Which barrel first?

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jagster

Hi Guys. Is there a normal convention as to which barrel should be fired first, and should this be a tighter or more open choke. Thanks

depends if your shootng a going away or coming towards target. For a trap going away type target you shoot the open choke barrell usually the bottom first then if you miss the tighter second barell choke is more effective at the increased distance. And the other way around for incoming target.

What he said.  Usually more open choke in the bottom barrel and that gets used first.  If you've got a really long way out target as the first of the pair you can always use your barrel selector to swop before you start to shoot that stand.

yep and what bebo said, selector is a wonderful thing, if you have it

I tend to shoot bottom first. Otherwise I forget to swop back and end up shooting a 40yard edge on crosser with cylinder and a 15 yard rabbit with 1/2.

The convention is bottom barrel first as it's lower and more inline with the shoulder so theoretically less muzzle flip and quicker target  accusation when taking the 2nd shot.

I can't say I have noticed the difference in flip but the above is often sited as the main reason to shoot bottom barrel first.

I tend to shoot bottom first. Otherwise I forget to swop back and end up shooting a 40yard edge on crosser with cylinder and a 15 yard rabbit with 1/2.
On our nationals last year the last pair was on report pair going away followed by incoming mini...chap was fiddling with barrel selector to shoot the upper more choked barrel first ...at the end he was was at shoot off for 3rd place - vertical teal with single cartridge - did I mentioned he forgot to switch it back to bottom first? Always U 1st - O 2nd  for me.

Watch someone with 1/2 and 1/2 fixed chokes hitting 60+ yard crossers and you realise that which barrel you shoot first makes hardly any difference.

Doesn't stop me flipping the barrel selector to use the more open choke I have loaded in the bottom barrel for the wabbits and close in ones or the tighter choke in the top barrel for edge on targets.

Makes me feel like I'm actually contributing to the game a bit! :)

The convention is bottom barrel first as it's lower and more inline with the shoulder so theoretically less muzzle flip and quicker target  accusation when taking the 2nd shot.

I can't say I have noticed the difference in flip but the above is often sited as the main reason to shoot bottom barrel first.
think this really goes back to when we used bigger loads like 32g for dtl plus I think guns generally are better fit and balance these days so as you say makes little difference these days imo

think this really goes back to when we used bigger loads like 32g for dtl plus I think guns generally are better fit and balance these days so as you say makes little difference these days imo
If you shot a multi choke it would not matter would it !!! at sporting

if you  shot the first target at lets say 70 yards edge on and the report bird was up your ass what would you say then ( I need multi chokes  :lol:  ) that's sporting 

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back