Wot Rotters they are at Eley

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Love suburbs and can honestly say i have never had an issue with them, but couldn't get to my usual supplier 190 a thou and bought 500 Olympics, so many of them were bulged and i had to push them into the chamber. They shoot well but i have never had this problem with suburbs.

Last edited by a moderator:
Still support the Eley brand.
Not had a fault ever.
Thousands and thousands of Olympics and now Olympic Blues at the right money.
I do though agree I could stir up head office.
Clothing sales and web site are a joke.
Stick someone (like me) with some drive in them up there and see the results.

Have to say I ditched Olympics after having a few few hard primers (10 or so in a slab) and swapped to superfast

Scores are up (totally irrelevant to cart choice IMO) but can't see me being tempted back anytime soon

Really sad to be reading this, I used to stick religiously to batch tested Eley Tenex for match shooting with 'Match' for practice and postal comps even when Lapua arrived on the scene at quite a bit less cost.

Do Eley still manufacture all the bit themselves or maybe buy in the primers from a subbie or have the cartridges manufactured by someone else under their label?

too many of these threads popping up speaks volumes!

I wouldn't shoot them if they were free!

too many of these threads popping up speaks volumes!

I wouldn't shoot them if they were free!
Let's be honest now, if they were free?  too bloody right I'd use them. 

Pay for them?  Nah, I'll stick with Hull or Gamebore.

Really sad to be reading this, I used to stick religiously to batch tested Eley Tenex for match shooting with 'Match' for practice and postal comps even when Lapua arrived on the scene at quite a bit less cost.

Do Eley still manufacture all the bit themselves or maybe buy in the primers from a subbie or have the cartridges manufactured by someone else under their label?
Eley match .22 are made by eley still the shotgun carts are eley hawk and owned by a big Spanish manufacturer iirc different companies afaik the rifle and pistol rounds are still top notch

Fingers crossed, never ever had a problem with VIP's decent money for a top end shell, great kills at big distances, not gonna be changing any time soon..............

I've never had any problem with Eley (mainly Olympics) over the last 5 years - Tried the new Olympic Blues for the last couple of weeks and have found that they sometimes don't like to extract (one I had to extract using my car key!)

The 'metalwork' on them seems to be of poorer quality and seems to snag, making them slow to extract and there seems to be witness marks 1/8" below the lip, indicating that they aren't as parallel as they could be.

Having said that, other than sounding a little 'sharper' report wise, they seem to be a good shell and I appear to be hitting at least as many as with the old Olympics. If they don't improve extraction wise, I will be using RC2's instead though. :banned:

Sorry guys but as a staunch Eley supporter we shouldn't really be having these constant reports of bulged cases, open crimps, misshaped steel,poor packaging, lack off powder, primers, shot!

Tomas please get a grip .

A bloke on my squad yesterday had a couple of misfires, he was using Eley. The scorer made a comment that it was about the 700th time he'd seen that happen with those carts, probably an exaggeration but no doubt has seen it happen a few times...

I shoot Olympics as often as I can with no problems ever, I've had the odd miss fire with other brands but I just put them back in again and they work second time around no biggie!  if someone wants to sponsor me with 'the worst shells around' I'd be very happy and I could only hope i could do them justice 

+1

I really do not like this new attitude of slamming cartridge manufacturers.

The simple thing is if anyone does not like a cartridge then don't use it. If you do like a cartridge you should enjoy them. It is getting more and more difficult to say you enjoy a cartridge these days because someone will always come out of the woodwork to slam your choice.

I have posted many times on many threads about liking the many cartridges that i have fired over the years....and talking about the ones that i prefer to shoot....but i have never slammed any manufacturer. We need lots of manufacturers in the game to give people choice. Many brands shoot well in some guns and not in others....so it is all done to find the ones you like and enjoy them no matter what other people think of them.

You spend your money to buy them...so you enjoy the ones that you like.....and don't be put off by other peoples views because you do not always know how good or bad a shot they may be.

Simples.

My understanding is that Eley for the present times no longer manufactures shotshells but has licensed a manufacturer the name. Testing shells and shotshells for over 30 years has shown me that you get what you pay for. Cheaper the shell, the more hiccups one will get. It is worse with shotshells as patterns and speed variances are so much worse!

The proof is in the pudding!

Henry

Agreed i have chrono tested various and can state categorically that from my experience cheaper are less consistent were speed is concerned.

As you say you get what you pay for. Having said that imo there is a limit cost wise were very little difference can be seen. For me this is 200 per k i see little benefit in any cartridge i have shot or patterned or chrono tested that cost more than that.

We had a batch of cartridges at our club that kept misfiring, can't remember what they were but weren't Eley, the remaining cartridges were returned and exchanged. I'd be seriously cheesed off if I was in a comp when it happened though. If it's just one gun or chamber then maybe weak springs aren't helping things.

Which is why some of us batch test at the beginning of the season and then buy 5k or whatever of same batch to see us through the selections. I recently purchased as above but had to reject one slab which was a different batch number.

Latest posts

Back