EJ Churchill Challenge

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Will Hewland

EJ Churchill have announced their annual Challenge shoot. It looks like a slightly paler version of what RBSS do; which is fine as it is does not clash and is cheaper at £37.50 a pop. No details are published on the Handicap system, but I gather that it is not CPSA based. There will be four secret stands that will be used to set the handicap. Some prizes for `real` scores too. See their ads.. It starts 5th December and runs to end of Feb; so plenty of time. Only weekdays I think.. Then, the RBSS Handicap will start just as this finishes I guess.. Cheers,CSC3

I did this last year - with about 3 inches of snow on the ground - was pretty tough, but enjoyable.Happy to go round again this year if you fancy it - have a load of time off over Christmas which might provide a weekday opportunity - or can take an afternoon off in January. I'm going to do the registered there next week if you want to get a plan together ;-)

Sounds good. There are also shoots on 27th at Crazy Bear and Westfield reg on 28th.. I am up for the reg on 1st, but have a meeting first thing, so 1pm start works for me. Cheers,CSC3

OK - will confirm, but probably will be there in the morning as I have afternoon meetings.- maybe I will see if I can swap round a bit. I'm up in Leicester on Sunday with JonSkeet and Ed, we're going to shoot the Grange Farm reg.

I can do the 1st too if you fancy another coming along. I might as well book the 2nd off as well and have a nice long weekend

Replie to your email (and johns) Matt but not sure if you recieved- my account is playing up at the mo. All good for 11am Sunday, looking forward to it and a good chance to cast an eye over John before doing anything drastic!

Hi Ed, I got the email thanks and also replied ;)  At least the forecasted 50MPH winds are no longer forecast :)  Looking forward to it, just need to put my gun back together as it's in bits currently .. Cheers, Jon.

I shot this afternoon with 2 mates Phil Keatley and Andrew Tudge - good steady course with nothing really at distance but enough to catch you out with speed and angles. I shot 93, Phil shot 84 and Andrew 89.  Not sure what handicaps were added eventually.  I missed 1 target on 5 stands and one complete pair on a rabbit and 1/4 away blaze target.  The 20 bird compak sequence was interesting but could be tricky if the sun was shining. I foresee the final HG of about 96-97 but very enjoyable afternoon had by all! Steve

Nice healthy score there Steve /wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-laugh.gif. 

I plan to do it on Friday, with David B and two or three others. Looking forward to it. Steve, did the fibre wad thing go unmentioned? They allow plas for the CPSA and If I know EJC they wouldn't have thought to make a decision on this one.. CSC3

Nice shooting Steve... I'm looking forward to the 23rd when a few of us from here are doing it... I shall aim for 100 and work backwards from there... :)

CleverSC3 said:

Steve, did the fibre wad thing go unmentioned? They allow plas for the CPSA and If I know EJC they wouldn't have thought to make a decision on this one.. CSC3
 What's that about fibre wads Clever? Are you saying we have to use fibre? /wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-frown.gif/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-frown.gif

HiEjc is now a fibre ground, but they allow plas for cpsa shoots. I will use plas at the challenge unless directed, which is unlikely. They are not manic about it. I suspect they will say fibre if you ask, so don't!Cheers CSC3

I won't /wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-cool.gif/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-laugh.gif.

Shot it today.Very bright sunny day, which can spell disaster at EJC, but didn't with this course, so well done them. It would be a touch easier on a cloudier day just for light balance.I now know that the very impressive scores from Steve Lovatt and mates were not from their first go! There are a few deceptive stands that a second go would be better on. I only dropped two on the 20 bird sequence, and next time I will know which one to shoot first on the sim pairs! (Probably wont improve though..)The superb long R-L crosser from the last registered is part of it, although shot from the other grouse but. A great target.All in all I was a bit dissapointed on my 79 and will be back. I won't hit 93, but will definately hit more on the right day.. as I cocked up two stands quite badly which I feel I can fix.With handicap I was on 106 I think.It is enjoyable. Nothing stupid. Some easy stands and some testing stuff. Recommended.Cheers,CSC3

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back