do you wear glasses ?

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

danq

hi all

read a letter in a gun mag (think it was sporting gun) a chap was missing some targets over the top by a mile and couldn't work out why. he happened to mention this to his optician who said the problem could be due to his varifocal lenses in his glasses and suggested a pair of single lenses for distance only.said he tried them and they made a difference to his scores. I had the same problem so I got a pair of glasses off the internet for £9-99 tried them and they have improved my scores too.  just thought I would let you all know. 

I got contact lenses in single focus. First time I'd tried them in about 35 years ( previous experience with hard glass lenses was over in an hour or two ) and found them to be great for shooting.

Only problem is after wearing glasses for 50 years I feel totally exposed without them! :)  But may try them again!

Last edited by a moderator:
There's a reason why the phrase 'See better, shoot better' is used by our sports leading optometrist, Ed Lyons. 

Now you've proven that they will help your scores I would suggest investing in a proper pair of prescription glasses. I'm guessing the £9.99 glasses are not going to offer much in the way of ballistic protection. 

Give Ed a shout and investigate your options. There're a fair few happy customers of his on this site  :D

I couldn’t even walk straight in varifocals. Total work of the devil, like strapping two kaleidoscopes to my eyes. Shooting in them would be preposterous. Yes, you definitely need single vision distance prescription lenses in a suitable frame, ideally proper shooting ones. I have 540 frame Pillas which tick a lot of boxes for me.

Pillas are quite beyond my means but I'd not be without the Decots (single vision absolutely) that I gotten new lenses for several times over the years to accommodate my changing vision requirements.

I have the Rangers with inserts, so all I need to change when my eyesight alters is the insert, not the coloured lenses etc which saves an absolute fortune.  I do have my inserts as bifocals which I have in my everyday glasses so it’s not a problem for me but was advised not to even attempt the varifocals!!

Give Ed a shout and investigate your options. There're a fair few happy customers of his on this site  :D
By all means. Prescripted by doctor on November last year - a couple of personal mesagges with Ed and lenses arrived today - without even meeting Ed in person, everything fell into place :cool: .

P.S. Frame was mine, Ed provided lenses only.

20180110_165816.jpg

By all means. Prescripted by doctor on November last year - a couple of personal mesagges with Ed and lenses arrived today - without even meeting Ed in person, everything fell into place :cool: .

P.S. Frame was mine, Ed provided lenses only.

View attachment 6989
A cautionary note though.  Tony had his eyes checked prescription then turned into inserts from Ed (without seeing Ed) - Tony didn't get on with inserts so decided it was time to seen Ed and have the proper glasses from Ed which he thought was a brilliant experience by the way and just as well as the original prescription turned out to be wrong.  Ed sorted him out and now he is very happy with his glasses, can see and is less tired from straining his eyes.

Spot on Sian - after I was checked first time I went and got a second oppinion from a different optician.

Yes 

I used Ed Lyons 

The test is the most thorough I have had and from that Ed has worked hard to get me the solutions to aid me in situations that I come accross

I now use the Pilla Sport range and have 5 sets of lenses for all eventualities.  

I got contact lenses in single focus. First time I'd tried them in about 35 years ( previous experience with hard glass lenses was over in an hour or two ) and found them to be great for shooting.

Only problem is after wearing glasses for 50 years I feel totally exposed without them! :)  But may try them again!
yes I wear spectacles but I shoot in daily disposable contact lenses    ,   single vision  distance only , have done for quite a while , I have astigmatism  but could not get on with torric  lens . I like contacts because you can wear any tinted glasses with them !   

Hey, Sunglasses are the accessories essential to wear while shooting, as it protects your eyes from harmful rays also from injuries occur during shooting. Recently, I had purchased prescription wholesale sunglasses for my father, As my father is gun shooter.

Hey, Sunglasses are the accessories essential to wear while shooting, as it protects your eyes from harmful rays also from injuries occur during shooting. Recently, I had purchased prescription wholesale sunglasses for my father, As my father is gun shooter.
No point having just sun glasses if they may shatter on impact and damage the eye,they need to be safety/shooting glasses....seen some rather nasty images from the wrong glasses being worn!

broken-ray-ban-sunglasses.jpg

And these are apparently cheap shooting glasses damaged by an airsoft bb

blogger-image--1820051411.jpg

I sometimes wear high street glasses which I'm told are shatterproof.. But "Sunglasses" are usually too dark and you don't see the clay well enough against trees etc.. A mistake I made early days. Now, I wear the lightest lenses I can without squinting.

No point having just sun glasses if they may shatter on impact and damage the eye,they need to be safety/shooting glasses

No point having just sun glasses if they may shatter on impact and damage the eye,they need to be safety/shooting glasses....seen some rather nasty images from the wrong glasses being worn!

broken-ray-ban-sunglasses.jpg
Made a bit of a mess of the thumbnail too !

Latest posts

Back