Caravan (Airstream) or Motorhome for EU Trap Ground Touring

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's been a while since I had one, but I had almost no trouble. They are built for crossing America. Fuel consumption will be high of course, but you aren't doing huge annual mileage of course. You will be so pleased with it when you pull up. I didn't go overseas many times in it. If its a factor find out about the 6m ferry thing.

I started with the small ones and was so glad when went bigger USA jobs. I bought from Dudleys in Oxfordshire. Really helpful and good for trade in when you are done. They even reupholstered the sofas inexpensively as it was horrible when I found it.

Like everything, its personal choice, but I found that American ones were better value in terms of what you get for the money. If it were a new Brit one or a 5 year old US one.. No contest for me..

Thanks Fellas,

I wasn't even considering american ones (cos I don't really like US vehicles except for the Airstream) but I think I'll take a closer look. 

We have just bought a motor home having been caravanners for 25 years.  We have towed caravans to Europe and been as far as Austria when the kids were young.  With a caravan, the van size and weight determines the size and weight of the tow vehicle.  Basically the car needs to weight 100% and the loaded van should not exceed 85% of the weight of the car.  When we bought our first van we immediately had to get a bigger, heavier more powerful car.  The combination of decent car and caravan, even secondhand will approximate to the cost of a decent motorhome secondhand so you pays your money and takes your choice.

The caravan is good for parking up for a reasonable stay, putting up an awning etc and leaving on site whilst you retain a car to drive around in locally when you get to your destination.

The motorhome is an all in one accommodation/vehicle combination.  When you get there you have to still drive around in it unless you decide to tow a little car like a Smart or something similar.  Europe is geared up for motorhomes and is more motorhome friendly than the UK.

You will get a higher load allowance on a motorhome than on a caravan.  A caravan requires careful loading to get the balance right to avoid snaking issues.  There are lots of issues with UK caravans and leaks/damp so choose carefully but some are OK.  I like the look of Buccaneers as a quality product.   You will pay through the nose for an Airstream.

I have an 2010 Autotrail Frontier Savannah bought recently with less than 10k mileage, a 3 litre diesel Fiat cab and good quality fixtures and fittings.  It is dead easy to drive and very much like a car in terms of steering, clutch, gearbox etc.  Think 3.5 ton white van.  It creaks and rattles a bit but you learn to pad out the crockery with foam etc.  Fuel consumption laden is affordable compared to American gas guzzlers which will cost a fortune to run in Europe unless you can always bank on filling up in Luxembourg.

Height is also a factor and 3m is an important limit not to exceed.  I have not been abroad in it yet so have not looked into the ferry pricing.  Having run the biggest Volvo estate and a Bessacarr twin axle large caravan on cross channel ferries I can't imagine a motorhome can be more than that. 

European motorhome cab based coachbuilts have the habitation door on the wrong side for driving in the UK but obviously on the right side for the continent.  Ovens tend to be small and very high up which is not safe for shorter wives.  I don't think Europeans use their ovens very much! 

There are some very impressive large A class motorhomes like the Carthago, Hymer, Niesmann & Bischoff etc but they are very big and very expensive and no doubt suffer from depreciation.

Be very careful to get the layout that you want - don't buy other than for yourselves i.e. don't assume that friends, children/grandchildren will come with you.  An awning can cater for them.  With a motorhome make sure you get one with the right number of belted seats for the beds & passengers as they tend to have less belted seats than bed spaces!

Come back with any questions

A friend of mine had a big American motorhome for a while and the size was a serious issue, coupled with being LH drive when driving in the UK. Great if you are driving on main roads between destinations but don't get caught out in a little market town on a bank holiday Monday !! We brought the whole town to a standstill ...oops!!

The fuel was also a big issue being a V8 petrol which returned about 12>15 miles to the gallon. I think all the US stuff is big petrol engined so if planning a trip to Europe budget for a big fuel bill. 

That said, it was like a house when you finally arrived somewhere.

Caveat emptor

DT

Last edited by a moderator:
My Dad worked in the film industry - and borrowed a Winnebago from a contact that used to use them as 'talent caravans' on set. 

Monster vehicle - we drove to the South of France in it when I was about 19/20 - it had 2 good size double beds, a kitchen,  a full size shower and 4 armchair style seats (driver + 2 passengers) - great luxury - but at a price.... it did about 15mpg.

I'd love one for touring around - but fuel prices are a massive factor these days. 

I really like the German coachbuilt manufacturer Carthago because they have a very broad and smart well spec'd range and they only make motorhomes as opposed to other motorhome manufacturers seem to be primarily caravan builders. That I think must be a good thing.
ooh so looking at high end stuff then. Ok also look at Dethlefs maybe am A class would be suited but budget for 60k new 40k for decent used. If you do consider a panel van for whatever reason the globecar range is currently considered to be very good very affordable by comparison and have some very innovative layouts. I advise a trip to one of the caravan shows such as NEC in i think Feb you will be able to compare all the different styles and see what suits. If you buy new make sure it is exactly the layout you need spend a lot of time in the van before purchase, they sometimes feel ideal in the showroom but after a trip or two the draw backs start to show by which time its too late. Obviously i don't know your financial position but the general advice is to buy your first one used as most people need to live with one for a while before they get to know what suits.

Also, new vans are renowned to suffer issues early on so buy from a dealer close to you if possible otherwise you could end up with costly trips to the dealer for warranty issues.

Ps, if i was to buy motor home again which is not out of the question i would definitely buy a van conversion much easier to store, drive and park and hold value well.

My advice is you do same assuming its just the two of you and your dog is not a st Bernard.

So globebar or adria would be my choice.

Thanks everyone for the very valuable advice very much appreciated indeed. There's a lot there to consider so I think i'll take a condor moment and look for a used one first. I may even hire a couple more times before I buy probably from southdownsmotorhomes as their just down the road from me.

Thanks again everyone   

Saw a horror story on the TV this morning of a company that did up your motor homes insides to give you what you want......absolutely frightening....stuff to do with leaks from batteries that can blow up....wiring in wrong places....and gas extraction units blocked..or the vents block.....no insulation where it should be in the walls ...so the thing dripped from condensation all the time you were in it.....etc etc ......

The website of the fitter looked really great...and loads of good revues...but....all lies....they all hated their vans when the reporter found them......SO be careful what you buy. (or check out the clip on TV catchup. It was after the BBC news finished this morning).

Life on the open road .....not for me i am afraid.....I am more 5 star ......than Pikey :wink:

I like a big gin in a proper bar after having a nice bubble bath or shower...or jack... :wink:

Thanks everyone for the very valuable advice very much appreciated indeed. There's a lot there to consider so I think i'll take a condor moment and look for a used one first. I may even hire a couple more times before I buy probably from southdownsmotorhomes as their just down the road from me. Thanks again everyone
your very welcome keep us informed as to what you decide.

ps, will even give you a discount on our caravan site if your ever in lancashire :)

Saw a horror story on the TV this morning of a company that did up your motor homes insides to give you what you want......absolutely frightening....stuff to do with leaks from batteries that can blow up....wiring in wrong places....and gas extraction units blocked..or the vents block.....no insulation where it should be in the walls ...so the thing dripped from condensation all the time you were in it.....etc etc ......The website of the fitter looked really great...and loads of good revues...but....all lies....they all hated their vans when the reporter found them......SO be careful what you buy. (or check out the clip on TV catchup. It was after the BBC news finished this morning). Life on the open road .....not for me i am afraid.....I am more 5 star ......than Pikey :wink:I like a big gin in a proper bar after having a nice bubble bath or shower...or jack... :wink:
ha, dont knock it till you try it modern vans are very well equipped :)

Apart from when we picked it up from Don Amott's Leisure Kingdom near Derby and bought Philip a new Browning 725 from Premier Guns at Doveridge and had a few days up there we have not been able to use it!  

My Mum is 88, caught a urinary tract infection, fell and broke her arm, been in hospital, too frightened to go home so had to find her a retirement home, sell/move out her stuff, decorate, garden, let the bungalow and it now seems that she might have early signs of dementia so the last 2 months have been devoted to getting her settled which is not yet the case!

Its all very sad!

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow, sorry to hear that Robert sounds like a very stressful time you have been having. Hope it all works out for you.

I was brought up on caravan holidays and vw campers. Brilliant times. My father has a nice Mercedes based hymer, very comfortable, lovely piece if kit, although not that long it is very wide and pretty high, to be honest it doesn't get used anywhere near as much as it should because of this... Bigger not always better. Just in the process of converting my vw transporter into a little 2 birth for the GB shoots. Hotels are nice from time to time, but camping or vanning is so relaxing.

Absolutely mate.

Your vw will be ideal for next years shoots. You doing it yourself or having it done. Bespoke internal or you buying pre fab kit ?

I'm doing it myself. Need to still be able to use it as an everyday drive so building it myself from odd bits as there is nothing quite how I need it.

Back