Why trap? (Not taking the p*ss here)

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No one should say that any discipline is easy unless they have already won big in that discipline..
Nic

Just to clarify I didn't say DTL as a discipline was easy, I said that DTL targets are easy (compared to other trap disciplines). Getting the mental 'ducks in a line' to maintain concentration and focus for 100 targets is the hard bit.

DT

Nic

Just to clarify I didn't say DTL as a discipline was easy, I said that DTL targets are easy (compared to other trap disciplines). Getting the mental 'ducks in a line' to maintain concentration and focus for 100 targets is the hard bit.

DT
DT ...I was not referring to you or I would have mentioned your name. :) I was talking in general terms about all disciplines...if you also re-read you will see that I have not actually mentioned a specific discipline. My post refers to all disciplines. When I talk about winning big.....it is again general (and not from a personal point of view) and it is true....because until you have won big you TRULLY do not understand the discipline fully or have experience the difference between being always the bridesmaid and never the bride. By this I also an not counting ordinary registered shoots. I was, what I thought was very clearly stated, talking about the very top of the game (what ever discipline it is) and staying there.....! Which is even harder to do.....and which very few on here will have experienced.

And as I tried to explain.....this sort of experience is a necessary one for 'the tool box'....you cannot use it until you have got it....and until you know how to keep it in 'the tool box'.

I hope this will help explain my very specific point above.....more clearly. As of yet I have not seen it mentioned before on here.

And to make it crystal clear....it refers to all 14 disciplines .....even if it is a trap thread.

xx

Well my friend tis simple tis the same pressure not too miss rather than to hit the target that i refered to earlier but doubled. Single barrel is even harder than dtl in that respect. Have you also noticed that a missed dtl target can easily become 2 or more missed this i believe is due to the shooters mind being unable to accept the first miss on such an easy target top shooters are able to accept the failure of one target and move on without letting there mind obsess over it causing more pressure and lack of focus.

In ESP specifically, what constitutes a proper win? Southdown Masters, Essex Masters, Mitsubishi, Beretta Worlds which is not a real worlds, European title, World title, English/British Open......the list is almost endless. I can think of a few dozen shooters who have won none of these but whose input, expertise and knowledge I value extremely highly, a few even coach at a very high level, surely we can't say they truly don't yet understand their discipline? Again not meant as a confrontation but wanting to understand correctly.

I have to agree with hammy i think experience gives understanding not neccasarily winning majors. perhaps the two of us are not quite understanding your statement correctly.

All disciplines are hard at the top and harder to stay at the top. That is another pressure added to all the rest......when you get there.

Part of the mental game at the top is staying at the top. If a person has never made the top they will have no mental experience of winning 'that' big shoot...what ever it is. Some one who has, will then have that tool in the box and the next....... following problem....... is winning that same top shoot again....what ever it is.

Top shots always want to go higher...and that will always mean a world or a european in their discipline....then they want to repeat it as many times as they can. I am talking about those who have made it to the top....like Digweed, Faulds, Chaplow, Wilson and many many others across the world. Then the mental game is more than anyone else can imagine who has not been there themselves....it is naturally added pressure to repeat the win. It is not comparable in the same way to someone who has won a major or minor domestically. That is not deriding for one minute any domestic titles won....they are all part of the ladder upwards.

I really cannot explain it more than that.

Last edited:
Been reading all the various posts with some people loving trap and some people not loving trap so having never tried any of the trap disciplines decided to give DTL a go today. Got to say I am now a fan, totally different experience than sporting and challenging in different ways - but so addictive!!!!!

Now I've given DTL a go I'm looking forward to trying the other trap disciplines.

Been reading all the various posts with some people loving trap and some people not loving trap so having never tried any of the trap disciplines decided to give DTL a go today. Got to say I am now a fan, totally different experience than sporting and challenging in different ways - but so addictive!!!!!

Now I've given DTL a go I'm looking forward to trying the other trap disciplines.
Brilliant welcome to the Darkside......!!

It's more fun than lurking round in the bushes with your funny shaped forends

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back