20 Gauge Cartridge Choice

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vinehall

I've just purchased a 20g Silver Pigeon for my wife and, for myself if I'm honest, to play about with on clays. Having used it on game with great success.

I have tried Hull 21gram Super Twenty carts which didn't seem to recycle the gun on a regular basis but broke the targets okay when the gun was pulled tight into the shoulder.

I don't really want to loosen it up but was wondering if anyone had any observations about the recycling issue and an alternative cartridge choice. For my wife's sake I want to stick with 21 grammars if possible.

Thanks people,

Vinehall

Get the trigger issue sorted. I had to do this on a Beretta sxs same issue. If it's a brand new gun, then have a moan to the dealer.

Eley Amber 21G.

My wife used to use these and now my daughter uses them in her semi.

Noticeably faster and harder hitting than lots of others out there, and no more recoil - very impressed

They always cycle her semi auto and an old Beretta she started with - everything else seems to jam

Pete

Although I am not a lover of Eley cartridges, I was left with no option but to get 250 of the CT 21 gram. I have used 100 through my Beretta 20 without any problems so far.

Thanks everyone.

I have since learnt that the fibre carts I was using from Hull are "ultra low recoil". I will get some of the "Amber " carts for my wife and try some 24gram plastics for myself and see if that does the trick.

If you are just using the cartridges for clays, you may find the Eley CT range are reasonably cheap and do the job very well. The ground where I have done a lot of Instruction, supplied them . I used them through a Yildiz 20 bore O/U at 6lbs 4ozs. and my Beretta silver pig. at 6lbs 3ozs. I still use the 21 gram for Ladies and youngsters and I have used the 28 gram for clays, myself. I have not had any gun malfunctions or recoil issues at all.

Cheers Westley, it recycled the 28gs with no problem and while I was shooting the 21s it sporadically failed to go off. An onlooker advised me to bring the gun in tighter to the shoulder and it cured it. It's not a new gun but still very tight. I will rarely use it with 21gs but I think i will take Will's advice and have the spring loosened off a tad, as i really want to get my wife into it. Thanks for info on Eley CTs. I will try and find them.

I really think that the problem is one of 2 things, either it is a gun malfunction which requires sorting, or it is the trigger not being released fully before trying to fire the second barrel. Either way the gun should be capable of firing ANY shot load cartridge within the proofing range. A good Gunsmith should be able to sort the former, as long as you are sure it is not the latter. No gun should have to be held in a specific manner to have it work correctly, simply because you will be concentrating more on the gun and not the target with obvious results.

P.S.

Have a look at McEvoys of Standish website for a guide price of cartridges.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have been using Armusa 20 gauge cartridges now for around 18months. Currently would not consider any other option as they are the right price and do a great job of breaking the targets IMO.

Latest posts

Back