shot size

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jwpzx9r

Ok so I use Italian size 7.5 to shoot OT and UT at the moment but these sizes are slightly different than English 7.5 so what do people use back in the UK ? Is it worth the effort of getting Italian size 8 for the first tube? Does it even make a any difference ? I have seen some shooting the size 8 in the first barrel but need to know what the experienced trap shooters on here think. I tend to think if you are on the target you will break it ... but the same applies with 24g loads for UT very few use them here but if you are on the target...

John, why you always gotta be startin' posts like these?

IIRC Italian and US sizes are the same.  I know people that use 8's for both barrels.  I know people that shoot pigeons with 8's in both barrels.  Lotsa people shot 8's at ZZ's.  For me I shoot 8's a lot cuz there're more of them in any given load and I feel like I'm getting more for my money and don't you dare laugh.  But that is just for fun.  Back when it counted I never shot anything that was worth $ with anything but 7.5's.  But that was just being a pussy, 8's will do the job.

and using one size for the first bbl and another for the 2nd is just too complicated for me

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Charlie... the enquiring mind and the thought that I might just increase my odds of busting the bassa with the slightly smaller and lighter but, as you say, more numerous pellets in the load :)   You see I get on great with the ones I hammer right in the centre of the pattern its those pesky near misses that get my goat and anything that hints at eliminating those gets my attention. No what is really odd though? I can buy Clever 28g T2 in size 8 but the 24g... nope 7.5 only ?? What prompted the question though really was the fact that I am about to order a batch of cartridges and thought is it worth the bother doing an experiment or easier to ask the question. You seem to be saying hell of course 8's will do the job only to recoil and say that when your neck or wallet is on the line you would use 7.5's . You know I think I am going to buy 250 of the 8's and do the experiment... but could I really get a significant result with only 250... maybe 500 or 750 and what about placebo. Nope! Come on you know as well as I do the only way to do this is a full blown double blind test over ten thousand of each size :)   still might buy a slab though

As you can imagine, many generations of shotgunners have asked the same questions. You should start by reading Bob Brister "Shotgunning: The Art and the Science"

Brister is excellent!

The 7.5's for me were/are nothing more than a head game and I've used 8's a lot on clay and pigeons.  Not knowing how hard to break your targets are I can't guess about 8's in the 2nd barrel but with a reasonably fast 2nd I'd bet $ they'll work just fine.  I know I can break ATA kinda targets at just really long 2nd barrel from the 27 yd line.  And 2nd barrel ZZ's can be WAY out there +40meters and 8's will do that.

you'll be fine

Beware of the new environmental clays, they do need a good smack. 7's  English , should do them.

7's for me.  Always 7's.  No matter how close they are.......7's.  Except for long targets, and I use 6.5's.  Find what suits and just use them.  Fiocchi for me!  

But then as I said before...."I like Big Balls"!!!!!   :wink:

I watched a very good shot do a Digweed on a midi teal the other day with 7's.  Using 7's he clattered this teal out to 80yds.  I know.....I stepped it out.  Is there a need for 6.5's?????........in my little mixed up clay shooting mind there is......so I will keep a few in my pocket in case!  If it eases the pressure on me......I'll keep doing it!

There is no substitute for being on Target!!!!

Latest posts

Back