Ignore the bead and then 'hard focus' on the clay

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's fairly obvious chaps. Calling for a target with a loaded gun and barrels pointing a few feet from your toes isn't such a good idea!

Last edited by a moderator:
It's fairly obvious chaps. Calling for a target with a loaded gun and barrels pointing a few feet from your toes isn't such a good idea!
Good god,I hope that's a joke? That's really not what 'shooting gun down' means...

Hey, do not laugh ! I once had a VERY experienced DTL shooter who was trying out an auto (sorry ips) he had borrowed. He duly loaded 2 cartridges and then placed the gun muzzle down on..........................HIS FOOT !

Before this goes too far I have just simulated the gun down stance [with a walking stick....] and the barrel was pointing a good few metres in front, sorry for the over exageration.

Just meant my stance was lower than usual.  I am very very aware of safety issues and no way would I risk myself let alone anyonelse. You should see the Army training for CQB, this is an old pic but servers the purpose, any Army relation tells me they train this way with safety off and finger off the trigger - mind boggles !

0.jpg

One bit of observation in the form of some advise that just might help..... The amount of muzzle awareness in the shot will ALWAYS BE EQUAL TO OR GREATER THAN THE AMOUNT OF MUZZLE AWARENESS IN THE SET UP! Especially if you are trying to not see the barrel.

said another way.... When you preload a shot you are telling the brain what you want it to do with the information. It needs to be a picture. The right brain understands only feelings and pictures. The more vivid the mental picture the better the out put from the brain.

Understand that when the brain sees what it wants to take the shot it takes 250 mls for the trigger to get pulled. If the target and gun are not going the same speed for at least 3/4 of a second then a miss will occurred but the shot looked right. Let's see looks right didn't break.

We find that not understanding what the sight picture looks like is the leading cause for shooters getting stuck at a scores of 75+-. Then the enevitae happens ...... They try harder to not see the gun. ...... You can't visualize not seeing something. We find that simply training yourself to always see the target BEHIND THE BARREL seems to click in the brain because the residual effect is a target pictureed behind the barrel and the barrel is then accepted in the picture and no longer dominates.

Lastly there is not enough emphasis given to slowing the target down by matching muzzle speed to target speed. My $.02. Gil Ash.

I know you will lemeno what u tink. Looking forward to it. Cheers

Understand that when the brain sees what it wants to take the shot it takes 250 mls for the trigger to get pulled. If the target and gun are not going the same speed for at least 3/4 of a second then a miss will occurred but the shot looked right. Let's see looks right didn't break.
Really agree with this. Methods such as flashing through a target (fast swing through) or spot shooting mean that the muzzle is in the right place for only a brief moment. Even if you are good enough to judge / time it, it is an extra difficulty that I personally cannot see the benefit of. Especially because the gun does fire that fraction of a second after you ask it to..

Going back to the original post, perhaps you should try this simple test. Take 1 nail, (any size) and 1 x  2lbs. hammer. Now try to hammer the nail into a piece of wood, whist watching the hammer !

Word of advice, keep trigger finger well away from the nail !

Gil thanks that backs up everything I've learned about the autonomic system shooting Match and as my clay shooting is developing, really enjoy your videos. My problem at the moment is that I don't yet have a sufficient library of reliable kill pictures to put into my premount routine but that will come over time.

Really agree with this. Methods such as flashing through a target (fast swing through) or spot shooting mean that the muzzle is in the right place for only a brief moment. Even if you are good enough to judge / time it, it is an extra difficulty that I personally cannot see the benefit of. Especially because the gun does fire that fraction of a second after you ask it to..
The window or duration of a sweet spot or the right moment has to be one and the same with any method, I certainly agree that there are times when misses seem inexplicable because all looked the same as before, this is why I often hold a picture for an instant but not sure why it needs to be nearly a second as that seems a very long time to me. 

In reality I think despite believing we did everything the same the reason for the miss is usually because barrel speed and hence lead is/was somewhat slower or of course faster.

Coming from behind needn't be slash/flash, the whole process has to be taken into account, you only see the end result when the gun goes bang but to the shooter it won't have necessarily looked like that. I used to use a lot of maintained but as good as it is, finding the line consistently is (I find) easier with swing through, it makes sense when you analyse it a bit, with maintained it is you who decides where to insert the gun in front of the clay and if that target isn't doing exactly as you think then you may well pick a slightly different tangent. 

Coming from behind for a swing through or even hold and pull away means you have to hit the clay with your barrels once already   :)  so you should be on the right line, also the process starts the moment you see the clay (which isn't when you overtake it) and involves mounting into the shot and possibly even holding briefly prior to firing so it doesn't feel rushed when done well but it can produce consistent hard breaks. 

Will, too much thinking!! In order to be a top shooter you have to learn to shoot several different techniques, although you may only ever use one for 98% of the targets you shoot at. Shooting is an eye hand coordinated exercise and this is where timing comes from, regardless if you shoot accelerated lead, maintained lead or even spot shooting. You have to let your eyes tell your brain what is happening so it can then tell your finger to pull the trigger, or not....

Latest posts

Back