English Open at AGL

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Shot AGL yesterday and got bashed up . I didnt shoot very well and scrambled round but it felt a bit relentless tbh . From stand 2 crow which was getting pushed back in the wind , stand 3 , 4 and 5 blaze getting pushed down making it extremely challenging . I did hit one though . Stand 6 had a midi which was pushed down below the hedge line but should be a straight if not . Stand 8 looper was a challenge , Stand 11 tough . No respite really . I think you need to be bang on it to put your average in round there . I finished 86/120 . I think 90 something was achievable with a fair wind for me . I didnt feel like a good course like Hodnet last year or Perazzi grand prix . Not balanced . Might be me....

Shot it today, my own inability to concentrate for 15 back to back tough stands coupled with at times a lack of skill spoilt my day, managed to find most of the monsters only to drop most of the edgy stuff. I know it shouldnt however we all want to think we have shot / shoot well, for me it didnt happen, Im not alone in that, didnt see very many happy faces post shoot which is a shame. 

Good luck the rest of you

I'm yet to hear anyone say something positive. I think its a course that asks a lot from shooters that don't often shoot presentations like these.

Still, looking forward to shooting it on Saturday.

I'm yet to hear anyone say something positive. I think its a course that asks a lot from shooters that don't often shoot presentations like these.

Still, looking forward to shooting it on Saturday.
Doug, Im not much in a position to comment on the shoot, it is though one of the most “up there” Majors of this year so one expects it to be stiff, a challenge & exceptional, me I just dont have the skills to be able to put a score in such an event hence my 🙁 I would need to seriously improve to say I enjoy such targets, thats not meant to detract from the shoot, its an admittance of inability.

Enjoy saturday

Really surprised to hear all these negatives as Charlie Stewart-Wood director of AGL said in Pull that "targets need to be set for all competitors not just the elite" and that Marc Bonnet the target setter "has a natural ability setting interesting and challenging targets that give confidence to the shooter"

Would appear Charlie talks sh*te then!!

Tough, relentless, excellent set of targets.

That said this is the English open and an England selection shoot, so it ain't going to be your usual Sunday affair. Talking to Charlie from AGL after we had shot, he said they had set the course to what they thought but the CPSA wanted it tweaked up a bit, as it was a major competition.

All in all, an enjoyable day out with good company.

You really need a be taking your 'A' game to this one, it is going to show a lot of us that we are not as good as we think we are.

Will Hewland, no good taking your Gatton bottom head to this one. :wink:

Well done to all involved at AGL.

He doesn't actually. Finally a course layout that is enough to sort out the elite and testing enough for the mortals to learn and improve. Shoot it and enjoy. If not keep your money in your pocket and your negative comments to yourself. 

Really surprised to hear all these negatives as Charlie Stewart-Wood director of AGL said in Pull that "targets need to be set for all competitors not just the elite" and that Marc Bonnet the target setter "has a natural ability setting interesting and challenging targets that give confidence to the shooter"

No course setter has ever got it wrong. Shooters are the problem. 🤣 It’s the total opposite of every other business model..

Will Hewland, no good taking your Gatton bottom head to this one. :wink:
Bugger off Martin, cheeky sod. (Wouldn’t be a good idea anyway as I don’t enjoy GB and don’t shoot big scores there). 

All my judgement is reserved until I’ve shot it of course..

Apparently it was the CPSA that wanted it to be stiffened up. 

This is going to be another one of those shoots that will draw negatives from the people that think they can shoot but can't, and will get praise from those who can shoot.

Just go and enjoy the day, if you can't do that get a fishing rod. :smile:

Apparently it was the CPSA that wanted it to be stiffened up. 

This is going to be another one of those shoots that will draw negatives from the people that think they can shoot but can't, and will get praise from those who can shoot.

Just go and enjoy the day, if you can't do that get a fishing rod. :smile:
I hope your not implying that fishing is easier 🙄 

It was a good but stiff course, I just personally felt it would have been nice to have seen some of the targets for a second before they dived behind a hedge or into the ground!   A right mixture of targets but after going through the stands, just realised there was no driven and no targets from behind either.  If the wind stays away you will be fine.  Just enjoy the day and try to do your best.

No course setter has ever got it wrong. Shooters are the problem. 🤣 It’s the total opposite of every other business model..
I will see on Saturday,i have no issue with hard targets as its the same for everyone.

But when i see the highest scoring AAA  shot missing  half the targets on a stand i wonder if they have wandered into the realms of stupidity which on rare occasions happens.

Now i see the suggestion the CPSA had an influence on targets i can be sure the balance will be f***ed!

Last edited by a moderator:
I will see on Saturday,i have no issue with hard targets as its the same for everyone.

But when i see the highest scoring AAA  shot missing  half the targets on a stand i wonder if they have wandered into the realms of stupidity which on rare occasions happens.

Now i see the suggestion the CPSA had an influence on targets i can be sure the balance will be f***ed!
I agree, let’s see. 77% was average AA score on day 1 so it’s definitely a test. It’s all about whether it’s seems a fair one. I’m looking forward to it..

I agree, let’s see. 77% was average AA score on day 1 so it’s definitely a test. It’s all about whether it’s seems a fair one. I’m looking forward to it..
Believe me Will, its a fair ol' test mate. How do you define a fair test? Everyone has to shoot the same targets, it's just how well you can handle them.

Enjoy Will, look forward to your report.👍

When I say fair, I just mean that targets are hittable without needing luck from the wind direction, or if you run out of reasonable time and so on.. I’ll report back and hopefully without my tail ridiculously far between my legs. 

Very little wind today so cannot comment on that. And I shoot very quick so the small gap targets didn't bother me. But several of my mates shoot quite slowly and never had a problem after the first pair on a couple of stands.

Not shooting it myself so won’t be able to offer a personal opinion but Stuart Rudling having a zero on the card says something to me 😮

Believe me Will, its a fair ol' test mate. How do you define a fair test? Everyone has to shoot the same targets, it's just how well you can handle them.

Enjoy Will, look forward to your report.👍
Rewind to Kelmarsh.

Latest posts

Back