COVID-19 and Game season 20/21

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FlyingTrotter

After all the energy put in to the steel renewable plastic debate I would be interesting in moving the discussion and to ask for thoughts on the degree to which the “virus suppression” measures now applicable in the U.K. and across the EU will allow the game shoots to viably prepare for the new season. Maybe the answer differs depending upon the size of the shoot. 

obviously holding shoots will be impacted if beaters and pickers up are self isolating when the season opens and international travel restrictions and guidance not to go to pubs and hotels remains in place but is the position even more concerning in that preparations/ bird rearing are impacted

i don’t know enough about what the gamekeepers and their team have to do to work it 

No really thinking about what is involved in larger terms in preparation - do birds still get reared on a large scale in continental Europe or has that big transportation issue ended 

I have heard that many syndicate guns are not paying deposits for fear that game season will be disrupted

Asking a lot for anyone to pay for birds and the associated husbandry costs in the hope that someone will be able to shoot in a few months time.Small numbers possibly but commercial scale I`d doubt it`ll happen now.Game rearers are canvassing opinion at the moment from what I`ve heard.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well that turned out OK !!

the new rule of 6 is going to be very challenging to work around and the pre and post shoot social side seems unworkable - anyone heard of any bright ideas being employed/planned 

I had tentative plans to fund a sim day, but that’s just unrealistic to be honest.

Actually, I can now see this continuing throughout the next twelve months.

I know of one organisation that are close to the Covid-19 issue have essentially shut down until October 2021

My employers had since the beginning March, pre-lockdown, had planned to restrict office working until at least the end of this year.

This new rule once again prevents me from seeing my children as I would normally and have had to negotiate changes in routines with some fairly uncompromising people.

It’s a bit of a bu§§er as my dad would have said.

Well that turned out OK !!

the new rule of 6 is going to be very challenging to work around and the pre and post shoot social side seems unworkable - anyone heard of any bright ideas being employed/planned 
I’ve not heard from our shoot captain on the subject yet , or from the lady where I’ve got a couple of bought days .We’ve been doing work on the shoot , got a  big work day coming and work is exempt . I suppose that looks after the beaters and pickers up too .  As far as the shooting goes ,  what’s Covid safer than standing umpteen yards apart in North Yorkshire farmland ?  

The  link below is from “ Guns on Pegs “ and it makes  some valid points .  I suppose the big issue will be our after shoot tea where the guns and beating team would virtually take the pub over for a couple of hours . On the  bought days I don’t see a problem as at place I’ve booked the lunch is bring your own  we can eat it off the tailgate , and as there is no team it’ll just be the two of us off for a pub tea . 

one things for sure , I won’t be shooting in a mask as it will steam my specs up 

https://www.gunsonpegs.com/articles/shooting-talk/will-the-new-covid-rules-for-england-impact-shooting

I hope you are right and some can continue - I am hearing of a lot that will not - mainly those that are travelling teams for which the shooting day is a part of the wider experience

if the only permissible shooting is drive in drive out hospitality reduced if not DIY catering and socially distanced and all outside it will work for the smaller local shoot but a lot do not fit that model 

probably be clearer by mid Oct 

Already done two days beating, have 50 plus days on 2 shoots on calendar. Corvid protocol adhered to in accordance with gov guidelines. Such as beating teams of 6, masks worn in vehicles, sanitiser used frequently etc etc. Its not been at all difficult. One has to also remember that as beaters and pickers are employed (technically) then work place RA is in effect and not the 6 People meeting blah blah. As for guns that is a organised sporting activity. At this stage we are still not sure about loading however there are plans in place

EDIT

"Organised sporting activity" as in as far as govt guidelines are concerned re RA and protocol etc

I believe the new lockdown restrictions in England and Wales will stop game shooting - had a notice from one of the biggest shoots saying they are cancelling all shoots in the first 10 days whilst they review the legislation and take legal advice but others seem to fell it will block shooting - what are others hearing 

There's a bit of a push back on the outdoor activities. Again there seems to be no consitant message. Archery and shooting ranges are to close, However it seems it  would be ok to walk on the same land and sit on a bench with another for a pickernic ?

Let's see what happens. 

I believe the new lockdown restrictions in England and Wales will stop game shooting - had a notice from one of the biggest shoots saying they are cancelling all shoots in the first 10 days whilst they review the legislation and take legal advice but others seem to fell it will block shooting - what are others hearing 
We are stuffed until lockdown is lifted.... what a drag. I can't mix with 20 blokes on a game day outside however I can mix with any number of folk indoors in the supermarket 🙄

We are stuffed until lockdown is lifted.... what a drag. I can't mix with 20 blokes on a game day outside however I can mix with any number of folk indoors in the supermarket 🙄
Or down the crowded unregulated  local park where you can enjoy being run into by joggers, kids on bikes and seeing your dog being attacked by another that hasn't been out of the house since the last lockdown. 

Latest posts

Back