WOW

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So I say to you the same as someone said to me. Why can't we have 125 clays for £43  then. 🤣😂 

I shot 53 clays on a claymate the other day at 34p a clay. £18.02. Simples. Nobody passed on any extra overheads because I shot less. ?????

Jasper. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Finally here's a thought.  Could we see registered shoots of 50 birds becoming more common.
No, it wouldn’t be worth the competitor travelling the distance. Nor is it worth the grounds effort, particularly as it would split the entry. Half would appreciate the reduced prices, others wouldn’t make the effort for what would amount to around 40 minutes activity.

Rising prices are the principal but certainly not the only reason the sports on its way to oblivion. We’re caught in a perfect storm of increased costs, negative publicity, environmental pressures, an ageing demographic and a governing body that has no real influence.

Enjoy it folks whilst you can, it won’t last forever.

Really popular still out my way, comps very busy, practice also, several youngsters involved (supported by parents) and more krieghoffs than berettas on the circuit, car parks full of £40k plus trucks and rangerovers, we may moan about the price of carts but theres no shortage of money in shooting from my observations currently

Well this is a jolly thread - not!

I’ve just spent £3,000 on an ex-demo Beretta 694 with 32” barrels and an adjustable stock. Absolutely mint condition. I then spent almost £900 on 4,000 cartridges. Then I bought a new gun slip for £30. I’ve started to learn practical shotgun. And I’m off to Jersey next month for a holiday with my newish girlfriend who is also a shooter. 

I’ve had a letter from E-On energy telling me my gas is going up 60% and the electric almost 40%. 30 months ago I was made redundant and took a replacement job with a different company that pays me £65 a week less than my previous employer. 

I’m far from rich, but I’m not married, don’t have kids and have almost paid off my mortgage. I’m very lucky in that respect. My outgoing are moderate. 

I need new carpet throughout my home but would rather spend that £3K on holidays or shooting or whatever. I live within my means and I will keep shooting at straw bailers, recognised clubs and elsewhere as long as I can because I like it, shooting is one of my 4 main hobbies. If that means I don’t get new carpet in the lounge this year then so be it. 

Everyone has different priorities and there is only so much cash, unless you are rich. But I know what I will be spending my spare cash on. 

I don't share Jans rather depressing view. Perhaps trap shooting is in decline and I think the figures back that up but sporting disciplines appear to be thriving.

If we're honest clay shooting is a middle class+ sport. I'm very much working class with a working class wage but due to my circumstances I am able to go shooting fairly regulary but I'm under no illusion that it's a costly hobby which requires disposable income.

Most people with money to spend on shooting will have savings and other areas in their lives which they could make savings on. I don't see numbers declining any time soon.

PM.

Perhaps trap shooting is in decline and I think the figures back that up but sporting disciplines appear to be thriving.
I know I am digressing but as far as grounds are concerned DTL and ABT should be the easiest type of set up to run. Just one trap, no messing around changing the layout and able to accommodate 5/6 shooters at a time. Once up and running must be the most profitable type of layout there is. 

I know I am digressing but as far as grounds are concerned DTL and ABT should be the easiest type of set up to run. Just one trap, no messing around changing the layout and able to accommodate 5/6 shooters at a time. Once up and running must be the most profitable type of layout there is. 
That's why they're in decline!!😴

PM.

That's why they're in decline!!😴

PM.
I’ve not noticed this to be the case. Have you any evidence to support this, I’d be genuinely interested to know?

I’ve not noticed this to be the case. Have you any evidence to support this, I’d be genuinely interested to know?
CPSA's official participation figures published in Pull magazine last year. Sadly I no longer have the issue but I'm sure the CPSA could provide the figures.

From memory English Sporting and Sportrap were well up and Skeet and the Trap disciplines had all declined.

PM.

Sporting is booming everywhere in the South, no question. 186 CPSA entries (plus numerous non CPSA) at Owls Lodge last Saturday for a standard reg shoot. And there are 3-6 reg shoots on per week not far from me with 100+ every time. It’s certainly not a lack of interest that will kill Sporting. 

Are we not missing the point here somewhat  ?

I am thankful that I still have the ability to go and shoot in this FREE Country. I am still able to drive my own vehicle and still able to walk around a 100 bird sporting layout. A lot of my shooting pals are slowly giving up, due to a combination of ill health and can not be doing with all of the hassle of shotgun Certificate renewal. Quite a few are also, no longer with us.

So times are hard and I will probably shoot less, I am just thankful I can still get out shooting. If I wake up in the morning and my elbows are not touching wood............its gonna be a good day    !     🙂 

If I wake up in the morning and my elbows are not touching wood............its gonna be a good day    !     🙂
Great Post . The problem is of course you have to have gone through a lifetime of work and the crap involved with , and life itself in general  to realise the wisdom of your statement .

At the end of the day 99.99% of us don’t earn a living from shooting so at the risk of upsetting people it’s just a hobby  . If the shooting hobby sector prices itself out of existence the world will still  keep on turning . 

Untill then ,  miss a shoot send the money to the Ukraine charities and be thankful it’s not you . Stick a fiver in a McMillan tin or buy a  Marie Curie daffodil and be thankful it’s not you , carry your mate’s gun for  them because  their knees have gone and be thankful etc etc …. 

Ps Westley , I plan to go in wicker not wood 🤩

A1DA14E8-D39F-4C37-BD55-9DB88D424798.jpeg

CPSA's official participation figures published in Pull magazine last year. Sadly I no longer have the issue but I'm sure the CPSA could provide the figures.

From memory English Sporting and Sportrap were well up and Skeet and the Trap disciplines had all declined.

PM.
Funnily enough, I was in a meeting just a few weeks ago with Ian Parker of the CPSA where participation numbers were discussed in detail. Skeet and fast trap have shown an increase in participating numbers. A small increase but an increase nevertheless. DTL had slipped a little and there's a number of reasons for this, not least the popularity of DTL in it's heartlands and not so much elsewhere.

That said, entries for the big ticket DTL events are doing well. So well in fact that an extra wave's been announced at the DTL weekend to accommodate demand. Don't forget too that not all trap and skeet events are managed by the CPSA, there's FEDECAT, ISSF, FITASC, and NSSA, all of whom organise their own events entirely separate from CPSA involvement.

Trap and skeet will never be able to match Sporting for numbers as their niche disciplines that attract a certain kind of competitor. It's a long way from the truth to say they're in decline though.

Sporting is booming everywhere in the South, no question. 186 CPSA entries (plus numerous non CPSA) at Owls Lodge last Saturday for a standard reg shoot. And there are 3-6 reg shoots on per week not far from me with 100+ every time. It’s certainly not a lack of interest that will kill Sporting. 
True enough but price rises in fuel, energy, shells etc are only just happening...... give it 6 months and see how much disposable income people will have then. These prices are only going in one direction and very quickly....

True enough but price rises in fuel, energy, shells etc are only just happening...... give it 6 months and see how much disposable income people will have then. These prices are only going in one direction and very quickly....
Yes agreed, my point was it won’t be INTEREST that is the problem. For sure, costs will bite many. 

20220310_100314.jpgSo, there I am yesterday, about to shoot stand 7 of 10 at the local ground and my phone rings. Now, I am deaf and one of the side effects is you can not hear  ! One of my shooting pals tells me that it is ringing.  I shoot the stand, dropping 3 of the 6 targets ( I was only 2 away until then !)  Come off the stand and look at my phone. It is SWMBO, she is stuck with the car, unable to release the electric handbrake. I suggest that she should ask one of the supermarket staff or ring the AA and I carry on shooting. I phoned her when we had finished and she was now at home, the 'trolley man' had come to her rescue. I get home to find her washing her hair, all I said was "are you sure they are the right products for you "  ?...................That's when the fight started  !  😄

Back