Corrective Vision - The Arguments for and against Laser Eye Surgery?

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pro - It does seem to correct your vision

Con - Its expensive and its a relatively young procedure to conclude its life time benefit. I think the first procedure was done in the 1950's so 60 (odd) years old but this but only in the last 20 years has it really been available.

A lady in work had it done a few months ago and in her words 'her life has totally changed since!'

I plan on having mine done in the next year or so. Everyone I know who has had it said it's brilliant.

I had mine done about three years ago now, no regrets at all. Do your own research though, I think it's a very personal decision and not entirely without risk.

In my case, I found a half price offer, so got both eyes done for £1800, using all the latest (at the time) techniques. Took a year or more before I got out of the habit of reaching for my glasses every morning. I still have to wear reading glasses, but for shooting and driving I had a great result, and would do it again in an instant.

I've also been thinking about having it done.

My cousin's wife and a friend from work has had it done and say it's the best decission they have ever made.

As said it's not with out risk no surgery is risk free and it is not cheap.

Thanks very much folks for your input - much appreciated. :)

I'm having it done this Thursday for about £2,200 - apparently the post-op haziness should disappear in between 2 to 4 hours after the procedure, which is good, as I've a full weekend's shooting next weekend.

I'll let you know how I get on.

I had my master right eye done over ten years ago, I was looking for tiny advantages as it was nearly as good as my left. My eye has now reverted back worse than it was, I will never know if it would be like this if I hadn't done anything, I now use a prescription lens behind Hidefspex, especially for DT in bad light, in good light my vision is OK. So I do actually regret it, You need more info on how long it lasts.

I had my master right eye done over ten years ago, I was looking for tiny advantages as it was nearly as good as my left. My eye has now reverted back worse than it was, I will never know if it would be like this if I hadn't done anything, I now use a prescription lens behind Hidefspex, especially for DT in bad light, in good light my vision is OK. So I do actually regret it, You need more info on how long it lasts.
Thanks Jake - sage input and I sincerely thank you for it.

I've heard all the stories about "you'll still need reading glasses even after you've had the procedure", and I've heard from family members who've had it done that I won't - I guess I'll just have to ride that horse as it presents itself. But as I've been used to glasses, if I now have to wear them for reading and not shooting, then I think that's progress, at least in terms of my three-days-a-week personal hobby.

A friend had it done about two years ago after a life of glasses and lenses and all the irritations that come with contact lense wearing. It has been a revelation, life has improved beyond all dreams. No longer needs any glasses or correction at all. A very happy Bunny.

Good luck with it Bren - the current techniques are far more advanced and elegant than they were!

Regarding the reading glasses issue, sometimes the surgeon will "do you a favour" and deliberately build in a bit of short-sightedness to help with reading, this is obviously a no-no for shooting so please make sure they know how important equal, clear distance vision is for you!

Thanks for the well wishes folks - sincerely much appreciated :)

Rather than write it out again, I've posted a write-up of the procedure and what to expect, incorporating Ed's last reply above, at our place HERE

Back