Berretta 694 problems

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi guys thanks to everyone for the messages and advice apologies in advance I have gone to the darkside, I tried the Caesar Gurini invctus 1 and fell for it and then bought it please don’t hate me I couldn’t help myself thanks again everyone. 
Great choice.... Enjoy 

Following on from my recent foray's into prospective Blaser and Persazzi ownership, neither of which seem likely right now. I too have fallen for the technical charms of this little Beretta. I've not owned a Beretta for something like 30 years, so maybe it's time to revisit the brand? 

To that end, the local gunroom have very kindly lent me a near as damn it new 694 with 30" barrels. I must admit, the spec seems pretty good and the weight is over a pound lighter than the MXS I tried, so I'm looking forward to giving it a try out in the morning. 

Happy shooting! 

Following on from my recent foray's into prospective Blaser and Persazzi ownership, neither of which seem likely right now. I too have fallen for the technical charms of this little Beretta. I've not owned a Beretta for something like 30 years, so maybe it's time to revisit the brand? 

To that end, the local gunroom have very kindly lent me a near as damn it new 694 with 30" barrels. I must admit, the spec seems pretty good and the weight is over a pound lighter than the MXS I tried, so I'm looking forward to giving it a try out in the morning. 

Happy shooting! 
My father has a 30" 694 and loves it, really good stock dimensions. Check which drop you are getting as there are 2 variants, 50 and 56mm of drop at heel. Also check the balance, the stocks are quite heavy, if you like a gun on the hinge pin or forward of the hinge you may prefer a 32". My dads 30" balances on the pin without any weights in the stock.

My father has a 30" 694 and loves it, really good stock dimensions. Check which drop you are getting as there are 2 variants, 50 and 56mm of drop at heel. Also check the balance, the stocks are quite heavy, if you like a gun on the hinge pin or forward of the hinge you may prefer a 32". My dads 30" balances on the pin without any weights in the stock.
Thanks for this. I was aware of the two drop sizes. TBH I opted not to ask or measure it, I'm thinking if I shoot OK with it then I'm not going to be concerned about it. The view over the rib looks "normal" to me, I like to just see just a skim across the top of the rib, so I suspect this one has the 55mm drop at heel. Anyway, if I don't like it, it's on loan so I'll just hand it back. 

I did check the balance and it balances a finger width behind the pin (this one is also a 30") I suspect the stocks are heavier than the 692 as the comb is somewhat thicker. The fit in the hand is good too, I like the shape of the grip and the forend is just right for me, ie not too slim but certainly not chunky at all (Unlike me sadly 😉)

Have just sent my 2019 692 high rib back to GMK for a service with particular attention to the tigger not resetting reliably on second barrel will advise how long it takes ref. the post which indicated long turn around time.

Have just sent my 2019 692 high rib back to GMK for a service with particular attention to the tigger not resetting reliably on second barrel will advise how long it takes ref. the post which indicated long turn around time.

Hi Mikey,

That could be because of the screw holding the action together (the one accesible by removing the safety switch) coming loose. In itself not much of a problem, and easily fixed. It's worthwile to check this once a year or so and if in doubt, replacing the original loctite. Don't ask me how I know? Oh. Well, if you insist.

If left unattended, play in the screw will increase and they can snap. It's been the only issue I personally had with my 692, and of course the screw broke at the top of the threads some 7mm in the hole. Couldn't drill a hole for a grab-it, so that was a problem. I was however lucky enough to be able to consult a better mind ánd use a friend's laser engraver to cut a slot in the broken screw and screw it out. With that sorted, the new screw was already in the mail. I was back in action in 72 hours, which is well short of service turn-around.

Posting this as its worthwile for other 692 owners to check this screw occasionally. Note that the safety comes off the action through pushing out a rolling pin, which is indented for the 'clicky spring' that both works to ensure positive engagement of the safety and to hold this rolling pin in place. It is easy to remove and put back on, but my description is probably not the best. If pressed i can take some pictures or a short vid.

Latest posts

Back