Skeet shot size?

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just not true mate. I’ve patterned a lot of cartridges and the trend (not the rule) is that larger shot creates a much smaller diameter. At 15 yards with 1/4 choke a 7 shot pattern is usually around 13” circle while some 9 shots are 22”.

If you think of being off-centre with your shot, only half the difference is on offer, so cartridges will find you just a few inches of error. 
Thats a really surprising observation, I have never pattern tested anything but I had assumed an identical cartridge/choke combination with different shot sizes would provide a similar diameter circle but one would be made up of more pellets, interesting

Thats a really surprising observation, I have never pattern tested anything but I had assumed an identical cartridge/choke combination with different shot sizes would provide a similar diameter circle but one would be made up of more pellets, interesting
It’s important to pattern a shell to be sure, but I’ve NEVER seen a 7 shot spread wider than an 8 shot for instance, which is usually 4” wider at 15 yards. The basic  reason for the increased spread is that more pellets (initially in the same barrel exit space) make more contact with each other and get knocked off course. 

🎣 . Popcorn. 

Just not true mate. I’ve patterned a lot of cartridges and the trend (not the rule) is that larger shot creates a much smaller diameter. At 15 yards with 1/4 choke a 7 shot pattern is usually around 13” circle while some 9 shots are 22”.

If you think of being off-centre with your shot, only half the difference is on offer, so cartridges will find you just a few inches of error. 
Like for like cartridge? Just different  shot size.??? 

I've no doubt it's possible  with a different make and type of cartridge. But really . Like for Like???

Post some pics that show this 9" pattern size difference at 15 yards.   Like for Like. 🙂

Jasper. 

🎣 . Popcorn. 

Like for like cartridge? Just different  shot size.??? 

I've no doubt it's possible  with a different make and type of cartridge. But really . Like for Like???

Post some pics that show this 9" pattern size difference at 15 yards.   Like for Like. 🙂

Jasper. 
I’ve only got a few pictures of like for like but absolutely, yes. Hitting the road for Xmas trip now, will have a look in a few days.  

Didn’t RF win a big skeet shoot a few years back, using 6.5s? Obviously it’s all about where you point the gun. 9 shot simply gives a margin for error, which isn’t needed if you don’t make any errors of course..
Yes full and full with 6.5 shot will break them every time if you are on them - that's why I'd use skeet and skeet with 9 shot

I’ve only got a few pictures of like for like but absolutely, yes. Hitting the road for Xmas trip now, will have a look in a few days.  
I haven’t got photos of same cartridge in different shot sizes. I’ll nick some cartridges and try and pattern this some time soon.

Happy New Year in advance all.

So has anyone had the time to get some pics of the patterns from different shot size or cartridges? 

Back when I was shooting skeet comps. anything larger than 9 shot was disqualification.  Referees' would check empty cases for shot size. I remember a shooter being disqualified when a 7 1/2 shot cartridge found its way into his pocket. You were only allowed to load 1 cartridge for the singles too. When they changed the rules, I was shown the 'yellow' card several times for opening my gun after shooting the first single, it was a hard habit to break  !  I shot a sporting Comp. last week using my favoured 1/4 & 1/4 and some Cheddite 9 1/2's. Anything out to 30 yards was being dusted by them.

Last edited by a moderator:
I shoot some olympic skeet from time to time and the reason of failure is wrong movement, lazy gun mount, lack of speed. Mostly it is a hit or not.

Due to the distances there is not much inbetween

Just one shot per clay, the  clay should bes shot before the middle between high and low house, Otherwise the doubles are too tricky.

The smaller pellets will give you a dense pattern but it is not crucial, in my opinion.

Back