Why trap? (Not taking the p*ss here)

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for the advice Les.

The thing that struck me straight away was how light the 32" barrels felt, being a short arse I imagined it would feel cumbersome but it was quite the opposite.

Could you tell me the difference between the MK38 and the 3800?
3800 is older. MK38 has mono block barrels, 3800 has chopper lump barrels. I have had both and I honestly can't say that I've really noticed any difference in the way they handle.  Generally the reason a 32" MK38 can feel "light" is mainly due to the balance of the gun, if it's a standard gun it will not be barrel heavy and will balance on or around the hinge pin. I've had 30" and 32" and for me it makes no difference to be fair. :)

Interesting, thanks. Yes it was a standard MK38 grade1 apart from the trigger had been lightened.

Interesting, thanks. Yes it was a standard MK38 grade1 apart from the trigger had been lightened.
I always have the triggers done on any gun I buy, whether it's a Mirook, Perazzi, Beretta or whatever it is. I never seem to like out "of the box" triggers for some reason. :)

As someone new I have no idea whether my trigger is good bad or indifferent as far as shotguns go.  Its as standard as supplied by Beretta at present.

I am used to adjusting triggers on target rifles but there are lots of screws to play with on those and instructions in the manual which there don't seem to be with the shotgun.

For a start what sort of trigger weight should a shotgun be set at?  I have a Lyman trigger weight guage which I will have to get out and test the shotgun trigger. 

Its certainly quite heavy at present not that I think that light would be good for a shotgun.

between 2.5 and 4 lb I beleive is prob an average. main thing to avoid is drag as this makes a trigg feel worse than a heavy pull.

between 2.5 and 4 lb I beleive is prob an average. main thing to avoid is drag as this makes a trigg feel worse than a heavy pull.
Yeah, I like mine at 3.5lbs. Drag is a terrible thing and as you say it makes matters worse. :)

Had major drag issues on my DT10X one of the reasons it had to go. It was back a few times to UK importers but was never set to my satisfaction. A mate had one and hes was as bad strange because the 4 flat rib DT10s I have had have all been excellent straight out of the box. Me thinks the DT10X was built by a different set of blokes to the flat rib models and they are rubbish at building trigger units.  :(

Had major drag issues on my DT10X one of the reasons it had to go. It was back a few times to UK importers but was never set to my satisfaction. A mate had one and hes was as bad strange because the 4 flat rib DT10s I have had have all been excellent straight out of the box. Me thinks the DT10X was built by a different set of blokes to the flat rib models and they are rubbish at building trigger units.  :(
I had Gordon Swatton set my DT10 triggers when I got it, he got them right first time too. :)

I was told the trigger was set at 3lbs on the Miroku I used, lively! It felt much lighter than my Beretta, quite a difference as I shot a round of Skeet straight after.

How much does a gunsmith usually charge for the trigger to be lightened?

I was told the trigger was set at 3lbs on the Miroku I used, lively! It felt much lighter than my Beretta, quite a difference as I shot a round of Skeet straight after. How much does a gunsmith usually charge for the trigger to be lightened?
Depends on where you live and how well you know the gunsmith. There is no set fee for doing such work. :)

Back