Vario

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Fired about 175 cartridges today whilst wearing my new Novo plugs, and:

1) They are comfortable. No movement in the ears, at all.

2) They do suppress the sound of shots adequately, but not as well as my cans, which is of no surprise.

3) I can hear the traps working.

4) I can hold conversations, without trying to lipread.😀

5) If I wear my cans as well, there is no electronic feedback, which is a big problem when wearing hearing aids.

All in all, happy enough with my purchase.

Steve.

Just thought I would post up a quick update re my reprogramming request with my varios. 
I had my audio gram done and, surprisingly, I’m not as deaf as I thought I was !

ive sent it off to Vario along with my units and they are going to :

a. tweak the social setting to try and amplify voice a bit more

b. Swap the game setting for game keeper. 

they chap I have been chatting to (Jordan) has asked I return the moulds to them as well as the units so they can check that they allowing sound to pass correctly. 

will let you know how I get on. 

Update to the above,

I now have my C.F.G. ear defenders back and they are absolutely superb. I wore them for some 7 hours yesterday without any discomfort and the level of volume now being higher, I can hold a conversation without any problems. In fact the level of volume is now equal to my day to day hearing aids and probably the best of any digital or electronic 'cans' that I have ever used. The only slight downside was the longish wait for both the initial manufacture and the upgraded speakers being fitted, but I was kept informed and updated on their progress. All in all an excellent product at a fair price.

Update to the above,

I now have my C.F.G. ear defenders back and they are absolutely superb. I wore them for some 7 hours yesterday without any discomfort and the level of volume now being higher, I can hold a conversation without any problems. In fact the level of volume is now equal to my day to day hearing aids and probably the best of any digital or electronic 'cans' that I have ever used. The only slight downside was the longish wait for both the initial manufacture and the upgraded speakers being fitted, but I was kept informed and updated on their progress. All in all an excellent product at a fair price.

Are you still happy with these, westley?

Steve.

An update on my Vario Novo's is in order.

I sent them back,and asked for a refund, which was done without any problem. Full marks to Vario for that.

The issue that caused me to return them is strange, though. 

After wearing them for about four hours, over consecutive days, I noticed some white, powder-like substance on both units. My immediate thought was salt deposit from evaporated sweat, but highly unlikely. The weather had not been particularly warm, never mind hot, the part affected is outside the ear, open to air, and my shooting hat does not cover my ears. The batteries were new, from the pack supplied.

When I arrived home, and opened the battery compartments, the substance could be seen right inside the unit. I then thought battery fail, but two, at exactly the same time?

The decision to return them was made.

A shame as I was getting on OK with them. 

VARIO NOVO 4 240821.jpg

VARIO NOVO 3 240821.jpg

Went to Ian Coley open day, Vario were there and was surprised to be told that they no longer do passive ear plugs, electronic only now.

When I arrived home, and opened the battery compartments, the substance could be seen right inside the unit. I then thought battery fail, but two, at exactly the same time?

The decision to return them was made.
This is something that can happen with zinc-air batteries.
I’ve seen this with multiple brands, incl. my own set from Siemens.

Always open up the battery compartment when storing them, this to prevent damage to the ear plugs.
Ever since I open up the battery compartment before storing them, it never occurred again.

This is something that can happen with zinc-air batteries.
I’ve seen this with multiple brands, incl. my own set from Siemens.

Always open up the battery compartment when storing them, this to prevent damage to the ear plugs.
Ever since I open up the battery compartment before storing them, it never occurred again.

The battery compartments were opened every time the plugs were not in use.

Steve.

It seems to be dried electrolyte from the batteries, so I expect it was battery failure.
Did you get any reply from Vario, or didn’t you report this issue?

It seems to be dried electrolyte from the batteries, so I expect it was battery failure.
Did you get any reply from Vario, or didn’t you report this issue?

As I stated in the update, they were returned, and a full refund given, without a problem.

Vario said that they were unsure what had happened, but had sent the batteries somewhere to be checked for failure. I have not heard anymore from them.

I would agree that it does look like battery fail. It seems strange if that is the case, as it was both batteries, at the same time. They were the third pair of batteries, from a pack that came supplied with the plugs. No issue with the first two pairs. I changed batteries after 10/12 days, each time, before they dropped voltage below working level. 

Steve.

Reactions: JDL
Back