs first then blast it out.  The spray is extremely volatile and dries with no residue of its own.  Then I absolutely drench the action with spray gun lube, set it in a position so it can "drain" overnight.  Wipe it down the next day an put the stock back on.  Few metal machines, including guns, function their best devoid of lube.  I seal all of my stocks and hose the actions regularly.  I have a couple 40+ year old guns with bazillions of rounds thru them that are still nearly new and will likely not need a rebuild in my lifetime.

That  is the way of my people - - - don't bother attempting to dispute it since I don't actually care how you treat your gun.

have a nice day

Charlie

BTW the cleaner spray will eat finishes including the varnish that is used to coat case color actions

Just purchased some Bisley Silicone oil. has anybody tried it ?

Old time Gunsmiths used a 'paste' made from Vaseline and a light oil mixed. This was then 'painted' on the parts as the gun was being reassembled. I used it for years on my S x S guns and on the last occasion that my Westley Richards went back to the makers for a minor repair and overhaul, it came back with the action internally coated with a similar concoction. I have used this on my O/U guns to good effect for some 55 years.  I apply it with a kids paint brush.

Old time Gunsmiths used a 'paste' made from Vaseline and a light oil mixed. This was then 'painted' on the parts as the gun was being reassembled. I used it for years on my S x S guns and on the last occasion that my Westley Richards went back to the makers for a minor repair and overhaul, it came back with the action internally coated with a similar concoction. I have used this on my O/U guns to good effect for some 55 years.  I apply it with a kids paint brush.
Did you use it on your musket in the war ?

Nah, Vaseline was in short supply. It was used to stop a pain in the posterior.............................there is some in the post, on it's way to you  !       😜

Latest posts

Back