ABT - Without having to ref for yourselves.

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re. refereeing/scoring, I have never understood why this has been thought necssary for ABT. OT. & UT. but not for DTL. Sporting, Skeet etc. Owing to suffering badly from the cold I try to avoid (especially in winter) any shoot where self ref./scoring is in operation, the same goes for shoots where the stands are uncovered.With the very high entry fees charged, there is no excuse for self scoring to be used at any major national and international trap events.These are only my own opinions but I think more shooters would take part in these disciplines if self refereeing/scoring was done away with. They tried to bring it in for skeet shoots but it was soon shown the door,  why can't we do the same in trap events?. /wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-confused.gif/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-confused.gif/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-confused.gif     

Self scoring is just horrible no matter what discipline.Grounds will argue it kepps their costs down but come on we all know that we are not getting competent referees who are qualified all of the time at registered events. maybe they even lose customers because of it? Who knows?Most do the refereeing for the love of it (God knows why and they need a medal for that) and the pay is hardly why they do it.Then you have the young kids who need that extra bit of pocket money and do it as a weekend job. Nothing wrong with that, all though it has caused problems in the past and is open for discussion.I wouldn't be over excited with having to wait after I have shot to score the next squad. when I shot DTL at Bisley when it was the old clubhouse before the changes I use to hate doing it!One of the the reasons I stopped shooting the county trap events years back is because it is very daunting turning up to a trap event and being required to do that whilst you are not a seasoned regular in the discipline you ake up and think do i really want to go along and do that??? No thanks. Doing half the work for the ground does not really appeal to me! Therefore great idea from the original post will definitely make more people willing to try. Glen.

Les Graham said:

Julesy said:

Ever thought of trying out ABT but have been out off because you have to referee?
 Come to the East Midlands ABT Regional Championship at Nottingham & District Gun Club on Sunday 4th March, the ground will provide the referees so all you have to do is shoot. Entries are 9.30am - 10.30 am, call to book on 01623 883798 Hope to see some of you. Julia
:)  Sorry if I'm ignorant here but what does that mean??????????
 Which bit, Les? The referring part?

I believe that ABT was governed by the ISSF which is why self refereeing takes place at this discipline, when the CPSA took it over the rules were never changed. (If that is not right though please correct me /wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-smile.gif). The reason the East Midlands Committee have asked permission from the CPSA is because it is our intention to only use one referee for the ABT as we do in an All Round. Our referees are very experienced as they mark competitions every single weekend. We have a number of dedicated and qualified refs who make impartial decisions because they do not take part in the competitions. I would love to say that our layouts are covered but unfortunately they are not - we normally get decent weather in March though if that helps! This probably should go in the trap section of the forum too but I wanted to reach a wider audience as we are trying to attract new shooters to the discipline. I think that answers everyone's questions but if you have anything else just let me know. CheersJulia /wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-laugh.gif

Good luck with it Julia. I'm sure it will be a hit. I'd prefer a ref at ABT that's for sure.

Southern Counties uses qualified FITASC referees but they have insufficient experience of the discipline. One told me I could take a target again but if I had another no bird it would be lost. When a gun has a misfire you don't wave them to open the gun – you check if the shooter has loaded.What is scary is an Irishman refereeing and a Scotsman on the board – no quarter is given. I've been there.The ABT selection shoot in August at Nottingham, can Julia tell the refereeing plans for that.It has been said many times that it is strange to have OT, UT, ABT so alike as Trap disciplines when ABT should be a halfway house from DTL to UT and OT. To encourage people it would seem better to throw the target only 65yds than to start scoring it like DTL. People like to hit targets.This scoring suggestion is always put forward by predominantly DTL grounds ie Fauxdegla, A6 GC in my region and never by Trench grounds but I accept the need to encourage newcomers and move ABT in the direction of DTL.

Last edited by a moderator:
The ABT Selection Shoot on 11th & 12th Aug will follow the current refereeing practices of using 3 refs from the squad before and all squads will be drawn out of the hat as normal. It is only the 2 East Midlands shoots that will have one ref - The Regional Championship on 4th March and the Intercounties on Aug 5th. Hope that helps  /wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-laugh.gif

Thanks Julesy, I particularly understand your concern over the Intercounties. A6 used to use single referees before they closed, Fauxdegla still do, Ranton use 3.

Hi Julesy, like ABT but hopeing to concetrate on UT this season, if no clash of dates will try to make Nottingham in march and brave the elements!. are entries limited to number/date?.  50 Reg. ABT at ranton (near Stafford) on 5th.Feb. nice friendly little club for anyone who has not shot there, my exception to refereeing and shooting without cover!!.   

Hi Alan, It would be great to see you :)  Entries are between 9.30 and 10.30, you can ring to book a place even if it is the day before or on your way to the ground. If you'd prefer not to book just make sure you are with us before 10.30 am. We have never had a problem accommodating numbers on this shoot before so no restrictions. It is 100 registered. We are still shooting it in waves so you will only be out in the elements for 20 mins at a time then you can toast yourself in front of the fire till it's time to shoot again. Hope all that helps and fingers crossed we wil see you in March. Cheers, Julesy 

This event is on Sunday, so if you would like to book a slot give us a call on 01623 883798

Thanks

Julia :)

Back