gold cup

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just got back from gold cup really enjoyed it! A testing course!! But very good targets and layout! Should of picked up a few more targets but ended up on 119! Back tomorrow for the challenge. Can't wait!

Just got back from gold cup really enjoyed it! A testing course!! But very good targets and layout! Should of picked up a few more targets but ended up on 119! Back tomorrow for the challenge. Can't wait!
Well shot mate. Your a preposterous inhabitant of B class. It won't last long.. :)

Jason - well done as per my predictions 115 will take some beating for a c class shooter. You will be in the running I am sure by the end of tomorrow.

just got back from gold cup well done steve and alison. good targets cant complain about anything. you have to concentrate when there are three targets are in the air!! only dropped three on stand 16 so well chuffed.

well shot chris daniels a excellent 140 shame about the last stand. thanks for the advice i have taken it on board. that score will rattle the elite tomorrow!!!!!!!

Well what a shoot that was,it felt like a big shoot and was!

Great targets, was going along nicely then missed 6 on the rabbit stand,that put a spanner in the works.

When you don't shoot so well but come away really enjoying yourself is the sign of a good shoot in my book.

Shot this today and am still sitting at home wondering why other major events are not run or have a course set like today's shoot. We started on Stand 2, nice little incomer on report a quick ish left to right crosser. Stand 3 a left to right battue on report a straight low ish driven target. Up the platform to stand 3 crossing pink target followed by a green going away bird. So 3 stands shot, 2 were straight, ref's were incredibly friendly, no queues - honest to god not one queue until the last 2 stands.

Carried on to stand 5 which was the first of the 'flush' stands. As soon as you closed the gun the birds were released, couple of report pairs couple of sim pairs using a combination of 3 traps, loved it, exactly what sporting should be. Dropped one but we were still smiling. Walked to the top of the hill in to stand 7, watched someone shoot and it was then my turn. Again 3 traps and a menu of what pairs you shoot. I missed the first 3 pairs!! WTF was going on, managed to hit the rest but was left looking at the targets and thinking er what just happened! Watched my shooting partner almost do exactly the same thing, very clever presentation which totally caught us unprepared.

Wandered off to stand 6, nice climbing standard right to left off a cherry picker, followed by a mide doing the same thing ish, back to hitting clays thank god! Off to stand 8, another 'flush' stand with 3 traps, this time they were all teal targets, again very enjoyable although dropped 3 thanks to getting complacent!! Hey ho round to stand 9 and 2 relatively straight forward rabbits, sort of... First rabbit was a right to left crosser about 25 to 30 yards out, shot in front of the little bugger! Second rabbit was a left to right orange clay about 15 yards out, quickly realised I needed to be really steady to kill both and managed to drop 1!

Off we went to stand 10, interesting simo pair, both going left to right, a low orange looper and a higher faster standard, very tricky, you had IMO shoot the orange (lower) target first, this then meant the higher looper was quite a distance to your right and needed a chuck of lead to kill it. Dropped a couple here but was happy not to have come unstuck.

So to stand 11, quirky dropping incomer that fell in to the pond followed by a quartering incomer again dropping in to the bank, be careful not to overlead or shoot over the top! Managed to straight the stand!!

Stand 12 was another 'flush' stand but this time using 2 traps. Left to right crosser from the cherry picker followed by a driven target, Birds released as soon as the gun shut, managed to straight it so on to stand 13. Simo pair of high crossing loopers, right to left looper first, needed a bit of lead then the second looper could be shot as a crow, another straight!!

Stand 14, mmmm do we have to talk about this one! Quick ish left to right crosser, never gave it the respect it needed followed by a chondelle that looked like it was further out then it really was, so had a mare here, so thats stand 7 and 14, thankfully there wasn't a stand 21!!

Stand 15, 3 targets in the air at once!! Where's me camo auto when I need it!! No fear, you get to pick the 2 you want to shoot at and leave the other clay to fly its course, hahaha well sounds easy, managed to drop a complete pair! Donut!!

Stand 1 (no we haven't missed stand 16!!) nice right to left crosser, slightly quartering away followed by a high ish going away bird, saw a few peeps from here and said hello, then missed 2 going aways targets!!! ARGH!!

Right stand 16, this IMO was the best stand of the shoot, 4 traps, A left to right battue, with attitude, a right to left crossing midi with attitude, a quartering away right to left stand in a mood and a teal about 18 yards in front of you. You start shooting singles, so get to use both barrels, you might need them, battue wants a lot of respect, I mean a lot, midi crosser needs even more respect, teal should be fine and the quartering away stand needs respect but only to keep you online. All of these are killable and none of them are ridiculous, you just need to know where to shoot them, and no I didn't straight this stand.

All in all I thought the course was fantastic, loved the 'flush' stands and hope we see those again in the future, can't think of a target we didn't get. Ground had a great atmosphere and Steve and Allison even made sure it didn't rain...!!

Good report Matt , you remember them better than me

One good point here the sim pair of loopers at the top of the ground were a bit special , there was no description on the board ( as in new Fitasc rule )

???????????

Thanks Steve, . well we managed to hit whatever they were, not I would have shot them differently if I knew what they were :biggrin:

Just returned. Very enjoyable shoot with the flush stands definitely adding something. I would like to see more of this in reg shoots.

A few trap issues today which is unusual for Steve, but still got round fairly fast considering. Over 430 entries over the four days, many of them today. Bumped into Matt R going round with GD himself, so wondering how he got on. I would be surprised to see 140 broken, even by the master.

I started well but fell away badly in the last half. Tired? Just the nature of the stands? Or brain slowing up due to clay overload? Either way I was missing behind (on reflection) so pretty annoyed to drop away and finish on 106. If madmatt and I had teamed we would have done well. I seemed to have the opposite results to his in the post 68 above..

Great weather, great shoot, most enjoyable.

I decided not too shoot any majors this year, due to being quite disappointed in previous years so how would any one who did compare this Gamebore special ??? personally thought this was how it should be for a big shoot, won on a % which = 93ex100  plenty of variation and although my 119  felt 10-15 light, I did really enjoy it and to prove the point me and chipper shot it twice !! well done to all concerned :nyam:   

Just got back, bit of a long journey home due to accident/heavy traffic.

Really enjoyed the variety of targets, a couple of breakdowns but not a disaster. the only real waiting was stand 16 which was a shame as I would of liked to of seen the shoot off, but the targets on 16 were well worth the wait.

10/10 to steve and the ground crew and refs for the hard work they all put in.

I shot ok to start off with but then started making silly mistakes, three stands in particular that ruined a respectable score, however dropping only one driven target all day was a major highlight of my day.

Really good to catch up with familiar faces again.

congrats to Micheal and Jason top shooting

Last edited by a moderator:
I knew I would be shooting too much this weekend and I definitely shot too much/drove too much to give either Westfield or Wylye the respect they deserved today! But I just didn't want to miss either of them (and I shot 220 targets at Southdown yesterday) So over 500 targets for me this weekend.

Yes, I enjoyed it - I would have loved to shoot it twice, properly the second time!

My nightmare stands were 5 (kept forgetting the targets would fly as soon as I closed my gun),

7 awful, awful, awful, no idea what I was doing wrong, 10 couldn't find the black looper, opting to shoot it second playing safe with the orange one first but no way could I find it, and 13 overled the R to L.

Good stands 4 pink/green, 6,8 the teal, straighted the pond but most people did, and straight on 15 the 3 in the air, didn't seem to phase me but foxed Becky, who I shot with.

Managed to hit 5 on 16 and that black midi can be broken by a quarter choke. Couldn't have hit that Battue if I'd shot all 150 cartridges at it.

No reason more shoots - that aren't registered - couldn't be like this.

Well done Steve for putting on such a great, enjoyable but testing, shoot.

I watched you shoot the sim pair of loopers and thought that I could do better. I was wrong! Well done..

I never found a second target on the three at once stand. Mystery to me! Well done again.

I thought it was a cracking shoot - the best shoot I've shot all year.

Hats off to Steve and Ally for bringing the fun back into shooting with a great variety of targets and formats.

The only thing I want to complain about is the fact I'm going to have to wait another year to shoot a set of targets like that again!

absolutely cracking shoot, definitely hats off to Steve and Ally and all the refs. I was a bit nervous at first on the stands where the birds came as soon as you shut the gun but I soon got used to that. My score was nothing to write home about but I did not blank any of them and I did not come last! A miracle for me.

A very enjoyable days shooting well done to all involved. Lets have more stand sixteens type of targets, to hit one of those crossers nothing better.

I seemed to catch every que and breakdown! Took me over 4 to do the course! Did enjoy it, but my brain went into mush mode! Some good targets and formats, would like another crack at it!

Latest posts

Back