Sporting Shoots; where- and how was it? (2018)

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Shot Grange Farm in that 'Wind'

The guy who set it up tore his own card up after 4 stands.

NUF SED.

On an ordinary windless day it would have been a challenge.  But with that wind it was silly.  Course setter could have taken that into account.  It was won on 95, but first thing there was no wind.  Regular AA class were down in low 80's High 70's as the day went on.

Hey Ho..

Shot Grange Farm in that 'Wind'

The guy who set it up tore his own card up after 4 stands.

NUF SED.

On an ordinary windless day it would have been a challenge.  But with that wind it was silly.  Course setter could have taken that into account.  It was won on 95, but first thing there was no wind.  Regular AA class were down in low 80's High 70's as the day went on.

Hey Ho..
The course setter didn’t tare his card up I only had a few minutes free to shoot a few stands. 

There was very little wind in the morning when the competition started with it building as the day went on, I always take the weather conditions into account when setting the targets but there’s little I can do once the competition has started. 

Would you be happy if I changed the targets halfway through a shoot ? I’ll guess not 

The course setter didn’t tare his card up I only had a few minutes free to shoot a few stands. 

There was very little wind in the morning when the competition started with it building as the day went on, I always take the weather conditions into account when setting the targets but there’s little I can do once the competition has started. 

Would you be happy if I changed the targets halfway through a shoot ? I’ll guess not 
Apologies

I thought you tore your own card up.  Sorry I misquoted you.

You need to get rid of that daft mini though. In a big wind....it just disappears and it shouldn't be an eyesight test.

I appreciate there is nothing you can do once the competition has started.  It is what it is.  I CHOSE TO SHOOT IN THE WIND.  I had already allowed for the fact that my score would be affected.  You win some...you lose some.  As I say I chose to shoot it.  Had there been no wind at all the targets would have been great.

You might want to take a look at METOFFICE the night before though.  😉

College Farm today. Such a good shoot. Superb targets, many quite long but fast and impressive in the wind. I think HG may come after today (it runs until Friday) as wind will drop. 

Very happy with 92 as I only had 1 daft miss. I lost two in the wind that I feel nobody would have hit. Otherwise just adapted well to the conditions. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Congrats W H.  the trophy is just that rather than thanks..

Last edited:
Court Farm this morning.  First Reg shoot for a few weeks as I've been avoiding the gales and rain.  Started on Stand 2 and had an absolute shocker.  Dropped 7 clays of the 8.  Hanging on to them.  Also think I was in front on a quartering looper.  Then missed the first pair on the next stand.  So that's 9 of the first 10 clays away.  Steadied myself and only dropped one more on that stand.  Next a sim pair that I would normally fluff, did OK, only 2 away and started to feel a bit better about things.  Managed to straight 5 of the remaining 9 stands and finished on 79.  After the first stand I was expecting to struggle to get back to my average, so happy with managing 6 over it.

I just finished at court Farm. 74. The sun and wind were both coming and going but it was ultimately a nice shoot (I’ve really missed it with the weather). 74 was C class HG at the time I finished so fingers crossed it’ll be my first ever. 

Four Counties today. Might be my last visit there..

I did start very badly on my first stand, (stand 8 maybe)?, hitting 4/10. They don’t vary targets much at 4C and this stand almost always has some close floppy clays, but today they were much further out which fooled me. Mashed last pair well with lots more lead. Very silly on my part.

Anyway, went moderately ok round the rest of the tricky course, the wind was bad in places, missing another 10. Was on for a not disastrous 84 if I straighted the last stand. 

I went back to my last stand 3 times hoping for a cloud because the sun was ridiculous. (Stand 9)? Well, of course the sun itself wasn’t ridiculous, but a course setter throwing both targets directly into it was! A big cloud passed over by the time I was almost due to shoot it at third attempt, but it was in direct full sun again while I queued. Fed up by this point, me and my mate decided to quit the shoot, leaving just this stand unshot. I handed our cards in and it got a bit heated in the office because they didn’t understand the CPSA rule that says if a competitor retires, their score is marked against targets shot. I.e 68 out of 84 or whatever, NOT out of 100. So that was uncomfortable, plus I did call it idiocy to set targets right into the sun, which went down rather badly..

The vote with ones feet is best remedy for this. Time and time again we get targets in the sun and stupid colours which are invisible. Anyone can have a bad day. But I personally avoid shoots which PERSIST in doing this.

As for the rules concerning the scores it's just a simple question of knowing the rules. Shoots which don't know the rules shouldn't be running registered shoots. 

Jasper.

The vote with ones feet is best remedy for this. Time and time again we get targets in the sun and stupid colours which are invisible. Anyone can have a bad day. But I personally avoid shoots which PERSIST in doing this.

As for the rules concerning the scores it's just a simple question of knowing the rules. Shoots which don't know the rules shouldn't be running registered shoots. 

Jasper.
Four Counties is a 1970s throwback in every respect. As part of a shooting a wide mixture of different grounds I do go there a few times per year, but it’s lacking in several respects. The stand I refused to shoot today, I have waited 30-40 minutes at previous shoots for a cloud  there. Could not be bothered this time. 

I just finished at court Farm. 74. The sun and wind were both coming and going but it was ultimately a nice shoot (I’ve really missed it with the weather). 74 was C class HG at the time I finished so fingers crossed it’ll be my first ever. 
74 won it - I’m quite chuffed. 

Picked up a gun for the first time 8/9 months ago, and my form (predictably) jumps around a bit so I feel this’ll be a good platform to kick on with some consistency and confidence! 

74 won it - I’m quite chuffed. 

Picked up a gun for the first time 8/9 months ago, and my form (predictably) jumps around a bit so I feel this’ll be a good platform to kick on with some consistency and confidence! 
Very well done, huge achievement, just got to keep it up now 👏

Southdown for us.  Started on Sportrap and was doing well 23 and 22 then lost the plot a bit 18 and 18 so an 81 to finish.    Quite blustery still there today.  Had a bit of toast and tea and went out onto the sporting.  Shot my first stand and started to feel queezy and after about 4 stands feeling ill I did actually have to throw up which was unpleasant and very akin to the exorcist.  I felt bad still but carried on as it was Inter Counties but really never got going.   A dismal 71.  A shame as I would have enjoyed the course set otherwise.  quite a few no-birds today though.

Four Counties today. Might be my last visit there..

I did start very badly on my first stand, (stand 8 maybe)?, hitting 4/10. They don’t vary targets much at 4C and this stand almost always has some close floppy clays, but today they were much further out which fooled me. Mashed last pair well with lots more lead. Very silly on my part.

Anyway, went moderately ok round the rest of the tricky course, the wind was bad in places, missing another 10. Was on for a not disastrous 84 if I straighted the last stand. 

I went back to my last stand 3 times hoping for a cloud because the sun was ridiculous. (Stand 9)? Well, of course the sun itself wasn’t ridiculous, but a course setter throwing both targets directly into it was! A big cloud passed over by the time I was almost due to shoot it at third attempt, but it was in direct full sun again while I queued. Fed up by this point, me and my mate decided to quit the shoot, leaving just this stand unshot. I handed our cards in and it got a bit heated in the office because they didn’t understand the CPSA rule that says if a competitor retires, their score is marked against targets shot. I.e 68 out of 84 or whatever, NOT out of 100. So that was uncomfortable, plus I did call it idiocy to set targets right into the sun, which went down rather badly..
I think it’s about time the paying customers started to complain about obviously shoddy course setting, it’s not common but it is frustrating when it happens and most definitely not fair to all who take part.

Southdown for us.  Started on Sportrap and was doing well 23 and 22 then lost the plot a bit 18 and 18 so an 81 to finish.    Quite blustery still there today.  Had a bit of toast and tea and went out onto the sporting.  Shot my first stand and started to feel queezy and after about 4 stands feeling ill I did actually have to throw up which was unpleasant and very akin to the exorcist.  I felt bad still but carried on as it was Inter Counties but really never got going.   A dismal 71.  A shame as I would have enjoyed the course set otherwise.  quite a few no-birds today though.
Phil had quite a few no-birds too.  As you say Sian, a good course, I felt the sim pairs were hard enough but with the wind affecting them so much I ended up rushing them. The wind was bitter and I got really 🥶 towards the end.  Didn’t help when we finished and got to the club house looking forward to a hot drink the food counter had CLOSED!  People were still going out onto the course at that time so I felt sorry for them.  Not shot much since Christmas to be honest and was disappointed with my 67 but looking at other scores it wasn’t that bad and was equal 4th in C. Lots of people there so it was good to catch up with people we’d not seen for a while and Pip got lots of strokes and treats so she was a happy bunny 🐶

Phil had quite a few no-birds too.  As you say Sian, a good course, I felt the sim pairs were hard enough but with the wind affecting them so much I ended up rushing them. The wind was bitter and I got really 🥶 towards the end.  Didn’t help when we finished and got to the club house looking forward to a hot drink the food counter had CLOSED!  People were still going out onto the course at that time so I felt sorry for them.  Not shot much since Christmas to be honest and was disappointed with my 67 but looking at other scores it wasn’t that bad and was equal 4th in C. Lots of people there so it was good to catch up with people we’d not seen for a while and Pip got lots of strokes and treats so she was a happy bunny 🐶
Yes what’s going on with the food, no cakes, no sausage rolls - hope it’s temporary.  Blooming cold fed up of wind.

Latest posts

Back