Skeet 27” - too short?

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GeordieTrapper

I have the chance to buy a very good condition skeet gun with 27” barrels. Do members feel this is too short?

I have the chance to buy a very good condition skeet gun with 27” barrels. Do members feel this is too short?
Depends upon two things. Firstly, your size and build and secondly, whether you're shooting Olympic or domestic skeet with it.

Few skeet shooters shoot barrels shorter than 30" now. You see a few 28" barrelled guns, particularly on Olympic skeet layouts but not often. Domestic skeet should be shot with maintained lead and that's about control rather than speed. This negates the need for a short barrelled gun that's light in the hand. Most use 30" although many use 32". Some are even playing with the idea of 34" tubes.

Choose a barrel length that suits your build. If you're but a slip of a thing a heavy long barrelled gun will be hard work, especially over 100 targets. For most though a  27" barrel wouldn't be the ideal choice.

Last edited by a moderator:
Um, personally I see no particular correlation between body size or build re barrell length. I know folk who are shorter than average and prefer longer barrels and some the exact opposite. I shoot a 30" trap gun but use a 26" game gun......dont get hung up on barrel length its all about the balance imhoy

I shoot English skeet with 32" barells, but also with a 28".

Gun weight and gun speed are quite different, i`m small build, my scores are very similar no matter what gun i choose to use.

Preference to a point, but also dependent on what you want to achieve. I shoot Olympic skeet with 30” barrels, but I know a few shooters who shoot 26”. 
In OS it is important to be able to transition quickly enough in the pairs on each station, and shorter barrels can help you increase speed. Barrel length isn’t the deciding factor in shooting 25’s, but could be a consideration if you are dropping points on the station four doubles. 
I personally wouldn’t mind shorter barrels, and if I had known how much skeet I’d end up shooting would probably have bought 28”. I’m used to what I have though, and do like that my gun lends itself to other disciplines.

Back