686E ?

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fred Flintstone

Anyone have any experience / views on a Beretta 686E?

I have my eye on a very good condition example, think it’s dated around 2006 or so. Cased etc.

3” chambers, 30” barrels with opti Mobil chokes (I was told wrong!). 

Last edited by a moderator:
Anyone have any experience / views on a Beretta 686E?

I have my eye on a very good condition example, think it’s dated around 2006 or so. Cased etc.

3” chambers, 30” barrels with opti chokes. 
A classic model, some would say made in Berettas best quality era. Should work reliably for as long as you can hope and hold it’s value. In terms of handling it’s fairly quick (if I recall correctly). As with any gun, it’s just some wood and metal with a bit of clockwork in the middle to make it go bang. It’s ALL about whether you like how it fits, handles and perhaps how it looks if you care. 

Yes - A 686E is my regular gun though I have added 682 wood and an adjustible trigger to mine.

If its a 2006 I expect it has mobil chokes and maybe 18.4 bore. Neither matter at all. Barrels are chrome lined so should show no signs of pitting - avoid it if they do.

They are good, well put together Berettas and I have not had a moment's trouble from mine in 7 years & around 50,000 cartridges. It is lighter than the 682 Gold I also have but not by much and my 30 inch balances well on the hinges with 50g of weight in the stock (to taste of course).

Usual benefit of the 686 design in terms of servicing etc. I would only avoid one with serious use and I'm not a fan of the varnishes stocks on some.

Will is spot on - they seem to hold their value well.

Happy to answer any specific questions should you have them.

Thanks both... I’ve ‘seen’ it in the shop, but going back to have a good look, feel, and see if it fits etc.

Watch this space!!!

The one with Optima bores is the re-issue version. The original was a junior version of the Gold E but with Mobil bores. Like the Gold E and DT10 from that era it was built in the custom shop by gunsmiths rather than on the production line by operatives. I bought mine new in 2006 as it was the closest current model Beretta to the classic 682.

It was out of production for a few years then came back about the same time as the 692 as the the 686E EVO with Optima bores, extended chokes and up to 32" barrels.

Have a look on the underside of the barrels, as there should be a two-letter code stamped into the metal.

You can look up the date of production in this handy chart, which is standard for all italian firearms, or so i've been told:

image.png 

So... I bought it!

I did look at a new ATA while I was there (didn’t realise how light they are), but soon put it back when I picked this up.

It’s a very nice gun, fitted fairly well straight off the bat but a quick change to the LOP made it even better. Very good condition with only some superficial scratch marks around the monoblock from barrel removal/fitting. Nice tight action and recently serviced. No marks to the woodwork at all, and I have a nice bottle of walnut oil for it, for a treat tonight (no varnish)! I got good service and a good deal along with some other odds and sods, and so really happy.

@Luke_(NL) It is a 2005 gun (how long was I looking for that damn date code??!?) Thanks for that info.

@Freddypip It does indeed have Mobil chokes and is 18.4 bore! No signs of pitting in the barrels... very clean looking.

So thanks all for your insights

Wilma Flintstone said ‘oh, I could wrap that up for you for Christmas’ when I got home with it...  no bloody chance! I’m off to Greenfields tomorrow to give it a workout!

😀

Congrats and enjoy it mate. And... pictures or it didn't happen. I have to say, as long as mrs Flintstone is entertaining the thought of gifting you guns, fan those flames 😁💕

My paperwork for the thirty year old italian is done Thursday, but I doubt she'll stay in wrappers for Christmas.

If you are going shooting tomorrow, maybe reconsider oiling it tonight. Drying the top coat very thoroughly and evenly makes for the best results, and if it isn't completely dry you likely have to do it again after shooting.

Congrats and enjoy it mate. And... pictures or it didn't happen. I have to say, as long as mrs Flintstone is entertaining the thought of gifting you guns, fan those flames 😁💕

My paperwork for the thirty year old italian is done Thursday, but I doubt she'll stay in wrappers for Christmas.

If you are going shooting tomorrow, maybe reconsider oiling it tonight. Drying the top coat very thoroughly and evenly makes for the best results, and if it isn't completely dry you likely have to do it again after shooting.
... which is just another excuse to give it some more TLC tomorrow evening!!!

Seriously though, I only gave it a very light rub over today. By the time I had rubbed it well in (good bit of friction), it was pretty much gone after 2 hours. Wood definitely hungry for it.

CD78B979-D10E-4826-B240-78B83F3E2951.jpeg

BB8815F6-326C-4B58-BA7A-B407F51CB7AD.jpeg

Should of added,

• The (Sporting) Beretta Microcore pads work well so if you need to change the LOP etc. They are also a little better 'kick' wise.
  • Its easy to add a little barrel weight with external chokes and the mobil chokes are now old enough for them to be available at little cost.
Hope it goes well tomorrow.

P.S. Its not a gun to be prissy with. They are made to be used. They are made to break clays !!!

Should of added,

• The (Sporting) Beretta Microcore pads work well so if you need to change the LOP etc. They are also a little better 'kick' wise.
  • Its easy to add a little barrel weight with external chokes and the mobil chokes are now old enough for them to be available at little cost.
Hope it goes well tomorrow.

P.S. Its not a gun to be prissy with. They are made to be used. They are made to break clays !!!
Thanks... If anything, it needs an ever so slight amount of weight added in the stock to balance at the pin. 

As for ‘made to break clays’, they might be, but judging by my performance so far, I wasn’t ! 😂

Well... it sure is sweet! Put 150 through it this morning, it didn’t miss a beat. The gun was on it every time.

Sadly, I wasn’t! 

But great fun.

Latest posts

Back