Shooting Trap with a sporter?

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Darkside

Ok guys, I have never shot any of the trap disciplines, never even watched them being shot!?!? What I want to know is can I have a bash at it with my sporter to see if it turns me on or would I be hindering myself so much that it would be a waste of time?

Just think of them as going aways on a sporting layout chap! Worry about changing kit if you decide it excites you. Stranger things have happened....!

If you have a multi-choke gun, then tighten it up a bit, but it you'll be fine with a sporter to have a go.

To be honest I shot DTL this weekend just for fun with my Remington 3200 with the 25'' skeet barrels, cyl choke and 7.5 felt wads, still did a 23 so the answer is yes you can use your sporter although to my mind I would always prefer a trap gun for the international targets. Enjoy and become a 'Trappie'

Phil

Last edited by a moderator:
hi i started trap with a sporter and a 20 bore .!! just to try it out will be fine the only thing you may have to do it make your eye a little higher above the rib it is easier believe me!! but if you go out with a sporter dont be dissappointed because it may involve you covering the clay to hit it as opposed to shooting at it with the clay visible to the barrel.

dtl and definately the trap discipline to start on if your going to have a go.

has the sporter got an adjustable stock ?? if so raise it a little higher than you have it for sporting. I started dtl and got reasonable scores and changed to a trap gun to improve .. only to find my scores decreased as the gun didn't fit properly so i went back to my sporter :cool: if you can hit the clays with it then why change. … just don't think a trap gun with drastically improve your scores cos it won't …. find a gun your happy with for starters then id say have it custom fitted to you for improvement ( again personal pref )

Latest posts

Back