I haven't shot trap/clays since 1974...

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

12gaugeGreg

Hello all,

I'm returning to shooting shotguns again, I haven't done this since 1974 and haven't hunted birds since 1977. I spent three summers in South West Alaska as a sport fishing guide in the Bristol Bay area ('84, '87, '88) and carried a short barrel 12 GA (Mossberg 500 that I had shortened by a gunsmith) as my carry gun but never had to use it. Took it off safety several times but it was never fired.

Long story short, I rediscovered the shotgun while cleaning out a closet in March.  I dismantled it and cleaned it (boy was it sticky after sitting since 1988] and purchased an aftermarket 28 inch barrel with replaceable chokes. I started shooting trap at the local gun club and I'm averaging about 62%. It's intimidating, however,  shooting next to people with O/U silver pigeons and Browings. So I purchased the best O/U I could with by budget, a CZ Redhead Premier. We will see if this helps my average.

The one issue I'm still dealing with is that I'm right handed and left eye dominate. So I'm learning to shoot with both eyes open and this is a challenge. I've watched several video on the subject and this has helped. If anyone has any advice please send it my way.

Anyway... I hope to learn from all of you and thanks again.

Greg Voight

Latest posts

Back