Wylye Valley - Sunday 11th March - ESP Reg'd

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JonSkeet2

Matt and I ventured down to Wylye Valley this morning to meet up with Tonky, Andy S and Hazel S.

When we arrived the car park was very very busy, certainly the busiest I have ever seen it, the day was really nice and sunny with a gentle breeze.

We all met up then headed into the clubhouse to book on, chat and get breakfast which was first class as normal as was the friendly welcome.

Once fed and watered we headed back to the cars to get kitted up and headed out onto the course, it was quite busy in places with some queueing.

The targets were Wylye standard as normal, some that looked easy but were deceptive.

Two that stand out were a stand with a pair of simmo teals which were really motoring and quite hard to get on. The second stand was a report pair the first a fast quartering battue followed a rocketing L-R which was fast disappearing. I watched Matt shoot it and kill 9ex10 then I got on there and somehow had a bit of a eureka moment and hit 10ex10 which was my first ever registered straight stand :)

Overall a great shoot with great company topped off by the sunshine :)

Good to meet Tonky for the first time and to see Andy and Hazel again too, bumped into Robo on the way round.

Scores on the doors for today:

Matt: 72

Jon: 49

Andy S: 48

Tonky: 22

Cheers,

Jon.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yep... good to see some of the shootclay crew (Matt Jon Andy tonky and Hazel) out in the loverly sun shine ,I didnt notice Hazel's camera ?

Came in with a 61, lost the plot on the way back in :cry:

Last edited by a moderator:
Yep - very happy with 72 - was second in c-class when I left. Still grumpy with dropping the last shot of the day when I was 4 pairs straight on stand 11 - fast l/r crosser at the top of the bank, followed by a gentle r/l crosser above your head... was on them like clockwork and still cannot work out how I missed the second bird... maybe karma wants me to stay on 72 for a while.

Particularly liked the simo teal, and loved the rabbit under your feet off the bank with the fast overhead g/a bird to follow - I took 7ex10 - should have been straight but I missed a rabbit which really distracted me.

Great day out - fingers crossed a few more pennies into the Perazzi pot.

Wait, what, eh? Beretta to be sidelined? What is the timeframe for the P then? Or not serious?

CSC3

You were second in C Matt. Martin Myers won it with 95! Good to see you all again. Full results on the website tomorrow - I'm knackered!

Wait, what, eh? Beretta to be sidelined? What is the timeframe for the P then? Or not serious?
Serious - but I imagine longish timeline (need a new kitchen first) - I did promise that everything I won in C would go into an account for my Perazzi.

No - not the sole funding source... but it was a suggestion from my son, he said that I should keep any winnings and put it in the bank for a new gun... not a bad idea...

I may as well give up now, hell will freeze over before I win enough to even buy a staple gun :lol: :.:

Well done Matt,

Good to meet with Tonky

Poor result today for me from a course which should have been at least a 60 today, I suspected for a while that shooting as a squad does me in, it took 2 1/2 hours for 4 of us to get around today and I seem to find I can't get any enthusiasm for enjoying the course, even on a nice sunny day when it takes this long.

Andy

Well done Matt,

Good to meet with Tonky

Poor result today for me from a course which should have been at least a 60 today, I suspected for a while that shooting as a squad does me in, it took 2 1/2 hours for 4 of us to get around today and I seem to find I can't get any enthusiasm for enjoying the course, even on a nice sunny day when it takes this long.

Andy
I have to agree to an extent, the waiting around and queueing wasn't good at times. The squad of 5 newbies with the SxS were particularly annoying.. a registered shoot is not the place to go and have a go.

I think we must have waited 40-45 mins to shoot the last stand, I had really lost the will to live 3 stands before and my scores show that, I took a litre of fluid out with me and it wasn't enough, I could have quite happily have gone to sleep waiting for the last stand, really didn't feel well. I drank a litre of water and a can of Coke on the way back and didn't really start to feel semi normal until we came off the M3 for Ascot.

I learnt lessons which is what it's all about, not unhappy with 49; should have been mid 60's.

Andy; unfortunately squadding is a fact of life with sporting and most other disciplines. Try turning your ear defenders off, ignore what's going on and concentrate on your own shooting. Practice is one thing Competition is another, in my limited experience the mental side is very important, I pay very little attention to what's going on. Wake up just before I get on the stand, pick out my points, have plan A, plan B etc. worked out.

Yes; I screwed up on the stand I straighted, hold points wrong and would have looked looked messy and technically wrong but the last pair was much more comfortable than the first but despite it being messy I minced them all. I still have my ESP L plates on ;)

Cheers,

Jon.

Back