Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Will Hewland

English Open at AGL

tiptop

Tough, relentless, excellent set of targets.

That said this is the English open and an England selection shoot, so it ain't going to be your usual Sunday affair. Talking to Charlie from AGL after we had shot, he said they had set the course to what they thought but the CPSA wanted it tweaked up a bit, as it was a major competition.

All in all, an enjoyable day out with good company.

You really need a be taking your 'A' game to this one, it is going to show a lot of us that we are not as good as we think we are.

Will Hewland, no good taking your Gatton bottom head to this one.:wink:

Well done to all involved at AGL.

Stew

He doesn't actually. Finally a course layout that is enough to sort out the elite and testing enough for the mortals to learn and improve. Shoot it and enjoy. If not keep your money in your pocket and your negative comments to yourself. 

Will Hewland
4 minutes ago, schmokinn said:

Really surprised to hear all these negatives as Charlie Stewart-Wood director of AGL said in Pull that "targets need to be set for all competitors not just the elite" and that Marc Bonnet the target setter "has a natural ability setting interesting and challenging targets that give confidence to the shooter"

Would appear Charlie talks sh*te then!!

No course setter has ever got it wrong. Shooters are the problem. 🤣 It’s the total opposite of every other business model..

4 minutes ago, tiptop said:

Will Hewland, no good taking your Gatton bottom head to this one.:wink:

Bugger off Martin, cheeky sod. (Wouldn’t be a good idea anyway as I don’t enjoy GB and don’t shoot big scores there). 

All my judgement is reserved until I’ve shot it of course..

tiptop
15 minutes ago, schmokinn said:

Really surprised to hear all these negatives as Charlie Stewart-Wood director of AGL said in Pull that "targets need to be set for all competitors not just the elite" and that Marc Bonnet the target setter "has a natural ability setting interesting and challenging targets that give confidence to the shooter"

Apparently it was the CPSA that wanted it to be stiffened up. 

This is going to be another one of those shoots that will draw negatives from the people that think they can shoot but can't, and will get praise from those who can shoot.

Just go and enjoy the day, if you can't do that get a fishing rod.:smile:

balltrap
17 minutes ago, tiptop said:

Apparently it was the CPSA that wanted it to be stiffened up. 

This is going to be another one of those shoots that will draw negatives from the people that think they can shoot but can't, and will get praise from those who can shoot.

Just go and enjoy the day, if you can't do that get a fishing rod.:smile:

I hope your not implying that fishing is easier 🙄 

donna

It was a good but stiff course, I just personally felt it would have been nice to have seen some of the targets for a second before they dived behind a hedge or into the ground!   A right mixture of targets but after going through the stands, just realised there was no driven and no targets from behind either.  If the wind stays away you will be fine.  Just enjoy the day and try to do your best.

schmokinn
1 hour ago, Will Hewland said:

No course setter has ever got it wrong. Shooters are the problem. 🤣 It’s the total opposite of every other business model..

I will see on Saturday,i have no issue with hard targets as its the same for everyone.

But when i see the highest scoring AAA  shot missing  half the targets on a stand i wonder if they have wandered into the realms of stupidity which on rare occasions happens.

Now i see the suggestion the CPSA had an influence on targets i can be sure the balance will be f***ed!

Will Hewland
39 minutes ago, schmokinn said:

I will see on Saturday,i have no issue with hard targets as its the same for everyone.

But when i see the highest scoring AAA  shot missing  half the targets on a stand i wonder if they have wandered into the realms of stupidity which on rare occasions happens.

Now i see the suggestion the CPSA had an influence on targets i can be sure the balance will be f***ed!

I agree, let’s see. 77% was average AA score on day 1 so it’s definitely a test. It’s all about whether it’s seems a fair one. I’m looking forward to it..

tiptop
1 hour ago, Will Hewland said:

I agree, let’s see. 77% was average AA score on day 1 so it’s definitely a test. It’s all about whether it’s seems a fair one. I’m looking forward to it..

Believe me Will, its a fair ol' test mate. How do you define a fair test? Everyone has to shoot the same targets, it's just how well you can handle them.

Enjoy Will, look forward to your report.👍

chippy

I shot 91 today which around 76% so about 3% below my average so tough but not massively so. And I didn't hit any of the real long clays.

Will Hewland

When I say fair, I just mean that targets are hittable without needing luck from the wind direction, or if you run out of reasonable time and so on.. I’ll report back and hopefully without my tail ridiculously far between my legs. 

chippy

Very little wind today so cannot comment on that. And I shoot very quick so the small gap targets didn't bother me. But several of my mates shoot quite slowly and never had a problem after the first pair on a couple of stands.

FloodDefence

Not shooting it myself so won’t be able to offer a personal opinion but Stuart Rudling having a zero on the card says something to me 😮

Rupert
8 hours ago, tiptop said:

Believe me Will, its a fair ol' test mate. How do you define a fair test? Everyone has to shoot the same targets, it's just how well you can handle them.

Enjoy Will, look forward to your report.👍

Rewind to Kelmarsh.

Doug Pinnegar
13 hours ago, schmokinn said:

I’ve got a lot of time for Charlie so wouldn’t say that. It sounds like the course is firm, as it’s a major. 

Shooters are stepping outside of their comfort zone as you don’t often get whopping targets at shoots these days; they favour closer, ‘technical’, presentations. 

I’m looking forward to shooting it on Saturday, see the targets that are being talked about on Facebook 😎

schmokinn
6 hours ago, Doug Pinnegar said:

I’ve got a lot of time for Charlie so wouldn’t say that. It sounds like the course is firm, as it’s a major. 

Shooters are stepping outside of their comfort zone as you don’t often get whopping targets at shoots these days; they favour closer, ‘technical’, presentations. 

I’m looking forward to shooting it on Saturday, see the targets that are being talked about on Facebook 😎

My statement is about the fact that people make statements that are partially or wholly untrue,there is no way that the course matches this description of it.

Doug Pinnegar

There have been some great shooters out on the course today; it'll be interesting to see what the thoughts are and how the scores stack up.

Will Hewland

Right, I just got home from this one..

I hadn’t shot for a while so sought out the pool shoots, firstly the Eley one, which was pretty steady but glad to straight it using, then winning some Eley Superbs, which were very smooth. Shame about the price..

Second pool shoot I missed a few. It was great, but the three cages were so far apart (compared to STR) that the targets bore no resemblance in each one, which caught me out. Good fun though.

The main event, in full for those that are bored enough to read it. 😆

Stand 1, fairly easy away and crosser, straight.

Stand 2, missed two away loopers in front, a classic problem when I’m rusty. Daft. 

Stand 3, one of the “notorious” stands, with long r-l looper, so I was glad to straight it.

Stand 4, sim high pair, not too tough, straight.

Stand 5, rabbit and tough low crosser, dropped three crossers, deceiving. 

Stand 6, long and close r-l, straight

Stand 7, sim l-r high, straight

Stand 8, close r-l orange and MASSIVE looper. 90 yards? Only hit one of those. The stand Rudling blanked I think..

Stand 9, sim pair, l-r and r-l. Missed two r-l in front.

Stand 10, fast away and long incomer, dropped one.

Stand 11, Very tough! First bird a 60+ yard l-r that slowed and dropped, then a r-l 60 yard battue that never really opened out. Lots of blanks on here scorer said, including the fella in front of me. I missed first pair and though “here we go..”. Had a think and hit last 5 thankfully. 

Stand 12, a pair of sim “teal” which were two clays going straight up and down, looping a bit. This was where my world collapsed and a respectable score disappeared for me. I misread their 30 yard distance and hit 2 ex 8. Ref gave me a try pair at the end, I simply added a bit more gap and munched them. I was sick as a dog at this stage as I had just increased my losses by about 50% on a steady stand. 😤👎🏼💩😓

Stand 13. Rabbit and quartering away. Maybe the second of the two easy stands on the course. Straight.

stand 14. High away and r-l rising crosser, straight.

Stand 15. Platform, slow r-l and fast low l-r. missed first bird out, in front.

So, I finished on 99, which I sorely know should have been 105/106.

My verdict was that it was a superb course. Yes, tougher than a normal registered, but fair game everywhere. OK, I would say it should not have been made at all harder though, bearing in mind the mass audience. Hugely enjoyed it and was mentally shattered at the end. My only criticism was that Stand 11 should not have had two really tough targets.

The winner of this event will deserve the title it brings.

The clubhouse, catering, pool shoots, food, all very good indeed. Well done AGL!

donna

Well done Will, my 2 bad stands were 8 and 9, only hitting 2 on each. Stand 11 I only hit 3 and 12 I shot well with a 6.  I enjoyed the course and felt I could have shot better if not for the wind.  But, it’s funny looking at the results and it seems to be the same stands that are causing all the problems. 

P1Fanatic

I shot this today in the same squad as Will. It was my first major and I was a little apprehensive after reading the comments on here and facebook. But I think it was a good course and about what I expected difficulty wise when I booked on. They ease you in with a couple of straightforward stands. I hit every target except the distant looper on 8 but just lacked consistency and dropped some of the easier stuff. Was happy to get 3 of the fast L-R blaze on 5 as seemed to be catching a few people out. Agree with Will that 11 was toughest as both hard targets but that was the only one.

Finished on 86 which is the average for A class so happy with that as not been shooting well recently.

Getting around the course was a doddle and we had literally no queueing.

I can recommend the calzone pizza for lunch!!

chippy
2 hours ago, Will Hewland said:

Right, I just got home from this one..

I hadn’t shot for a while so sought out the pool shoots, firstly the Eley one, which was pretty steady but glad to straight it using, then winning some Eley Superbs, which were very smooth. Shame about the price..

Second pool shoot I missed a few. It was great, but the three cages were so far apart (compared to STR) that the targets bore no resemblance in each one, which caught me out. Good fun though.

The main event, in full for those that are bored enough to read it. 😆

Stand 1, fairly easy away and crosser, straight.

Stand 2, missed two away loopers in front, a classic problem when I’m rusty. Daft. 

Stand 3, one of the “notorious” stands, with long r-l looper, so I was glad to straight it.

Stand 4, sim high pair, not too tough, straight.

Stand 5, rabbit and tough low crosser, dropped three crossers, deceiving. 

Stand 6, long and close r-l, straight 

Stand 7, sim l-r high, straight

Stand 8, close r-l orange and MASSIVE looper. 90 yards? Only hit one of those. The stand Rudling blanked I think..

Stand 9, sim pair, l-r and r-l. Missed two r-l in front.

Stand 10, fast away and long incomer, dropped one.

Stand 11, Very tough! First bird a 60+ yard l-r that slowed and dropped, then a r-l 60 yard battue that never really opened out. Lots of blanks on here scorer said, including the fella in front of me. I missed first pair and though “here we go..”. Had a think and hit last 5 thankfully. 

Stand 12, a pair of sim “teal” which were two clays going straight up and down, looping a bit. This was where my world collapsed and a respectable score disappeared for me. I misread their 30 yard distance and hit 2 ex 8. Ref gave me a try pair at the end, I simply added a bit more gap and munched them. I was sick as a dog at this stage as I had just increased my losses by about 50% on a steady stand.

Stand 13. Rabbit and quartering away. Maybe the second of the two easy stands on the course. Straight.

stand 14. High away and r-l rising crosser, straight. 

Stand 15. Platform, slow r-l and fast low l-r. missed first bird out, in front.

So, I finished on 99, which I sorely know should have been 105/106.

My verdict was that it was a superb course. Yes, tougher than a normal registered, but fair game everywhere. OK, I would say it should not have been made at all harder though, bearing in mind the mass audience. Hugely enjoyed it and was mentally shattered at the end. My only criticism was that Stand 11 should not have had two really tough targets.

The winner of this event will deserve the title it brings.

The clubhouse, catering, pool shoots, food, all very good indeed. Well done AGL!

Stand 12 was one of two that I straighted. I normally hate crow type clays but because these drifted to the right behind the trees I had to shoot them on the way up.

chippy

apparently it shot a bit harder today in the wind. someone on FB said " there were more casualties there today than the first 10 minutes of saving private ryan"

Will Hewland

Some big names with low scores on Friday. I have to assume the wind wasn’t kind.. It would be nonsense to assume I was actually better than these guys..

MJJ
On 5/10/2018 at 7:41 PM, chippy said:

First bird sailed into the wood, roughly by the second trap, second bird sailed up and the around the corner of the wood - distance 95 yards and god knows where it landed.

schmokinn

I think a huge amount of exaggeration on the targets Looper on 8 and crosser R-L on 11 distant but not impossibly so.

Some people are obviously not great judges of distsnce!

I don't think the description in Pull was fair still.

Very enjoyable apart from the stands in the boxes which rang right through me,would go back again.

I still think the CPSA need to make it more of an event,apart from the "CPSA championship signage" it just really felt like another reg. shoot.