Why trap? (Not taking the p*ss here)

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
well I'm not gonna get into the argument on which is best but i shoot sporting 'for fun relaxed days' for practice .. i am a game and wildfowl shooter (wildfowl is where the heart is) and find sporting great practice .. though i do find that with the slower targets i over correct myself .. hence why i like trap too .. i find it more 'instinctive' and this is when is seem to shoot my best and keeps me on my toes (as such) .. so for me its sporting for chilled relaxed days (and police shoots) and trap for comps

Last edited by a moderator:
I'll stand to your right David, don't mind empties flying in front of me. I could even shoot them as crossers to break the monotony :D

If I wanted to shoot ot would it be acceptable to put a strip of gaffer tape over my barrel ports to comply with the rules?
The main disadvantage to using such a gun is that it has only one tube, so only one choke for first and second shot alike. Most people prefer a more open choke for the first shot and a tighter one for the second. So in theory such a gun is not well suited to O/T at all. I've seen guys walk off a trap squad if someone appears with an auto.

An old topic but thought i would give another answer to it. My Father (RIP) used to shoot DTL for a few reasons 1) He could not walk far or stand for very long 2) Had trouble lifting a gun up high (IE overhead shots) 3) was long sighted, and sometimes used to hit them just before they landed for fun (just because he could) 4) Most trap ranges are close to a clubhouse! (liked his tea). 5) He was quite good at it. Possibly his best discipline. Even Skeet used to wear him out physically due to all the amount of walking around and the movement involved. We all get old, so he adjusted his shooting to suit his health and DTL suited that requirement. This i may add was in the end 12 years ago. As for me, its another discipline to shoot! ps There is no such thing as an 'easy' target as they are normally the ones missed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! IMHO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

When I first started shooting, several decades ago, I tried out DTL, Sporting and Skeet. I eventually settled on DTL because I prefered it, mainly because I was better at DTL than Skeet or Sporting, but also because at Sporting and Skeet you know where the birds are coming from and going to. In DTL and the other trap disciplines, you know where the birds are coming from and that they will be going away, but you don't know at which angle they will be going away, and in some cases, such as O/T which I now shoot, even the height and speed will vary too. In my mind it is more unpredictable and as such it is less boring and is a hell of a challenge!

DTL? That's Fridays. Drinking Tons of Lager. :))))
No it's Dribbling Trouser Leg, thats why they all wear bags on their ankles,and thats why they don't go into the toilet to cheat as they can empty their bag by emptying it into the cartridge bin.

dlt.png

Most people shoot sporting because they can not concentrate enough for a 100 bird trap comp

I shot a 100 straight in my first ever registered comp, how many sporting people have ever done that ?

Most people shoot sporting because they can not concentrate enough for a 100 bird trap comp

I shot a 100 straight in my first ever registered comp, how many sporting people have ever done that ?
Yeah.. THAT is why 80% of competition shooters shoot sporting. We all tried trap, but found that we were just not up to the job. PMSL.

And definitely the reason why sporting shooters don't hit 100 is because we are just not made of the right stuff. (It is nothing to do with the enormous skill set and experience of almost limitless target possibilities that Sporting requires).

Yeah.. THAT is why 80% of competition shooters shoot sporting. We all tried trap, but found that we were just not up to the job. PMSL.

And definitely the reason why sporting shooters don't hit 100 is because we are just not made of the right stuff. (It is nothing to do with the enormous skill set and experience of almost limitless target possibilities that Sporting requires).
How perceptive Will...... allow me to add that also trap shooters are not numpties.......!!!

Laughs out loud!!!

I feel that Trap, well at least the fast disciplines, require more instinct and faster reactions than just about anything else you can shoot. It is almost a reflex game to be honest, that is why a lot people try O/T and walk away from it after a round or two. If you like to measure out lead and chose the exact spot where you will kill each bird, well O/T will not be the game for you, there is simply no time for that and no way of knowing where that bird will go.........you only know that it will be going away and that is all! :wink:

How perceptive Will...... allow me to add that also trap shooters are not numpties.......!!!

Laughs out loud!!!
I was never even going close to suggesting that trap shooters were numpties. I admire the qualities it takes to deliver those metronomic performances. In this thread I was never trying to denigrate Trap shooting (hence my slightly terse reaction to Uncle Buck suggesting Sporters are failures..). It was all about `what makes one choose a limited variety discipline over a limitless variety discipline`.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was never even going close to suggesting that trap shooters were numpties. I admire the qualities it takes to deliver those metronomic performances. In this thread I was never trying to denegrate Trap shooting (hence my slightly terse reaction to Uncle Buck suggesting Sporters are failures..). It was all about `what makes one choose a limited variety discipline over a limitless variety discipline`.
ROTFPSL ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Uncle Buck,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,and his sig is Deershooter.....................made my day.

I didnt realise there was any other form of competitive shooting, i thought sporting and the like was just practice for game shooting out of season.

Ha ;-)

I gave a response very early on this subject but there is something that strikes me and why trap is different. At sporting, which I still enjoy sometimes, requires me to concentrate for a short period whilst on the stand and just prior to going on the stand. Now when shooting trap, you are having to concentrate for longer periods and at the same time being fully aware how well your fellow line shooters are doing. To keep this level of concentration up is to ME more difficult than required at sporting.

Please let me say that I have taken sporting very seriously in years gone by and do not in any way take anything away from good shots in any form of shooting.

Phil

A very successful OT shooter and coach once told me that its almost impossible to keep your full concentration for a full round of Trap (20-30 mins?). To a certain degree, like sporting, although 'in the zone' you need to be able to switch the concentration levels on and off in short bursts throughout the round.

I fully agree with that, thats why DTL is so difficult because unlike propper trap you are rooted to the spot and dont get to have a walk between shots.

I fully agree with that, thats why DTL is so difficult because unlike propper trap you are rooted to the spot and dont get to have a walk between shots.
Yep! And a lot of DTL shooters have a particular peg that they don't like too much. I've seen it a thousand times, they are on their boggey peg waiting for their boggey bird and bingo.......they miss it with both tubes! DTL is a total nightmare of a mind game as far as I'm concerned, OT is easier in as much as all pegs are the same if you know what I mean. When I used to shoot DTL my boggey peg was peg 5 and the boggey was a right hand bird, I knew a great many people that had the same problem. Overcoming it can be very difficult too.

Yep! And a lot of DTL shooters have a particular peg that they don't like too much. I've seen it a thousand times, they are on their boggey peg waiting for their boggey bird and bingo.......they miss it with both tubes! DTL is a total nightmare of a mind game as far as I'm concerned, OT is easier in as much as all pegs are the same if you know what I mean. When I used to shoot DTL my boggey peg was peg 5 and the boggey was a right hand bird, I knew a great many people that had the same problem. Overcoming it can be very difficult too.
Oh yes, my wife loves peg 5

Phil

A very knowledgeable old timer once told me that in reality peg 3 is the most troublesome peg statistically as you had right and left handers to contend with and that worrying about 1 or 5 was all in the head. I seem to be able to miss the most easy dtl targets from any peg and i put it down to lack of concentration and or boredom. Ha

boring yes easy definately not. If anyone ever comments on dtl being easy my reply is how many 300s have you done ?

Back