.22 RF subsonic

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MartynB

It’s years since I had a rifle , but for this year I’m back in the fold . Yesterday I took out my new acquisition and set up some targets down the field to try different ammunition . 

brand one : Eley Subsonic 38gn hollow point  1040 fps

brand two:

CCI  Subsonic 40 gn segmented hollow point 1070 fps

so given the same gun , the same moderator, and ( to my mind ) bullets and ballistics within a gnats whisker  of each other , does the CCI produce a significantly greater muzzle report ?

After testing each . I put one magazine through with the rounds mixed and it was so  obvious . The CCI also , IMHO , slapped  harder into the hillside i was using as a backstop for the target .

any of you guys gurus on such matters ? 

Can't say about the hollow points as I only shoot .22 Target rifle, even without a moderator there's not that much noise from our Target ammo, 40gn subsonic with all ammo.

The only crack I get is with the first round through a clean barrel, after that not much at all. What barrel length is your rifle, as I had a short barrel Anschutz and the noise from that was quite louder than the standard barrel using the same ammo, do you have access to a chrono to check the bullet speed.

Last edited by a moderator:
It’s 16” barrel with a stubby moderator .  I need to do quiet here  . The CCI rounds aren’t going supersonic  , as there is not the reflected “ crack “ from the floor , ( I’ve tried  up to 125 yards just to see  and I tried a handful of CCI stingers which do “ crack “ ) . They are just louder . I fired a couple of magazines of fouling shots before I put the target up as the rifle was second hand but the mod is new .  I can’t chrono the rounds , but I might buy a box from a different batch to see if there is a difference . The Eley are accurate and quiet , but I was interested in the Segmented CCI as apparently the bullet breaks into 3 on impact , so It’s a bit of a safety factor  for ricochets if you miss or the bullet passes though . 

When it comes to rimfire ammo I’ve never consciously paid any attention to how hard any of them hit, the reality is that as a small calibre round even the subs (in any shape or weight variation) are just so devastatingly effective for their intended quarry. Accuracy as always is what gets me interested. I’ve killed crows at good distance with hollow points as well as match type solids, the latter never even made a supersonic crack and oddly enough produced fewer audible ricochete !

I’ve not settled on a single brand of ammo yet . I’m going to buy a selection of subsonics and set up some more zeroing targets ( probably on an indoor range as the weather is awful at the moment  )  . I’m sticking to subs on this gun , mainly as the scope has a bullet drop  reticle calibrated For .22 subs around 1050 FPS and to be fair it’s already there or there abouts I  know that “ match” rounds are indeed subsonic . I was a bit puzzled as to why one round of sub would have more of a pop than another .  I like the idea of the CCI segmenting head , but they are expensive  by comparison at around 17 or 18 pence a pop  v 12 pence for the Eley . 

I used Winchester hollow point subs with my Brno... brilliant ammo and very quiet. Now if you want to hear a noisy round try Blazer's they are, I would say, very noisy but they are not subs so it is not a fault... I never used them again every rabbit in the county went into hiding after the first shot fired  :mad:  

I spent £15 today to use a 25 yard indoor  club range for a zeroing session . What I found was , 1 ) it’s been twenty odd years since I shot a rifle and I’ve got to stop using the trigger like a shotgun.  2) with the rounds I used today the gun definitely favours one brand in terms of accuracy . 3) those rounds were the Eley ,  when I’d settled down I ended up getting one raggy hole in the 10 ring , that’s seated and using a Harris bipod on the bench . So at least I know that round and rifle is capable , and it’s just the operator that needs consistency 🤣 I’m happy with that as I can get the Eley at £11.20.  When the winter is over I’ll try the recommended Winchester as well when we set up a range in the field ( mud quagmire permitting ) . 

I suppose each gun is different and maybe also the make of gun. I found that Winchester were good through a Brno, my mate also had a Brno and he used Winchester too. Off a Harris a    50 m I used to get all my ten shot magazine through about a  20mm circle. About the trigger get used to looking through the scope and holding the cross hairs on the center as you are squeezing off the shot. The Brno for example had a terrible trigger and if you just squeezed off the shot it would pull the gun off the target but a bit of practice and every shot is a dead un. Miss that wee rifle but try finding a rabbit in SW France... so it was sold !

I spent £15 today to use a 25 yard indoor  club range for a zeroing session . What I found was , 1 ) it’s been twenty odd years since I shot a rifle and I’ve got to stop using the trigger like a shotgun.  2) with the rounds I used today the gun definitely favours one brand in terms of accuracy . 3) those rounds were the Eley ,  when I’d settled down I ended up getting one raggy hole in the 10 ring , that’s seated and using a Harris bipod on the bench . So at least I know that round and rifle is capable , and it’s just the operator that needs consistency 🤣 I’m happy with that as I can get the Eley at £11.20.  When the winter is over I’ll try the recommended Winchester as well when we set up a range in the field ( mud quagmire permitting ) . 

I always found eley subs the most accurate through my sako but they tended to pass through a rabbit and it could make it back to its burrow. 

What, with no head ? 
With my Brno anything out to about 75m was on the table on Sunday for dinner. You can buy rabbit down here... farmed white fleshed, tasteless and quite expensive... no give me a nice pink fleshed  rabbit for a casserole or a young pan fryer which I would also tandoori... oh happy days!

It was just pest control. We didn't even pick them up 
I can understand pest control BUT I never shot what was not going to be scoffed when it came to rabbits, if I shot three in the first ten minutes that was me done for the day/night. 

All edible pests go in the freezer, rabbits especially, to leave shot game on the round without the decently to collect it is poor practice at best.

I put 42g Winchester subs through my 10/22 as no other subs cycle reliably, group reliably at 1 inch at 50 yards, anything much further is HMR time 

Always used Eley subs in my BRNO/CZ452. Very quiet and extremely accurate, but I limit my shooting to 50m. Consistently good grouping.

Had a brief try out with Winchester subs a few years ago after the local gamekeeper was raving about them, but found i got at least one in ten flyers.

Eley 38 gn Subsonic  25 yards indoor zeroing session , 5 shots shooting off a bipod . I reckon the ammunition / gun combo is only limited by me ( CZ455 varmint barrel )    The scope is a relatively inexpensive Hawke ( £125 )  , with a bullet drop compensator reticle calibrated for a typical Subsonic round . A few clicks up and I was on target outside in the field at 50 . I’ve no doubt in that there is enough energy at 100 yards ( 78 ft:lb ) to cleanly despatch anything hit correctly.  I’ve got a nice app on my phone that shows the recalibration of the reticle at different magnifications , 

I’m going to put some volume through this gun and improve my general rifle shooting before I splurge the cash on the other 2 acquisitions on my ticket 😂 . 

467DB84B-9162-4378-9252-B84B0D813623.jpeg

Back