Chicago diary - Competition Day

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bob_P

Been reall struggling to write this up on a tblet, please excuse typos, editing is a nightmare.

Woke this morning after a fairly late night on Wednesday watching the opening ceremony. Monsoon rains and a really serious thunderstorm, lightning everywhere & a few glum faces in the hotel. We made the trip to the ground, traffic lights not working and a bit chaotic. Got soaked getting from the car park to the clubhouse, to be told that all shooting was delayed by at least an hour. It would have been too dark to see any clays at 08:00, the only light was from the impressive lightning.

It all calmed down a little, left Wendy in the club and off to shoot the first parcours. I had a bit of a nightmare, was wet through and the squally wind didn't help. Scraped a 16, so not too happy, off to the next straight away and didn't do a lot better with an 18. Targets were farly staraightforward reall, I was overleading everything. The squad was pretty good, and all were suffering from the conditions.

Because of the delayed start, I then had to find Wenddy to shoot 66 birds of our 200 bird sporting. The sun started to shine and I got a bit better, shooting 54 ex 66 and leading B when we left. Did have a quick look at the scores before leaving. A spanish guy had shot 50 straight, but none of the big names had completed their rounds yet, we left with them all still out there.

Early start tomorrow for a continuation of the sporting, then 50 fitasc in the afternoon, hoping for better things.

Matt, met up with Randy & Jimmy, they send their regards. All the shooters of all nationalities have been more than welcoming, and we're having a great time just chilling and talking shooting.

We'll post better photos when we're back, getting good pics off the the tablet is a bit challenging. Out for a birthday meal with Wendy with our new buddies from Arkansas, his truck defies description, but let's say he carries a few guns. Will try and get piccies.

Breakfast then up and at em, looking dry out of the window. Try and get in the top half today, this Fitasc doesn't allow for many mistakes.

post-74-0-74677900-1345202928.jpg

post-74-0-55507600-1345202979.jpg

post-74-0-23306000-1345203017.jpg

post-74-0-31474500-1345203059.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20120816_060730.jpg
    IMG_20120816_060730.jpg
    171.6 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20120815_224959.jpg
    IMG_20120815_224959.jpg
    132.9 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20120815_225016.jpg
    IMG_20120815_225016.jpg
    77.5 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20120816_001534.jpg
    IMG_20120816_001534.jpg
    151.8 KB · Views: 0
In picture 3 - is that cigar bloke from Portugal? I remember when I said 'howdy' to him, he looked like he was at home for the first time that week...

When I eventually build the ShootClay SG (perfect location, perfect terrain, perfect targets, perfect bacon rolls etc) - there will be Golf Buggies...

And champagne, champagne for everyone...

post-10-0-92871200-1345204443.jpg

Attachments

• Withnail2009_468x320.jpg
    Withnail2009_468x320.jpg
    31 KB · Views: 0
Some of the carts are full four seater 4x4s with gun racks, coolers & a BBQ. Will try for better pics..

Off to shoot the sporting main event this morning, then 50 fitasc this afternoon

Some of the carts are full four seater 4x4s with gun racks, coolers & a BBQ. Will try for better pics..

Off to shoot the sporting main event this morning, then 50 fitasc this afternoon
Damn, I needs to gets me one of them! :cool:

Keep at 'em Bob! ;) :D

Come on mark! Had a bad first round but pulled it back well. A decent last day could see him in the medals. Fingers crossed for him, lots of people on the same scores so will be close.

Sorry for the lack of updates, having some technical and tiredness problems. A few Brits in shoot offs for the side events last night, almost dark when they finished.

I shot the Beretta course yesterday, considered to be the toughest, one of the tower midis started at 60 yards and was going away, didn't see anyone hit it. Another midi a few pegs later should be renames "sputnik", I doubt that any have landed yet, although I fluked a second barrel kill on that one. I was aiming at Canada. I shot a 15 and felt I shot it well!

Overall I'm finding it much tougher than Portugal, maybe what Fitasc should be?

Shooting the last two parcours today, having missed the money by one clay in two sporting side events. Apparently I have earned a few punches, so would be on my way to AA class over here. Think their sporting courses are a bit softer than ours.

Still in awe at some of the wealth on display. A guy yesterday had a four seater "moon" buggy, with three custom K80s in the rack on the back, over $250k of guns. Many of the top shooters have their own sporting clay grounds and will happily shoot 500 plus cartridges a day in practise.

Going to shoot a round of "Make a Break" this morning with a couple of new buddies. Then my last two parcours this afternoon. The whole thing is like total immersion in shooting, I could really get used to this, absolutely love it!

Looking forward to Madrid for the Worlds next year, if you can make it, go for it!

Back