ABT, UT, OT shooters.. what do you 'see'....?

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeap on any trap.

You shoot break gun and re-load.

Perfectly normal and no problem.

Only time you take cartridges out is when walking from 5 to 1.
It's kind of similar to Compak in that sense then, I've been on a few where shooters tend to load and wait but change stations with an empty gun.

It's kind of similar to Compak in that sense then, I've been on a few where shooters tend to load and wait but change stations with an empty gun.
Sounds daft, but the cages make it more dangerous to walk around with cartridges in, as they offer more opportunities to tangle / catch / knock the gun. Never mind the act of balancing the gun on the front bar, which helped shoot that blokes foot a while back.

Sounds daft, but the cages make it more dangerous to walk around with cartridges in, as they offer more opportunities to tangle / catch / knock the gun. Never mind the act of balancing the gun on the front bar, which helped shoot that blokes foot a while back.
I agree, there's a minuscule element of danger you really can't avoid without making it compulsory NOT to load shells unless ready to shoot within seconds. One of the participants loads and then places gun on his shoulder, in my view that's not best practice.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nope nothing like Compak.

This is a trap thread......no cages to walk round.....no safety issues....

Hope this helps.

Think that you are Clever got lost ? :smile:

Before it goes off line on safety......maybe you would like to first put any worries that you may have ....or come up with...to the ISSF + FITASC technical committees.

Us trappistaaaaaaas are happy with the loading just how it is ......but thank you for your helpful observations :smile:

It is just like Compak in the sense that you load prior to actually being ready to shoot. If you think being protective of your Trap thread and your tone is OK then get ready to be corrected when you yourself post non relevant stuff on other threads.

As Nic says, a lot of trap shooters load up before they move station. Can't say I agree with it myself and I always unload before walking between all stations, even if I've only fired one shot......which is rare!!

The new rules were revised to require all guns to be unloaded between all stands but that was subsequently dropped?

DT

Oooooh knickers and thong all twisted.

Look Hampster.....in all disciplines....you load the gun before you shoot.

I simply said that trap is nothing like Compak.

Trap....is....nothing.....like.....Compak

There I typed it slowly that time.. :smile:

We do not have cages, we do not have traps all over the field, 'we' have mostly got covers over our heads and we only shoot complicated technical targets that go away from us.

This also is not 'my' trap thread.

I am not sure what threat is that you are issuing necessitating me to 'get ready'...?

So ....I don't suppose now then.......that you will be giving me your proxy to carry for you at the AGM. :laugh:

Do we really need this on threads that are meant to be informative???

As Nic says, a lot of trap shooters load up before they move station. Can't say I agree with it myself and I always unload before walking between all stations, even if I've only fired one shot......which is rare!!

The new rules were revised to require all guns to be unloaded between all stands but that was subsequently dropped?

DT
I do the same as you, always have! I was taught never to have shells in a gun if you walk. It just stuck with me!!!

I do the same as you, always have! I was taught never to have shells in a gun if you walk. It just stuck with me!!!
I have seen a big telling off for somebody doing it on a skeet range; which is kinda like a trap line with a curve? HUGE tin hat on..

only need to unload when walking from 5 to 1. never seen any incidents in nearly 30 yrs so i think we can say that there is no safety issues relating to loading between pegs 1 to 5.

i might be dreaming this but i seem to remember them trying this empty gun between all pegs in early 90s ish but didnt last long. was this a dream or can anyone else remember that ?

only need to unload when walking from 5 to 1. never seen any incidents in nearly 30 yrs so i think we can say that there is no safety issues relating to loading between pegs 1 to 5.

i might be dreaming this but i seem to remember them trying this empty gun between all pegs in early 90s ish but didnt last long. was this a dream or can anyone else remember that ?
IIRC it was in the rule book as late as 2009.  I am not sure of that year but not much off.  I recall reading the rule to disbelievers and then they informed me that in the 2012 (2011??) book the rule had been changed.  A flaunted and unenforced rule that made everyone look good if nothing else, and pragmatically hindered no one,  was sacrificed to egos.  JMO if course.

Charlie

At the Shooting grounds here skeet ,trap or whatever you will be only told once to unload the gun before moveing from peg to peg. The second time that someone has to tell you to unload the gun is when they show you the exit.

Kevin.

OK Ian, I think we must have had the same dream mate!

Hey Kevin,

Quick question what happens with you over there when the ISSF World Cup parties come to town.

What do they do then because the ISSF rules are the ones followed, (like in London with the glasses issue), do they suspend your rule?

Is your rule a 'club rule' or a national governing body rule?

I doubt that there is anyone on the circuit that will alter their set up routine between shots by only loading when on the peg. 

I must have a look at the Munich videos when i get a minute.

Hi Nicola,

i don´t know where the rule comes from but i have spoken to 3 workmates who shoot at different clubs and they all have the same rule.

A bloke who shoots at the same club that i shoot at, has also taken part at larger county competitions, also said the same .

(He was the one that warned me when i first started shooting last may)

What they do in other parts of Germany or at national comps. i´ve no idea...... when i see someone on saturday who has shot at german championship etc then i´ll ask what the do there.

Kevin.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks.

I suspect it will be like us here. All under our own rules until a real world cup event comes to town....then they default to ISSF or FITASC international rules.

Back