£47, are they kidding?

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jan Powell

Staff member
I've just looked at the entry price of the British Open Skeet. £47! Almost £12 a round! Maybe we're paying for the Colts and Juniors subsidised entry? Whatever it is, it's not the prize fund, it's pathetic.

The CPSA could learn some lessons from Alan Rhone, a cracking atmosphere and decent prizes right down to 10th place in class.

Not many I'd have thought at that price. The Krieghoff Lucky Numbers is £40. That's pricey but at least they have prizes from £1000 downwards.

106 entries so far. 

EO skeet at Nottingham is the same price , 209 entries so far .

Guaranteed prize money ; 

High Gun   £400

Runner up £300

3rd             £200

1st in class   £150

2nd in class  £120

3rd in class   £100

Nearly £2400 prize money

£39.44p entry fee + £7.56p into prize fund

Assuming full entry of 315 shooters

Last edited by a moderator:
I know they wont ,but as it is "our" association , it would be nice if they gave a breakdown of the entry fee ,to show they're not making a lot of money out of it !!. I assume were paying for the prize fund out of the entry fee,........ Hmmmmm compared to the Essex masters £37.50 per 100 targets , what was the prize fund ?? around £20,000 ......makes you think !!!

It allways amazes how individuals can put on great shoots with  a massive turnout of shooters with a huge prize fund ,but "our" CPSA employ all these people with "commercial /business backgrouns ect. ect." that seem to have no concept of how  "good competitions" should be held  perhaps  they should employ some of these individuals to show them how its done !! 

The first time (approx 6 years ago) myself and my son shot our first Major , the British open at Bisley , we were exited and apprehensive at shooting our first "Major" , We were totally underwelmed by the whole event (still nervous shooting though ) we were greeted by ...................A few flags an apple and a bottle of water oh and a badge , no trade stands no real sign (other than the flags) of "our" CPSA .

I know we dont shoot for the money , but  i have been told many times over the last few years  that years ago when there was a gun and money to be won in all classes at the British /English open 5 /6 /700 shooters would shoot these events. Not saying you would have this sort of a turnout these days, but i do think considering the amount of money "we"(cpsa) have in the bank at the end of every year , in any discipline that has more than say 100-150 shooters at the british/english opens the cpsa should put £1000 ie £250 in each class out of "our" funds into the competition  ,my theory being that this would attract more shooters from other disciplines to shoot these events i,e a sporting shooter might think i might not win the British skeet open (i know,i know this has happened a couple of times ) but im a good A ,B,C ,class shooter and for £250 in class i,ll give it a go . If individuals can put together these big /great (and i sure very profitable ) shoots on why cant the CPSA  ?? 

I think your find that only £5 per shooter goes into the prize fund, £3 per shooter goes straight to CPSA, £4 to referee so that leaves £35

Unless of course you decide on Birds Only !!!

Last edited by a moderator:
I cant see this being right Ray that means Nottingham is charging £8.75 a round .........................methinks there is more money going elsewhere ..........................Where are you Jules ??

I cant see this being right Ray that means Nottingham is charging £8.75 a round .........................methinks there is more money going elsewhere ..........................Where are you Jules ??
Well Andre, I'm only going on the contract given to us for the English Open Skeet Doubles event which states quite clearly as above except the referee bit of course.

£5 / shooter, with max 315 entries = £1575 prizemoney. There's a guaranteed prize fund of £2380. Cpsa must be giving  the extra . Who said they don't give the member's anything

If there are sponsors , then the CPSA should be congratulated on finding them to boost the prize fund . Working for it's members , yeaaahh   :)

As you know Ray grounds averagely charge about £22.00 per 100 targets to the comp holders , if this is the case there would in fact be £18.00 per gun going into the prize fund ,then £3.00 to the cpsa and £4.00 for a ref . if this the case then after 132 shooters they would be in profit , take away apple.bottle water and badge !!

I was looking at this today and I was also really surprised at the cost.

I think it is £36 birds only and £46 competition which would indicate £10 per entrant into the prize fund.

I am not at work at the moment so can't check the paperwork but I think the ground gets £28 per entrant.

We normally take £25 per entrant so the additional £3 that we take goes towards the extras that we provide to run a major such as water and fruit but also making sure that facilities are up to scratch and first aid cover has to be provided. We do not set the price, the CPSA does this. Not sure about the £4 for the ref???? We pay our refs out if the ground fees.

Also out if the entry fee is a £3 levy to the CPSA so that leaves £5 per entrant. I do not know what that pays for, the CPSA would have to give a breakdown on that.

What I was surprised to hear though was that there is an admin charge if you want to change your booking, anyone who needs to change their times or still needs to book on please call or email me directly as of Tuesday, I will have all the bookings then and there will be no admin charge (I will make you pay in full though especially if booking for sun or sat)

I hope that is useful info but if anyone needs anything else, you know where I am!!! :D

I was looking at this today and I was also really surprised at the cost.

I think it is £36 birds only and £46 competition which would indicate £10 per entrant into the prize fund.

I am not at work at the moment so can't check the paperwork but I think the ground gets £28 per entrant.

We normally take £25 per entrant so the additional £3 that we take goes towards the extras that we provide to run a major such as water and fruit but also making sure that facilities are up to scratch and first aid cover has to be provided. We do not set the price, the CPSA does this. Not sure about the £4 for the ref???? We pay our refs out if the ground fees.

Also out if the entry fee is a £3 levy to the CPSA so that leaves £5 per entrant. I do not know what that pays for, the CPSA would have to give a breakdown on that.

What I was surprised to hear though was that there is an admin charge if you want to change your booking, anyone who needs to change their times or still needs to book on please call or email me directly as of Tuesday, I will have all the bookings then and there will be no admin charge (I will make you pay in full though especially if booking for sun or sat)

I hope that is useful info but if anyone needs anything else, you know where I am!!! :D
Jules did'nt realise the cpsa dont even supply the water and fruit , on the subject of fruit a change would be nice ,Mangos , strawberries (wild flown in from america of course ) oh ! mangos, prefer caribbean ones not Indian ones  ...............would be nice !!

Latest posts

Back