J&P Spring Kits - UK

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DaveJH

Does anyone know of a UK distributer for the J&P Spring Kits?

My 6 month old / c.2K cartridge ProSport started to occasionally light-strike on the bottom barrel. This become suddenly worse and on close inspection the lower pin is damaged. Although the gun is under warranty, there seems to be no UK stock for the lower pin. This fault appears to be a common issue on the 725 so I'd like to buy the J&P kit in the hope of it lasting longer. For now, a clean and polish of the pin, together with a change of cartridge brand, seems to be working.

IMG_1678.jpeg

Years ago I bought a spring kit from them, they just posted it to me, have they stopped doing that?

Have you tried sending them an e-mail? Many American businesses in the trade have a 'don't need the hassle' policy in view of ITAR regulations, but some are willing to actually consider the facts of the matter and ship non-regulated parts abroad when asked.

From what I understand, ITAR covers "combat shotguns" or any shotgun with a barrel less than 18" and their parts. A set of firing pins and springs for a Prosport should be fine , although getting a US supplier to ship internationally is another matter. It'll no doubt come down to proving that the parts aren't used in any other ITAR controlled firearm, or that a Prosport has no military use.
J&P temporarily stopped international shipments during the first covid lockdown (IIRC due to overseas shipments going missing), then decided to make it permanent.
Fortunately I had a colleague visiting the US, and J&P mailed them to him, and he put them in his suitcase. Possibly the only way we're likely to get hold of them now.

Last edited:
Have you tried sending them an e-mail? Many American businesses in the trade have a 'don't need the hassle' policy in view of ITAR regulations, but some are willing to actually consider the facts of the matter and ship non-regulated parts abroad when asked.
Yes I have, they were quick to respond but sadly as @Daz W says this seems to be a permanent policy for J&P. Fortunately my 'temporary fix' is holding out so I'll update the original post with details for others' benefit.

Does anyone know of a UK distributer for the J&P Spring Kits?

My 6 month old / c.2K cartridge ProSport started to occasionally light-strike on the bottom barrel. This become suddenly worse and on close inspection the lower pin is damaged. Although the gun is under warranty, there seems to be no UK stock for the lower pin. This fault appears to be a common issue on the 725 so I'd like to buy the J&P kit in the hope of it lasting longer. For now, a clean and polish of the pin, together with a change of cartridge brand, seems to be working.

View attachment 10787
Replying to myself as I couldn't figure out how to edit the post!

So far, the steps below are working for me. These have been posted in the past but repeating here for the benefit of others.
- Remove the firing pin and clean the pin bore (q-tip or pipe cleaner with some bore cleaner) to remove all residue.​
- Put the pin in a drill chuck and spin in some scotch-brite and bore cleaner to remove residue and to polish.​
- Rebuild, being careful of the orientation of the retaining pins.​
There are several videos on YouTube showing pin removal. Also for me:​
- Changing from Fiocchi to Hull cartridges. I don't know for certain is this has helped but around 600 later I've had no misfires.​
- Reducing my cleaning regime from after every shoot to once every fortnight (so maybe 600 cartridges), the theory here being that any oil residue around the breach face might get forced into the firing pin bores.​
- Swapping to grease rather than oil for lubrication for similar reasons.​

So far, the steps below are working for me. These have been posted in the past but repeating here for the benefit of others.
- Remove the firing pin and clean the pin bore (q-tip or pipe cleaner with some bore cleaner) to remove all residue.​
- Put the pin in a drill chuck and spin in some scotch-brite and bore cleaner to remove residue and to polish.​
- Changing from Fiocchi to Hull cartridges. I don't know for certain is this has helped but around 600 later I've had no misfires.​
- Reducing my cleaning regime from after every shoot to once every fortnight (so maybe 600 cartridges), the theory here being that any oil residue around the breach face might get forced into the firing pin bores.​
Store the gun muzzle down in the cabinet , also prevents any excess oil getting near the head of the stock .

Which part of the Country are you in ?
I take the pins out of ALL of my Browning, Miroku and Winchester guns every 6 months. The amount of hard carbon that collects on the bottom barrel pin AND it's housing is incredible. By cleaning these items (it takes around 20 minutes to do) I have never needed to change the pins or the springs. It is an easy job. I have a JP spring kit which is about 6 years old, but I have never had the need to fit it.

I used to use Fiocchi F3’s in my prosport but had to change to Lyalvale power blues or Gamebore White gold when I can afford them because of this bottom barrel issue.

Which part of the Country are you in ?
I take the pins out of ALL of my Browning, Miroku and Winchester guns every 6 months. The amount of hard carbon that collects on the bottom barrel pin AND it's housing is incredible. By cleaning these items (it takes around 20 minutes to do) I have never needed to change the pins or the springs. It is an easy job. I have a JP spring kit which is about 6 years old, but I have never had the need to fit it.
Hi @westley, I'm in the midlands (Derby). Yes there was a good amount of junk which was surprising given the age and use of the gun. It was the sudden change from very occasional FTF to once every 10 or so cartridges that led me to believe the pin damage might be responsible. I do get a VERY occasional failure of the trigger to reset for the top barrel (say 3 times in total) but this might be due to me (I gather the trigger isn't totally mechanical).

Hi @westley, I'm in the midlands (Derby). Yes there was a good amount of junk which was surprising given the age and use of the gun. It was the sudden change from very occasional FTF to once every 10 or so cartridges that led me to believe the pin damage might be responsible. I do get a VERY occasional failure of the trigger to reset for the top barrel (say 3 times in total) but this might be due to me (I gather the trigger isn't totally mechanical).
I presume you have taken the pins, or in particular, the bottom pin out for cleaning and found the 'junk' in there ?
Yes, the trigger has to be FULLY released between shots. I have lost count of the number of people that fail to release the trigger fully. I guy I know had his gun into a gunsmith on several occasions to have the 'problem' sorted. Of course the Gunsmith could never find the er...'fault' ? If I have been Reffing, I take the gun off the shooter and open it. If only 1 cartridge ejects it is a 'loss'. Finger freeze often occurs in Comps., due to tension. If the firing pin on your gun has not been cleaned regularly, I suppose that could to lead to the tip eroding. I don't know, as I have never allowed it to happen.

I used to use Fiocchi F3’s in my prosport but had to change to Lyalvale power blues or Gamebore White gold when I can afford them because of this bottom barrel issue.
I have used Fiocchi F Blacks, F Blues and TT1's, along with Gamebore, Cheddite, occasional Eley and Hull Superfarts, all without any misfire issues. Some cartridges used to go off before the gun was 'on target', but I stopped using those ! 😉

Latest posts

Back