Winter clothing

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TobyM

Right, as my return to clay shooting started in spring I've no winter gear. I used to have a very toasty-warm Bob Allen quilted shooting jacket but my old landlady threw it out in error - grr! Anyway, I need some sturdy boots preferably with some water resistance for sporting shoots in the mush and damp. Not silly money either. Like walking boots I suppose. Gloves - never shoot with them myself but I've seen ones with the detachable finger. Personally I think I'll just use normal gloves between stands and take them off when ready. Winter shooting jackets; seen the ones by Musto and Top Gun - any good? Other alternatives?

Tobi - take a look at the Toomer Bros shooting jacket on the main site...http://shootclay.co.uk/2011/03.....ng-jacket/I've seen this in the flesh - and it's lovely, great quality and as decent looking on the street as on the SG. More expensive, but I think worth the money. They don't make one big enough for me (although I have pushed for a custom one) - but they'll fit a slim boy like you easy.

I've got the Musto jacket and it's a great bit of kit, windproof and breathable.  I use Decathlon walking boots for most of the year, again windproof & breathable, and good value. When it's very cold & wet, some Musto knee length boots, but they're a bit pricey, they'd better last a long time.

Boots: Cannot understand why anybody wears walking boots. Just get a good pair of neoprene wellies. Massively more practical. Easier to change in/out of, especially to get in to the car to leave. Better in real mud etc. Coat: I have a soft Barber coat which is good, but when I got a Sasta, it knocked it out of the ball park. Half as heavy, half as thick and warmer! Feels like shooting in a sweatshirt, but warm in 0 degrees. Gloves: I thought that it was impossible to shoot in any glove. Then tried Mac wet. Fantastic and actually pretty warm given how thin they are. Perfect feel on the trigger. On really bitter days, I stick some other gloves over them between stands. CSC3

Checked out the Toomer Bros one - looks good, bit more than I had in mind and no apparent LH option. Sasta - can't find a working link to a stockist after 2 pages of bingle. Lost interest! I'll keep it in mind though and try fleaBay. Boots - I'll try the usual suspects, Blacks / Millets / that sort of thing. Ta all.

Sasta at EJ Churchill. Not cheap.. but mine is 5 years old and like new. Has worked out pretty cheap per wear..CSC3

I agree with Bob,the Musto clay shooting jackets are excellent.They come in all sizes and a couple of colours.They also come in lined and unlined.I chose the unlined version because that allows me to add sweatshirts and thermal underwear as required for the weather on the day. Vic.

For me, the most comfortable shooting coat I have is my Swanndri shooting jacket. I think it is the Lewis model, with sleeves.  Warm, windproof, shower proof.  Some sites have them at £150 odd quid, but they are are usually available on fleabay brand new for a fraction of that price.  I paid about 50 I think. I really like Swanndri gear.  Out on the farm I live in one of their over shirts or their mosgiel jacket.  Awesome work gear. I can't wear anything bulky when I shoot.  It puts me right off.

Back