Licence question?

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Santa2512

Do you have to carry your licence with you when shooting, or out with your gun's

I know for other licences - Car / motorcycle  there is no mandate in law that says you must

Re your Gun, It would make sense to have it with you, but then does that not increase the risk of loss / theft?

Mart

There is no legal requirement to carry it with you. The problem is though that if you get stopped by the Police and can't prove that you have a licence they will confiscate your gun.

You then have all the palaver of going to the Police station to retrieve it, plus it is not unheard of for guns to be damaged whilst in Police possession.

I always take mine just not worth the hassle as Hotshot says.

My ticket stays in my range bag I only take it out when buying carts, so if I were stopped I have it to hand no requirement just hassle free

Whilst not relevant to my SGC I do shoot  a variety of firearms and so carry photocopies of my FAC in each relevant bag/case so that they can see that I have one even though they might not accept the copy they have all the info to check with Devon & Cornwall Constabulary.  They are full copies to show all the guns, ammo purchases, gun purchases and front page.

Whilst not relevant to my SGC I do shoot a variety of firearms and so carry photocopies of my FAC in each relevant bag/case so that they can see that I have one even though they might not accept the copy they have all the info to check with Devon & Cornwall Constabulary. They are full copies to show all the guns, ammo purchases, gun purchases and front page.
I do just the same, photo copy it, in te computer age they should be able to check the data base on the spot. I've got my proper one soaked before when out shooting, so leave it at home now.

I never carry any with me. They only come out of the safe when leaving UK and then spend the rest of the time in the hotel safe until time to leave.

For UK why not have a copy in your phone or shooting bag as stated.

Mines always in my range bag.
Never know when purchases etc need making.

Sent from my mobile that's my excuse for typos and errors.

I leave mine at home but do have a copy in the glove box of the van. Mr Plod can do a pnc check easy enough over their radio if they need serial numbers of what I should have. I do take it when I'm going to a shooting ground with a shop or a gunshop, never know when a decent cartridge deal could be on ;)

Mainly do this for when I'm out chasing pigeons, really dont want to drop my cert in the middle of a rape field or even worse in the river while mooching for a duck :)

I have been stopped quite a few times on my way to shoots and when out lamping, I always carry a copy of shotgun and firearms in truck and plod seems quite satisfied with this. Only take originals when I plan to buy guns or lead

Whilst not relevant to my SGC I do shoot  a variety of firearms and so carry photocopies of my FAC in each relevant bag/case so that they can see that I have one even though they might not accept the copy they have all the info to check with Devon & Cornwall Constabulary.  They are full copies to show all the guns, ammo purchases, gun purchases and front page.
Me too..section 1 and SGC bag !!

As others, only carry original for cartridge purchase, I do however have a copy on phone and iPad, but do agree that MrPlods PC seems to have infinite information about us all ( or so we are led to believe, and fund via taxation ) so name address etc should enable MrPlod to check fairly quickly, about as quickly as they can check you road fund, insurance, mot but not as quick as they can imagine your mph ( sorry for the off on a tangent bit )

Do you have to carry your licence with you when shooting, or out with your gun's

I know for other licences - Car / motorcycle there is no mandate in law that says you must

Re your Gun, It would make sense to have it with you, but then does that not increase the risk of loss / theft?

Mart
Thought I'd just add my thoughts as I have recently left the force. As has been said, there is no requirement to carry your licence and to be honest I think it's probably best to keep it in the safe and have a photocopy on you. All the details will be on PNC anyway, if anything the best thing to do is keep some form of ID on you I.e your driving licence so you can prove you are, who you say you are.

Latest posts

Back