Can a ground photo copy your shotgun certificate?

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jonny English

I have bumped into a chap that runs a small clay ground local to us that have a section 11. He tried telling me that anyone that shoots at the ground in the future has to bring a photo copy of their certificate to be put in a file for buying cartridges etc, or you can't shoot.

I have several quarms with this?

I very rarely buy cartridges from them and if I do I carry my cert to produce anyway.

Is it legal for them to request or hold a copy of your certificate. Data protection and all, what if that copy of my certificate falls into the wrong hands?

All in all I can't see that it's legal to demand a photocopy of anyone's cert. Request to see it before shooting or buying cartridges fair enough, but not to demand a copy of it for them to keep.

I have bumped into a chap that runs a small clay ground local to us that have a section 11. He tried telling me that anyone that shoots at the ground in the future has to bring a photo copy of their certificate to be put in a file for buying cartridges etc, or you can't shoot.

I have several quarms with this?

I very rarely buy cartridges from them and if I do I carry my cert to produce anyway.

Is it legal for them to request or hold a copy of your certificate. Data protection and all, what if that copy of my certificate falls into the wrong hands?

All in all I can't see that it's legal to demand a photocopy of anyone's cert. Request to see it before shooting or buying cartridges fair enough, but not to demand a copy of it for them to keep.
Seems silly really because quite apart from the issues you bring up, holding a copy of someone's certificate does not mean that they are still in possession of their original necessarily.  I always thought you had to show your original certificate at the time of purchasing the cartridges.

I believe you would be within your rights to refuse but not sure as to whether he then can refuse to allow you to shoot there based purely on that refusal. What happens when his copier breaks down ? 

I wouldn't be happy with this. It has your address on it.. i wouldn't be happy with the thought that unauthorised people could access it and have no control.

What data protection is in place?? 

If none or just verbal ,Def a place to avoid IMO.

Data protection aside ( and which they may not have considered ) it's private property and pretty much the only thing you can do is take your custom elsewhere!

You could of course hide your address behind a piece of paper for the photocopy or insist that it was obliterated on the copy with a permanent marker. All they really need would be a photo and date of validity.

Last edited by a moderator:
I believe you would be within your rights to refuse but not sure as to whether he then can refuse to allow you to shoot there based purely on that refusal. What happens when his copier breaks down ? 
if it his business he can refuse to let you shoot with no reason at all if he so wishes

It is the same as a car hire company or employer photocopying your driving licence so not illegal. They have to keep it securely and only use it for the purposes for which it was initially obtained i.e. buying cartridges from them.

Just cartridges spent a fair bit of time and money on legal advice and all they require is an emailed copy of your certificate to buy cartridges so it must hold some legal precedence in allowing you to buy cartridges.

As has been said it's up to him what hoops  he makes you jump through to shoot regardless of the law.

Had a recent telephone conversation with our Firearms officer, (Gloucestershire) quite insistent that only the original, no photocopies, the reason given was that a certificate can be revoked, the "seller" reliant on a copy would not satisfy our local plod, not saying this is so for all Forces.

As most shooting grounds tend to be a little on the remote side, I would be concerned if the files were left on site, for obvious reasons.

I didn't think it would be technically legal, but as most of you have said if they insist or don't shoot then we will go somewhere else. It doesn't bother me an awful lot but it's the principle of them insisting you do something that can be avoided by just taking a look at your license everytime you go.

They would be more legal if asking people to produce their certificate for viewing on every visit before shooting, which i wouldn't object too, it's just the uncontrolled copy of my certificate that I'm not keen on. 

there are regulations in place around collecting and holding sensitive information, name address and photo etc.

It is the same as a car hire company or employer photocopying your driving licence so not illegal. They have to keep it securely and only use it for the purposes for which it was initially obtained i.e. buying cartridges from them.

Just cartridges spent a fair bit of time and money on legal advice and all they require is an emailed copy of your certificate to buy cartridges so it must hold some legal precedence in allowing you to buy cartridges.

As has been said it's up to him what hoops  he makes you jump through to shoot regardless of the law.
They only require the copy to order them but they state you have to show your SGC when taking delivery from the courier (and an LOA as well if someone else is taking delivery for you). But the one time I used them my wife had it all ready and the courier didn't want to see any of it - said its not his job to security check people. This was a couple of years ago but I'd be surprised if its changed.

I would tell em to stuff off, would not leave my licence either and I bet if you ask your feo they would say the same. Could be wrong of course but that's my opinion

Back