Hello from Bridgend, South Wales

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hilla1

Hello everybody,

My name is Anthony and have lived in Bridgend for over 15 years originally from Birmingham. I'm a just retired 64 year old coming back to clay shooting after a break of 25-30 years so I consider myself a beginner again.

I've applied for my shotgun licence and looking for a local club and shooting grounds. If anybody out there can advise me on clubs etc I would be very grateful.

Thanks

Hi hilla 1 welcome aboard  :hi: enjoy the forum. I'm a little further west than you but if you want info on local clubs you could call into south west country sports at Kenfig and have a chat with Phil Ash as he supplies quite a few local clubs with cartridges and clays. There are a few local to bridgend and shoot in a sunday league I think there is still a club at St brides near Ewenny and also one called Aberbaiden just the other side of Kenfig. If you travel further afield there is crynant gun club near neath or east you have south wales 2000 near blackwood where you can shoot sporting, skeet or any of the trap disciplines.

Sounds like you would fit right in at Nelson shooting ground! (between caerphilly and merthyr open Sunday and Wednesday) For ABT and DTL (trap disciplines) not far from SW2000. If sporting is your thing there is treetops at newport (near J28) pay and play sporting layout where you can go and shoot solo if you want to get your eye in (open through the week)

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Anthony

Welcome

Local to you (Sporting) are

Aberkenfig (On top of Cefn Cribwr) - prob the best around for some distance for local club standard etc

St Brides - (Near castle-upon-Alun in a quarry) a bit like shooting with Dads Army here, nice bunch, takes for ever to shoot 50, ok if nothing else on

Vale of Glamorgan Gun Club (aka Evil Bobs, top of Crack Hill A48) Saturdays - this place is epic, but not for the faint hearted. 

Crynant (Neath) not been here for a while - you may have to take your own clays - i have heard its improving, not been to find out...

SW2000 - Mynyddislwyn - Caerphilly way - mainly depressed looking trap shooters here, there is a sporting layout, great canteen, open in week, well worth a look

For registered sporting you will have to travel further afield.  Occasionally at SW2000, St Dials Monmouth, Longridge in Ledbury (excellent and without doubt the best registered sporting ground nearest to South Wales, Steve Nutbeam also an excellent coach if you're keen)

Phil Ash in South & West Country Sports is a great guy and will have all that info and much more - pop in and see him.

Hope that helps, if you want any further info DM me and I will give you my number. 

Happy shooting...

Last edited by a moderator:
Many thanks to all who said hello and special thanks for those who gave the club info etc. I will certainly follow up on your leads. Happy shooting.

Hi Anthony, Welcome to ShootClay    :hi:  Enjoy your visits to the Forum.        :thumbsu: .

Back