effect on choke of back boring barrels

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hmmm what a messy subject!

I can only go on what a very well respected gunsmith told me, if your gun is choked using standard choke lapping tools BUT your barrels are over bored, then the choke in the end will be tighter... So you have a half and 3/4 choked gun, the barrels are 18.7 bores, this effectively means your choking is something like tight 3/4 tight full!

Now a few of you are correct when you say it is pattern density at x yards, BUT a decent gunsmith can ensure an even density pattern at a given distance by playing with forcing cones and chokes and you 'could' end up with a gun that is choked tight 1/4 which throws a pattern like a half choke.

John

not sure mate you could be correct.

As Matt says its a deep subject. Choke ! A measurement or a result ? Seems that it depends who you ask.

One thing i know for certain fixed 3/4 full does me just fine

The thing with choke is, you may think you have a particular choke setup in your gun but in fact you have something else entirely! Even trap shooters would benefit from a trip to a decent gunsmith, if you want a smooth shooting gun that shoots consistent patterns that is! You may find your ideal setup is 5/8 5/8 using a specific shell because at the end of the day it is all about putting kills on the score card!

Ian I don't know what you might call it back boring or re-boring but could it be an old way of changing the constriction of an old fixed choke gun before we went screw in? Say for example you had a gun that had a 1/4 fixed choke and you wanted a 3/4 could you not just ream (Back bore) the barrel 20 thou not touching the choke area of the barrel to get the 30 thou constriction? Or is it not that simple ?
I don't think so, but who know WTF happens in the Mirror World?  It would be a FAR more difficult machining operation than it would be worth.  I've never heard of it being done, but that doesn't mean much.

I would never go so far as to say that barrel mods don't work absolutely.  But I absolutely have never seen any empirical evidence to substantiate it.  

Ips, I would guess that just your mentioning all those wonderful things means that you love them as much as I do.  Brothers separated at birth no doubt.

Indeed mr wonko.

I am a tradisionalist, I have no Interest in re-inventing the wheel.

Indeed mr wonko.

I am a tradisionalist, I have no Interest in re-inventing the wheel.
Agreed, certainly.  Tho I do notice that a number of shooter/posters are very creative non-traditionalists in the field of spelling.   :preved:

Always good to know that spark lives on.

:pilot:

I dunt no wot yuo meen nuffhnk rong wit mi spelhng

Back