WOW

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Don’t worry, the odds are you won’t be shooting too much longer anyway. Cartridge prices are about to go stratospheric. There’s also a looming problem with clay supplies. I spoke to a ground owner today who can’t get his preferred targets as the ingredients required for their manufacture come from Russia. Doubtless other suppliers are having the same problem.

Several years ago I predicted the sport had 10-15 years left. Seems I may have been a little optimistic.
So what would you be prepared to give up to enable you to carry on shooting.ie the internet.mobile phone.beer or wine.fags.sky tv etc.there are lots of things wechave in our daily lives that we managed without for many years quite happily so should be able to again.

So what would you be prepared to give up to enable you to carry on shooting.ie the internet.mobile phone.beer or wine.fags.sky tv etc.there are lots of things wechave in our daily lives that we managed without for many years quite happily so should be able to again.
I don’t drink or smoke so that’s out. Don’t think I could live without Sky TV as I like my football too much. As I said earlier in the thread, it’s the cumulative effect of lots of factors that’ll impact clay shooting’s future viability. Crazy prices are just one.

I’m in the very fortunate position in that I earn an income from the sport so can offset the price rises to some degree. There’s a limit though and I think it would be a terrible shame if the sport becomes solely a pastime of the wealthy.

Local practice grounds will be the ones that may fare better.a couple that i use are £16 per hundred clays this is for skeet.dtl.sportrap and esp.now there are no prizes but its still shooting and to be honest targets are on par with comps.i will shoot the essex masters and maybe a couple of other comps this year not looking to get any prizes.and the locals will keep costs sensible while still shooting each week.

Local practice grounds will be the ones that may fare better.a couple that i use are £16 per hundred clays this is for skeet.dtl.sportrap and esp.now there are no prizes but its still shooting and to be honest targets are on par with comps.i will shoot the essex masters and maybe a couple of other comps this year not looking to get any prizes.and the locals will keep costs sensible while still shooting each week.
"Blimey!"  £16 per 100 clays?!?  Do tell.

Do we need a thread on cheap shoot venues?
Great idea !  Don't know that much about the little once a week/ fortnight grounds. But proper multiple open day grounds in my area Yorkshire. Best 2 for value Rufforth (northern ctc) and hazelbank. Both 26p per clay

Two of us went up to EJ Churchill at Masham yesterday  . Monday is  a lower price  than normal , £0.25 pence per clay . There are some absolutely stunning targets and the ground is immaculate . Refreshingly free from no birds .  There are several 5 stand sport trap setups  which allow even more variation by moving around a target .  There were plenty of people shooting , and not all of the “ Blowing the family’s inheritance”  persuasion like me ! .  It’s worth every penny just to shoot some of the big targets : high driven  , long high crossers and high curling birds .  I honestly think you’d enjoy a trip there . From Emley it took me an hour so it’s not a silly journey either . I think from after Easter , the Monday will be late opening as well , up to 8pm

Last edited by a moderator:
Two of us went up to EJ Churchill at Masham yesterday  . Monday is  a lower price  than normal , £0.25 pence per clay . There are some absolutely stunning targets and the ground is immaculate . Refreshingly free from no birds .  There are several 5 stand sport trap setups  which allow even more variation by moving around a target .  There were plenty of people shooting , and not all of the “ Blowing the family’s inheritance”  persuasion like me ! .  It’s worth every penny just to shoot some of the big targets : high driven  , long high crossers and high curling birds .  I honestly think you’d enjoy a trip there . From Emley it took me an hour so it’s not a silly journey either . I think from after Easter , the Monday will be late opening as well , up to 8pm
Wish they did low price Monday at the High Wycombe ground, it’s only 3 miles from me!

Back