Sporting Shoots; where- and how was it? (2018)

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I enjoyed Westfield yesterday but made a mess of the two platform stands, ended on 80.

I shot it early (was entry number 1 thanks to the clocks going back!) and didn't find any stands affected by the sun but I will echo the comments about the rabbits.

Last edited by a moderator:
Which stand was that Chippy? I found it hard going all round at Cambridge yesterday, must try harder!!

But if you know that attending after midday you are going to have problems with the sun then surely on cloudless sunny days you go early or not at all ??
Sorry, but that is completely missing the point and it's not just a problem at Westfield. Both as a ref and when shooting I repeatedly hear the same complaint about several grounds and whilst it's difficult for the shooters it can also be very challenging to score targets when they're flying across the sun, especially after several hours of it.

I understand there's a lot consider when setting courses but south facing stands will always have the potential to be problematic on sunny days so in my opinion it should be up there along with safety, front and centre in the mind of the target setter.

“Front and centre in the mind of the target setter.”

Now I know you’re having a laugh!

There’s a lot of them that don’t even have the customer on their mind, let alone making it an enjoyable and safe day for them,

What do you suggest a ground should do if there is no alternative to setting targets which may be in the sun? Close in the winter perhaps?

What do you suggest a ground should do if there is no alternative to setting targets which may be in the sun? Close in the winter perhaps?
Throw above the low winter sun?  Don't think there is somewhere i haven't been that couldn't with a bit of thought avoid it.

Meadowcroft 21st for the sporting the last 2 stands facing South were impossible even with 10ED's ...could have just gone a bit further down the bottom field facing the other way?

I know its not always easy but sometimes it appears no thought has been given at all! I have heard it said the the sun wasn't there when we set the targets hardly an excuse as the sun has been doing the same thing for several million years!

Last edited by a moderator:
I get your point but as far as I'm concerned the comments in this thread are referencing grounds that do have an alternative. And it's not just a winter problem either.

If a ground truly doesn't have an alternative but to throw clays directly into the sun then it isn't suitable for English Sporting or similar disciplines, also as far as I'm aware the sun is present all year round. 

Yes, it was stand 6, I shot it as my first stand. The sun early on was to the left of the teal, but I imagine it must have got worse as the sun moved round.

If a ground truly doesn't have an alternative but to throw clays directly into the sun then it isn't suitable for English Sporting or similar disciplines, also as far as I'm aware the sun is present all year round. 
You make an interesting observation here and your comment is to the point. However, you may be aware that the sun does vary in height and position throughout the day and is more of a hindrance during winter months. So if you assume that the sun shines brightly perhaps on 50% of shoot days would you close the ground because a few throw their teddies out because they brought the wrong glasses?

This is always a very difficult one but there are definitely situations where it is known the sun will very much hinder seeing certain targets on certain grounds.  There are also grounds that have choice to change  things during lower winter sun months.  At the end of the day the person who really suffers is the ref because whilst we shooters may blind ourselves for a short period of time and get very frustrated, the poor ref actually has to look at the same things over and over again.  Even the darkest of glasses do not always compensate for certain situations.

You make an interesting observation here and your comment is to the point. However, you may be aware that the sun does vary in height and position throughout the day and is more of a hindrance during winter months. So if you assume that the sun shines brightly perhaps on 50% of shoot days would you close the ground because a few throw their teddies out because they brought the wrong glasses?
As has been mentioned by a few others even the very darkest tints can't quite allow you to look directly at the sun, the job for course setters isn't straight forward hence when I have previously answered questions on the subject I have admitted there are limits to what can be done. The point here though is that the setter should be aware of potential problems throughout the year, I have personally had registered scores very badly affected because it was obvious no care whatsoever was taken with regards to several stands. The minimum one expects on problem stands is that the targets height is taken into account, throwing a pair of Teal for instance is bordering on mental incapacity. 

It IS possible to minimise this problem and unless we mention it on social media the target setters may not even know about it. 

By the time I have sufficiently dark lenses to stop the sun being an issue, I can’t see the gun or the clay.. It’s totally a course setter problem. They know where the sun will be all times of day, all year round. End of discussion. 

Some grounds are laid out with no chance of course. The worst is AC sporting targets West London (thankfully not a competition ground) which faces south. I’ve driven there on a sunny winter day, looked at the sun, had a coffee and driven home. A1 shooting ground was all laid out facing north and was never a problem. Horne Gatton Bottom is the same. EJ Churchill had no choice when setting up the ground but to face mostly south west due to the M40 being nearby, but on the whole cope well now. (There was a time they didn’t..). Early morning can be a challenge there though.

Reactions: Zea
By the time I have sufficiently dark lenses to stop the sun being an issue, I can’t see the gun or the clay.. It’s totally a course setter problem. They know where the sun will be all times of day, all year round. End of discussion. 

Some grounds are laid out with no chance of course. The worst is AC sporting targets West London (thankfully not a competition ground) which faces south. I’ve driven there on a sunny winter day, looked at the sun, had a coffee and driven home. A1 shooting ground was all laid out facing north and was never a problem. Horne Gatton Bottom is the same. EJ Churchill had no choice when setting up the ground but to face mostly south west due to the M40 being nearby, but on the whole cope well now. (There was a time they didn’t..). Early morning can be a challenge there though.
AC is my local and it is a problem in the low winter sun particularly for skeet.  

Can't find any prices on AC's website at all, and that's usually a concern whenever you're paying for something!
It’s not a posh place  it fun and very friendly it’s somewhere around £7/£8 for 25 I think.  I can’t be sure as I have a special rate.

Back