Adjustable comb

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

powenb

I've been having a play around with the set-up of my adjustable comb.

FYI I'm a right hander.

I used a homemade pattern plate to get the shot about where I think it should be.

I read that you need to adjust the comb in the direction you want the shot to move. So if the shot is too far left, you move the comb to the right.

Exactly the opposite was happening. My shot was slightly left, especially the bottom barrel and the more I moved the comb to the right, the more left it went.

So I then moved it a couple of clicks left of centre and it's not bang on centre. Much happier.

Not sure why that was happening?!?!

At least I've got it where I want it now.

Last edited by a moderator:
I use one of those lasers that go in the end of the barrel when I check mine as the neighbour would object to a pattern plate!

I know that it only gives a clue about where the shot goes when you mount but it is useful - straight away it is very obvious that your gun mount has to be the same each time or the red dot that appears on our garden fence can move all over the place. In fact it's a very good tool to use when practicing your mount.

I rarely move my comb but when your score averages drop it's good to check

Thanks.

I have ordered one of those lasers to use at home. It will be handy for practicing my mount.

I use a Bushnell - it comes with plastic adaptors that fit several bore sizes - they spread when the body of the bore sighter is twisted in the barrel.

It sits pretty true in the bore too - look through the second barrel and you'll see the red dot displayed in the centre of the image through the barrel.

Yep - I use the arrow laser shot as well - my review is here : http://shootclay.co.uk/2011/07/11/review-arrow-laser-shot-lasershot-mk-2/

3 times a week, 15 or 20 minutes drymount practice at home has really helped build up the muscle memory for a good solid mount.

So if the shot is too far left, you move the comb to the right.
As you now know it's the opposite. There's an old rule of thumb that if the POI is 1" out at 16yds the comb needs 1/8" adjustment in the same direction.

especially the bottom barrel
This can be caused by canting the gun slightly. In other words the barrels not aligned vertically.

Back