Blaser F16

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
First things first, what is your idea of fairly light? The brother of one of our regular posters on here @GlawsterCodger has an F16 sporter which I've shot a couple of times. His one weighs 8lb 3oz which is exactly the same as my CG and also the same as an Ultra XS Titanium that I tried around the same time. The game model F16 is noticeably lighter though and IMO probably too light for a big day on the clays.

Opinion wise I liked the F16, it felt good in my hands and shot just as well for me as my own gun. But then I also quite liked the Ultra XS, easily the nicest handling Browning I've ever tried and if I absolutely had to have a Browning it would be one I'd choose.
That's a good question. Perhaps light isn't the right word, and I actually mean I don't like a front heavy gun. I currently own a Fausti XF4, which is a good gun, but I don't feel it's all that well balanced for me, and doesn't have the capability of being re-balanced all that easily.

Of course if I was looking for a reasonably priced gun whose balance could be easily set up to my preference and was looking for something with a tall clumsy action, the XS Ultra Pro fits the bill perfectly 😉
It al comes down to personal preference. I tried a dozen different Beretta's. The only one that I liked was the DT11. My luck... I love the old Miroku guns that are low in the comb/ tall action. I tried 725 with a somewhat lower action and ended up buying a 525 with a lovely tall clumsy action. And yes, it happened to be the Ultra XS pro. 

Where most people around me prefer a Beretta or 725 browning....

It al comes down to personal preference. I tried a dozen different Beretta's. The only one that I liked was the DT11. My luck... I love the old Miroku guns that are low in the comb/ tall action. I tried 725 with a somewhat lower action and ended up buying a 525 with a lovely tall clumsy action. And yes, it happened to be the Ultra XS pro. 

Where most people around me prefer a Beretta or 725 browning....
It could have been my EX,   XS Pro    !    Could not hit a damned thing with it, I now have a ProSport which I am shooting a lot better with  ?

It could have been my EX,   XS Pro    !    Could not hit a damned thing with it, I now have a ProSport which I am shooting a lot better with  ?
I tried a 725 Prosport, way to bulky for me! I was very much in the dark in the beginning about what gun I should buy. I did go to a clay ground / shooting school on a weekly basis for a couple of months. Tried many guns in the rack. Tried many guns of fellow shooters. Got many lessons. That all together made me being able to pick out a gun with confidence. I was also able to try several new guns that they ordered for me. I picked out the one that gave me the best feeling. And listened to good advice. 

I have over 60 years experience and was recently forced into changing my gun (long story). I opted for the XS Pro, because they had a new one on the shelf.  Try as I might, I was just unable to live with that gun. I tried every adjustment possible, but all to no avail. I would go out and shoot a 51/100 sporting, a week later 70+, then drop back down to 60 ish.  I just did not know why  !  I took out the Pro on the 2 traps at the rear of the gun dealers and, OK they were not overly difficult targets, but I was mincing them. My first 100 sporting I was mid 70's. A few 'tweaks' such as adding barrel weights towards the muzzle and the thinnest of the comb washers fitted, the balance is fractionally forward of the hinge pin now, the overall weight is 8lbs 14ozs. but it does not feel like it. (Trying to keep it out of Will's skip  !). My last score prior to the current lockdown was 82/100. Taking my age, health and eyesight into consideration, I was happy with that. Shooting 1/4 in both and my favoured Cheddite cartridges, I will not be changing any time soon.

I have over 60 years experience and was recently forced into changing my gun (long story). I opted for the XS Pro, because they had a new one on the shelf.  Try as I might, I was just unable to live with that gun. I tried every adjustment possible, but all to no avail. I would go out and shoot a 51/100 sporting, a week later 70+, then drop back down to 60 ish.  I just did not know why  !  I took out the Pro on the 2 traps at the rear of the gun dealers and, OK they were not overly difficult targets, but I was mincing them. My first 100 sporting I was mid 70's. A few 'tweaks' such as adding barrel weights towards the muzzle and the thinnest of the comb washers fitted, the balance is fractionally forward of the hinge pin now, the overall weight is 8lbs 14ozs. but it does not feel like it. (Trying to keep it out of Will's skip  !). My last score prior to the current lockdown was 82/100. Taking my age, health and eyesight into consideration, I was happy with that. Shooting 1/4 in both and my favoured Cheddite cartridges, I will not be changing any time soon.
You mention XS Pro but couldn't get on with it, then taking a Pro to try out at the dealers, do you mean the Prosport 725

Yes, my previous post on page 1,  explained that I had exchanged a 525XS Pro for a ProSport.
Blimey Westley page one, I've slept since reading that I can't be expected to remember it 😄

Looked and tried one and very nice. But the dealer I went to rolled back the trade in offer on my Guerini, not due to condition, just that they don't sell well second hand. So why agree a price before I go there then, so walked.

Looking on line and found an Ultra XS Pro exquisite 2 which had the hand grip like the Prosport which I favour, which I didn't realise Browning was doing. Phone call to dealer,exchange agreed and went and got it.

Bit more than the first one but well pleased with it too

Curious if the OP’s mind is made up about the F16 then 😄

So after reading through people's opinions, I decided to have a go on a Browning Ultra XS Pro. I was pleasantly surprised to say the least.
Did you buy it, or just fired a few shells with one?

Back