Trap guns

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had been using my old DT10 32'' sporter for trap but I will say straight off that I no longer shoot comps so no pressure but nevertheless That gun was as good at trap shooting as any trap gun I had previously owned. 

Well you’re not the first person to mention that! 
Traditionally trap guns usually had higher and thicker stocks, usually with a thick recoil pad and less drop between heel and comb, tighter chokes, beaver tail forends, longer barrels, and a bit more weight.
These days it seems that a lot of sporters have got heavier, some have beaver tail forends and a lot now have multi chokes and adjustable stocks.

So, things have changed and with so many changeable parts, maybe one day there will no longer be dedicated trap guns as we know them. 
Am I right in thinking that trap guns shoot high? The theory being that you have to shoot low thereby having full visibility of the clay at all times

Last edited by a moderator:
Surely though, any gun with an adjustable comb can be made to shoot high?
Yes you’re right! However trap guns usually have less pitch on the comb and the angle of the but plate is different. Yes on a fully adjustable stock all of these things could be altered. 
The typical sporter often, but not always these days, has a slimmer forend, not usually favoured by trap shooters. 
I have to say that the line between sporters and trap guns has become blurred in many ways. 
The true one gun for everything has been around for some time.                                   I can remember some American shooters who had what they called combos. In reality it was one action with several different barrels and possibly three stocks and maybe two forends. A bit like triggers broom I guess! 😂

Surely though, any gun with an adjustable comb can be made to shoot high?
That wasn't my point and what if it has a fixed stock?, I'm sure that (back in the day at least) trap guns were set up to shoot high, the idea being that you aim under the target and can see it at all times rather than blotting it out with the bead or barrels. I was wondering if (a trap shooter) can say if this is still the case?

That wasn't my point and what if it has a fixed stock?, I'm sure that (back in the day at least) trap guns were set up to shoot high, the idea being that you aim under the target and can see it at all times rather than blotting it out with the bead or barrels. I was wondering if (a trap shooter) can say if this is still the case?
Well to try to answer your question. I’ve been a trap shooter since the mid 80’s. 
The first thing to remember is that yes, most trap shooters will use a gun that shoots high. How high? That will vary from person to person. I don’t know about now, but DTL shooters often shot higher stocks than guys who shot the fast stuff. The fast disciplines have some pretty low targets and a gun that shoots massively high may not be favourable on such targets. Personally I found guns that shot very high were a nightmare, even for DTL, not that I’ve shot much DTL in the last twenty odd years.

I have met some OT shooters that shot really flat shooting guns, whilst some others shoot really high shooting guns. It’s all down to the individual. 

Well to try to answer your question. I’ve been a trap shooter since the mid 80’s. 
The first thing to remember is that yes, most trap shooters will use a gun that shoots high. How high? That will vary from person to person. I don’t know about now, but DTL shooters often shot higher stocks than guys who shot the fast stuff. The fast disciplines have some pretty low targets and a gun that shoots massively high may not be favourable on such targets. Personally I found guns that shot very high were a nightmare, even for DTL, not that I’ve shot much DTL in the last twenty odd years.

I have met some OT shooters that shot really flat shooting guns, whilst some others shoot really high shooting guns. It’s all down to the individual. 
Les, interesting point I am far from a trap expert, and only an average shot, but I think you are on to something. I think for DTL guns shooting high seem the preferred norm.  My trap gun has high adjustable rib and adjustable comb . If I set it high it's easy to get it right for DTL. However on fast trap if you get a fast low bird skimming the ground it's usually a miss over the top

I only mentioned it because I did a bit of DTL and ABT in the 70's (at RAF Odiham.) All I had was a Winchester 101XTR Sporter (like most shooters then,) I did alright shooting flat with 3/4 and Full Winchokes but I knew more serious trap shooters had special trap guns that shot high. My main interest was (and still is) sporting so I just plugged away with my Sporter.

Guys, trap shooting has so many theories. I’ve shot with and against guys way above my level. 
Sometimes I even got the better of one or two……..briefly 😂

My last total wipe out was against a lovely young lady trap shooter. She’s now famous. 

We discussed guns, hold points, all the usual stuff. At the end of the day, I could never have shot her gun. 
It’s all down to what works for you. 

Most of us will never make the top ranks, so what? Without us guys at the bottom, there can be nobody at the top. 

I had OT lessons from one of our top OT shooters, yeah back in the day. He made me realise that not everyone can be the best. Just get out there and enjoy it. 

Sorry for the philosophy guys. 

I will get my coat……..😂

Last edited by a moderator:
Guys, trap shooting has so many theories. I’ve shot with and against guys way above my level. 
Sometimes I even got the better of one or two……..briefly 😂

My last total wipe out was against a lovely young lady trap shooter. She’s now famous. 

We discussed guns, hold points, all the usual stuff. At the end of the day, I could never have shot her gun. 
It’s all down to what works for you. 

Most of us will never make the top ranks, so what? Without us guys at the bottom, there can be nobody at the top. 

I had OT lessons from one of our top OT shooters, yeah back in the day. He made me realise that not everyone can be the best. Just get out there and enjoy it. 

Sorry for the philosophy guys. 

I will get my coat……..😂
Wait for me Les, I'll come with you. 😄

Les, interesting point I am far from a trap expert, and only an average shot, but I think you are on to something. I think for DTL guns shooting high seem the preferred norm.  My trap gun has high adjustable rib and adjustable comb . If I set it high it's easy to get it right for DTL. However on fast trap if you get a fast low bird skimming the ground it's usually a miss over the top
I used to shoot at an American air base many years ago. They had skeet , DTL , ATA trap and what they called wobble trap or bunker trap, we know it as ball trap. 
Anyway, a lot of the yank ATA trap shooters used single barrel trap guns, some with very high ribs and very high stocks. I tried one and I found it way to high for anything.

The gun was a Krieghoff K32, lovely gun, custom woodwork. It was the first K32 I’d ever seen, and the first single barrel trap gun too. 

So I'll drop this into the rest of the sea of pretty much useless comments.  High shooting guns do not work for me and only really work in a very limited environment.  I hear people talk about high shooting first barrels for some things and I have to think that those folks are near god-like to be able to do that.  I have to look right where I want the shot to go.  And I gave everything a good run to evaluate.  For me a POI about 4" above POA is just fine for everything.  Just like every Perazzi bunker gun from the factory.  I'm thinking there must be some rational reason for that, eh?

So I'll drop this into the rest of the sea of pretty much useless comments.  High shooting guns do not work for me and only really work in a very limited environment.  I hear people talk about high shooting first barrels for some things and I have to think that those folks are near god-like to be able to do that.  I have to look right where I want the shot to go.  And I gave everything a good run to evaluate.  For me a POI about 4" above POA is just fine for everything.  Just like every Perazzi bunker gun from the factory.  I'm thinking there must be some rational reason for that, eh?
You know Charlie, there are probably as many theories on how high trap guns should shoot as there are trap shooters ! 😂

Latest posts

Back